Selling a mare and her filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
A buyer purchased a mare and her filly. Well, the filly will be weaned in aug. I wanted to send both at the same time but she wants one and then the other. She doesnt want to deal with weaning. She feels that it is too hard. So if she takes them a few wks apart the filly will be weaned and she wont have to deal with it and the filly will bond with her in the meantime. So my question is what shouldl I do?? I really want them to go at the same time. If not what would be the least stressful.

This was just covered by another poster a week or so ago. Same situation. Most said it is wiser to wean the foal and take the mare to the new owner first. Leave the foal in an environment it is comfortable with, the after the mare and foal have been seperated awhile. Give the mare time to dry up and the foal time to adapt to things without her.

Carolyn

I'm by no means an expert but I was just wondering would it be extra stressful to have to go through the weaning and have to adjust to a new home at the same time? What does she mean by not dealing with it...she's plopping the filly right into it, by having her weaned and moving her away from everything she knows all at once.

I just kinda feel bad for the foal.

I'm also not sure I understand the woman. They want the animals but not willing to do the hard stuff to have the good. I'm just a newbie but it just didn't sit right with me. If she wants to love the foal up first why is she taking the mom...is mom gonna be the runner up in the loving?

Don't know the woman, so please don't take offense if I am misreading the situation.

I dont take offense it is hard to get into everything when posting. She is a sweet lady and very loving to her animals. She just feels that if mom was around the filly would only bond with the mom and never come around to everyone else. I really dont belive that to be true. Then I was thinking on sending the baby first because she is buying another mare, too. I was going to send the baby and the other mare together. And then send mom a few wks later. Ugh!!!

What does she plan to do with the filly when she does bring her home in say..two weeks? Place them in the same pasture? Most likely filly will go right back to nursing!! Also, whats the hurry?? I would encourage her to take both and let them adjust and wean later. If she is buying both there should be no hurry unless the mare is getting dragged down by the filly.

That is the thing, the mare is not being taken down by the filly. Bith are thriving and barely interact with one another now! Knock on wood they are healthy and doing great. Her biggest thing is, she feels that the baby will not bond with them if mom is always around. But the mare is rebred anyway. I bought this mare and she had a daughter about 2 yrs old and thier was no attachment what so ever. It is a great mare and an excellent mom but she knows when the time is up!!! I am just afraid the lady will back out and just want the filly and I really think she will give them both a great home and she is great person! I would hate to see that happen! But I if she didnt want them that is fine, I have to do what is best for the horses. In my gut I think it would be too stressful to separate and then put them together again.

I posted this on the other thread. A couple weeks will not be long enough. As soon as the filly goes to the new home if they are not seperated she will go right back to nursing. You could end up with that filly for a couple months. I have had mares dry up and then let the foal nurse and bring the milk right back in.

If it were my pair, I would kindly explain its a lot less stress on the bred mom and the foal for them to have each other. Explain to her to seperate them on their own after they settle in. I wouldn't sell the pair if she didn't want to "deal" with it. The foal has a higher chance of injury or dehydration with the stress of weaning and a new home. Goodluck.

I normally separate for a few hours a day. Then all day. then permataly. Then baby leaves. they never return to mom again. So I dont know what would happen if I put them together again. Her thing is she doesnt think the baby will bind with her if mom is around. Or when ever she does separate them all heck will break loose. Like if she brings the foal to a show next spring the baby will go crazy.

I normally separate for a few hours a day. Then all day. then permataly. Then baby leaves. they never return to mom again. So I dont know what would happen if I put them together again. Her thing is she doesnt think the baby will bind with her if mom is around. Or when ever she does separate them all heck will break loose. Like if she brings the foal to a show next spring the baby will go crazy.

If I were buying them together I would bring them home together and wean the baby after they get adjusted in their new surroundings. JMO, it would be better for the horses.

It would be far prefered to move the mare first, then the filly. Let the filly stay where she's comfortable.

And yes, like everyone else said the filly will certainly start nursing again if they are pastured together at the new farm. It can take YEARS to fully wean a foal.

I would too. But she doesnt want to deal with the weaning. And she feels she doesnt have the set up to separate the 2 horses.

That makes it hard , she would be happier with the outcome if she just waits for you to wean them.

Babies do good when they have their farmiliar herd mates and surroundings with out mom

once they are used to that a move should go smooth

Well, I think she has answered her own question. If "she doesnt have the space to keep them seperate" then a mare and foal arent goint to work for her IF she wants them weaned anytime soon. It does not make sense to me at all. Does she think she will bring the baby home and after just two weeks the baby wil have no interest in Mom and just want human attention? I think she is better off buying just the filly or just the mare for now. Does not seem like she understands how it works. Also if the mare is rebred what does she plan to fo when the next foal is born?

I think you are in a bad situation. Kinda sounds like they want the filly and next years baby but Momma is just the by product. Also sounds like they have no experience with raising a foal, much less foaling. I would be wondering what they are going to do next year when this mare foals. Clearly they have not thought it out that far yet. I am sure you are happy to have found a nice home for both of them but it seems these buyers dont know exactly what they are getting themselves into. I think you need to have a long talk and explain how it works. Yes, they might end up backing out of the mare, but better that then getting them home, realizing they CANT keep her weaned and being upset, upset with you, and /or end up getting rid of one or the other. Better yet you could help them along and SHOW them how to work with baby and Momma together and give them some advice and some book suggestions on how to be prepared for the birth of the next foal. This could be a disaster in the making OR you could be guiding some new people along and fostering a lifelong love of mini horses. Think of it as a wonderful opportunity to give back to those that helped you when you were starting out!!

Very well put!!!! It is a beautiful thing but it must planned out accordingly. Maybe she just needs the foal. I cant subject my mare to this stress. If she stays that is fine, she does well here!!!

Latest posts

Back