Selling a stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Paradise

Reaction score
If a stallion is sold before his foals are born next year, can I register the foals under my name if I was the owner at the time of breedings? I am planning on sending stud report in for all the mares he bred even if they are not pregnant. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes because you were the owner of the stallion at the time of service.

Plus you would be anyway as the owner of the dams. You just won't need breeder certificates when you register them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually it is ownership of the mare that determines who is the owner/breeder of the foal. Even if you take the mare to someone else's stallion you will be listed as the breeder and original owner of the foal.

So yes, if you owned the stallion at time of breeding, you are the one that sends in the stallion report for the period of time that you owned him. If you owned the mare at time of breeding you will be the breeder of the foal, and if you owned the mare at time of foaling you will show on the papers as the original owner of that foal.

You will not have to send in a breeders certificate--all you will need is the regular application form (thinking AMHR here) because you owned both stallion and mare at time of breeding. It doesn't matter that the stallion has since been sold.

A couple of additional things to keep in mind - if the stallion has not been brought permanent in either amhr (age 3) or amha (age 5 now and 3 in the future)- you will not be able to register his foals until his status is updated. Also if he is registered amha and his dna is not on file, you will not be able to register his foals until the dna information is updated.

A couple of additional things to keep in mind - if the stallion has not been brought permanent in either amhr (age 3) or amha (age 5 now and 3 in the future)- you will not be able to register his foals until his status is updated. Also if he is registered amha and his dna is not on file, you will not be able to register his foals until the dna information is updated.
Thanks. He is 12 years old so he is permanent as well as DNA'd. He has had foals in the past. All of my horses are brought up permanent at 3 years of age for both AMHA and AMHR. Makes it that much simpler if you just get it done.

Latest posts

Back