"Scooting" --Picture now available of Lola

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

LGahr

Reaction score
I have always had dogs but this one has me bewildered. Am not a novice in this area at all...but, geez--

I got a little tiny and I do mean "tiny" female Chihuahua two weeks ago. she is cute and all that but she scoots her

butt on the carpet. I was reading the forum as I noticed and decided to ask....is this a common trait with chihuahuas or something?

My other dogs never did this. I took her to vet last week about 3 days after bringing her home....she got a clean bill of health and I mentioned it to him. She seems so young to do such a thing......he said not to worry if any worms they would be gone in no time and he wormed her. I am wondering if maybe she has impacted anal glands at ten weeks but am hesitant to express them at such a young age. So, here I am at 5 am asking this silly question at this silly hour but maybe someone out there has a chihuahua or knows the breed and can give me some insight. Has been a long long time since I was raising a puppy and maybe I am missing something. Am feeding her about five times a day. She only eats six or so pieces of dry food with1 teaspoon of "wet" food and usually does not clean it up. she has dry food available 24/7 but does not show any interest in it. Of course, fresh water alway, and when not right with me she is in a pack and play so she can't get lost or stepped on.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I do not want this to become a habitual learned behavior....my husband will have a hissy if he sees her.
default_wub.png
(like I really need to worry about this, too! omg.....what was I thinking????)
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Kendra

Reaction score
My chihuahua scoots his butt regularly, way more often than any other dog we've had. The vets always give him a clean bill of health.

Our big dog, who does get impacted anal glands, never scoots. Go figure.

funnybunny

Reaction score
Here are some reasons a dog scoots:

Anal glands need evacuating

Groomer has clipped hair around anus and new hair growth "tickles"

Dog is a bit constipated

Worms are tickling

Habit

LGahr

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I am warming the canned food now instead of adding warm water when I mix it with the dry-- if anything her stools are too moist. Not constipated that is for sure..... She has never had her butt clipped so no tickling.....oh please, no, do not let this become a habit!!!!

Am wiping her little fanny now with cotton ball when I take her out of pack and play and everytime she goes on the pee pads. I never thought I would spend my time wiping an 18 ounce dog's butt.....but whatever works. Nothing was achieved by attempting to express anal gland but I was real cautious trying to do it.....so, now I will wait and see.

I will post a picture tonite when things are calmer. thanks again....

jbrat

Reaction score
Poor Lola, I sure hope she doesn't have any problems. And that it is a habit she'll out grow????

She soooooooo Cute and very Tiny.
default_wub.png

Here's a couple pics.

Lola__Falana_aka_Scooter.jpg

all snuggled in her bed.

Lola_1.jpg

this pic. was taken by the breeder

Last edited by a moderator:

RallyZ

Reaction score
Ohhhhh sooooo cute.
default_wub.png

If her stools are too soft they may not be expressing the anal glands when she eliminates. Have you changed her food since you got her? I would be trying to get her stools firmed up before manually expressing the glands.

ruffian

Reaction score
I "Roomed" with a chihuahua at Nationals, and she was just a sweetheart! She would bounce onto my bed, and cuddle up, and I couldn't even feel her!

Leeana

Reaction score
I "Roomed" with a chihuahua at Nationals, and she was just a sweetheart! She would bounce onto my bed, and cuddle up, and I couldn't even feel her!
I roomed with that same chihuahua too...she slept on me one night actually
default_wub.png
, they are such good dogs
default_smile.png

barefoot

Reaction score
I have a Chi too. She is my baby. NOthing like them. I have joined a forum http://www.chihuahua-people.com/ Lots of good info.

The other possiblity for the scooting is allergies to her food. I guess Chi's are prone to it. It also shows up as tear stains under the eyes. My little girl was 5 when we got her and she had terrible stains. It is yeast over load I guess
default_smile.png
Her undereye is super clean now.

You can find names of grain free dog foods at. www.dogfoodanalysis.com Under reviews ANything with a rating of a 5 or 6 is good. We have used Wellness Core with good results. A raw diet is awesome too.

LGahr

Reaction score
thank you for the links am going to see what I can find. I never considered a food allergy. She does not have excess water in her eyes at this point but I will watch it carefully. Her breeder said use Diamond or Canidea -- I am using Canidea because that is what I found locally but maybe her breeder fed Diamond and that might account for a change in feed. I will see what I can learn this morning............thanks again.

I really appreciate your help!

barefoot

Reaction score
I think Canidea is a grain free dog food. So that is good.

The tear staining isn't exactly watering but reddish tear stains under the eyes. From natural/normal tearing.

barefoot

Reaction score
Correct myself, I looked it up. Canidea makes a grain free food. Their others have some good grains in them. They are rated a 5 which is good.

Alot of the Chi people like Origen dog food. I think that most of our dogs have an allergy to grains.

Shauna

Reaction score
Hi, i'm a new Chi owner too. I am having such a fun time with her. My little Phoebe is 5 1/2 mo. old and 2 1/2 lbs. of snuggle bunny. She also did the scooting thing, but it has finally simmered down to very little now. I had a terrible time trying to find food that she would eat, and that didn't give her the squirts, which probably made her do the scooting. Maybe some of them are a little prone to sensitive digestive systems?

Any way, I am currently feeding a partial raw diet with kibble as a backup. The kibble is Dick VanPatton's Natural Balance Ultra. She is doing great now, but has to be coaxed to eat the kibble regular.

My vet has assured me that a lot of Chi's are like that, and to just keep doing what i'm doing.

Have fun with your little girl.

Latest posts