Scratching post??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajorClementine

Reaction score
So my minis have started rubbing on the chain-link dog kennel (in the winter pasture with them) and bending the heck out of it. They also scratched on their shelter so much that they nearly ripped one of the sides off it. I had to head out with scrap lumber and my screw gun to fix it twice this year. Granted, it's not fort knox but they are really hard on it. I was thinking about putting up a scratching post for them. I was thinking a pressure treated 4x4 post set in the ground (hello concrete!) and I was debating about putting one of those scratch matt things from horse.com. However, they are kinda pricy. So I've seen on another horse forum that some people buy large push broom heads and screw them to the post. Grooming and itch relief! I guess a natural bristle would be best but do you think synthetic would work too. I think they are less expensive. I'm thinking of putting the broom head on just one side so they can scratch on two corners of the other side as well.

What have you done for your itchy minis?

We were given some sweeper heads from parking lot sweepers, they are round brushes about 4 feet long that slide over a 3-4" fence post easily. Mine don't pay much attention to it most of the year but as soon as they start to shed they spend a great of time self grooming lol. We plan to mount a couple horizontal as well so they can scratch their bellies as well and just to give them choices on how and where to rub. The disadvantage is they do rub their butts at times and thats hard on tails (altho not as hard ad rubbing on a wall or fence for sure)

I think push brooms work great.

I've heard some people get used street sweeper brushes for cattle and stuff!

We were given some sweeper heads from parking lot sweepers, they are round brushes about 4 feet long that slide over a 3-4" fence post easily. Mine don't pay much attention to it most of the year but as soon as they start to shed they spend a great of time self grooming lol. We plan to mount a couple horizontal as well so they can scratch their bellies as well and just to give them choices on how and where to rub. The disadvantage is they do rub their butts at times and thats hard on tails (altho not as hard ad rubbing on a wall or fence for sure)
This is a great idea!!! My uncle works for the county plowing snow and whatnot. I bet he could get me the used street sweeper brushes. I'll ask him tonight when the kids all get together. Thanks for the idea!

I have a synthetic push broom head attached to one of the fence posts in their paddock. The bristles are all mangled and covered in hair, so I know they've been using it. But, sometimes they seem to need more. Might be time to replace the old one.

Latest posts

Back