selling foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
I was just curious what your policies are concerning foals that are not weaned yet.....do you accept a downpayment......full price......deposits.....balance on delivery???

Most people i kno take a deposit and then they make payments until the foal is weaned and then pay the rest when they get the foal!

When I have bought sucklings, I make a deposit and pay off before the foal ships to me
default_smile.png

I get a deposit and when delivery is made I get the rest in cash!!!!! I have never shipped. I always deliver. I have been fortune to be able to do that. But if not cash (or check) before they ship!!!

My colt is for sale, and if someone buys him before weaning, I'll take a deposit to hold him, and paid in full before he leaves my property.

Jessi

I just bought a foal. We made our deposit when she was 17 days old. Then just shy of 4 mo I made the final payment and she was delivered to me. I was lucky and JuneBug was only 20 min away so I went and visited her about every other day. The breeder I got her from sells most of her foals before they are weaned. She has just been lucky and been able ot have great foals that are walking bilboards for themselves.

That is true. She over the last 20 years of breeding and was very knowledgeable. She also has great stock and only breeds for 2 foals a year. I already have my order in for a filly if she has any next year.

We have taken a deposit on our foals. Often the foals are paid for by weaning and delivery.......occasionally payments are spread out a bit further. It all depends on the individual sale how the contract is written.

I have purchased foals (that were not yet weaned) by word and claimed that foal as mine and paid for it when i picked it up, and i have also done deposit when i "claim" it and then paid the rest off when weaned.

Exactly like MiniV said, it will depend upon the contract ...

I start advertising my foals when they are 2 weeks old, and I am very blessed because they are usually sold before they are 5 weeks old.
default_wink.png
I take a deposit, & I ask the new owner what time of the month they would like their payment due. Depending on the price, I have a $400 or so deposit required & then I set up the payments for $300 or $400 a month. The foal is paid off by the time it is 4 months old then I will let the new owner take the foal home. I like my foals weaned a few weeks before they leave the farm. Our foals are trained to lead, tie & stand to be groomed. I think that is one of my good selling taticts.
default_smile.png
I always have a contract. cjmm

Latest posts

Back