seizures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontherisefarm

Reaction score
Does anyone know what could cause seizures in an othewise healthy looking horse ? Especially seizures that can end in death ... I am just looking for info.... Thanks for your time...

I sure dont, but I hope you find the answer!

HYPP, brain tumor, swelling of the brain, imbalance of brain chemistry - take your pick. If you have a horse experiencing this, get your vet out to figure out what is going on.

I don't know about horses, but my chihuahua was only 3 when she started having seizures. After lots of tests, the concluded it was idiopathic epilepsy (sp?). So that basically means they didn't know why a healthy dog was having seizures, but she was.

hyperlipemia (spelling?) causes seizures and from my experience in minis is usually the cause

Hi

By your comment above, did your horse die?

I have had a mare that had siezures and all types of bloodwork were done on her and nothing came back on them as being negative.

She is fine today, many years later with no other incidences.

B

Head injury could do it. Certain toxins possibly, though in most cases that would be convulsions rather than actual seizures.

Years ago, one of my mares had some seizures. It seemed to span about a year and we caught her at them 2-3 times. When we went out to feed, we found her kind of staggering and foaming at the mouth. I called the vet who arrived within about 45 minutes and each time, had we gone out at the time the vet arrived, we'd not have known she had an issue. Which made me think she'd been having them when we just were not around to notice. The final time the vet was out, she did some physical testing, like pulling her tongue out and she did not retract it quite as soon as she should (though she seemed "normal" to observe in the pen). She had me do different turns with her and her feet were not exactly coordinating as they should but within the span of her (short) visit, she was back to normal. She asked me to video if it ever happened again, but it never did. The last time was, I think, in fall 2005. She's a mare I drive and have a couple foals out of. One of my favorites. The first time I saw her having a seizure, I thought EPM or something worse, and honestly thought she was going to die (I am given to worst case projections), but it's been years and she's apparently perfectly fine.

I am inquiring not on a horse I currently own but one I raised and sold. It was a young horse and I dont know the details per say but was just trying to get some info as if this might possibly be a genetic thing then I need to do some re evaluating. The colt was less than a year and he died from what I was told. Sooo.. I am kinda concerned and also upset that this happened. way too young to lose his life and somehow I feel responsible even though I dont know the whole story and I dont even know if there was anything I could have done...

I did have a mare have seizures years ago. This mare only did it with a foal on her side. She was hypocalcemic (sp) and all her calcium went to her foal and she didnt have any. So was suggested not to breed anymore.Sold her to a pet home.

Thanks everyone for replying and trying to help me out.. I appreciate it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Many reasons listed above but you might include injury to the spine. I've seen foals & young horses dragged around by their head as they resisted. Later some of those horses experienced seizures. Did the one have anything to do with the other? Possibly.

Charlotte

I really have no idea what happened to him. Up until his first seizure he was known to be healthy. He went to a new home different than the one I sold him too and not long after that it happened. I just dont know what to think of it...

Thankyou everyone. I have found my answer... I appreciate all your help... Found out that it was an accident. Got kicked in head. caused brain swelling that wasnt identified at the time.. Thanks again for everything ...

Latest posts

Back