Sciatic pain

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anoki

Reaction score
I have had a weak back all my life. Since I started working at a horse barn about 13 years ago, it has been much better and I have not had any serious issues with it...until last year when I started getting sciatic pain. Not horrible pain, just annoying. Riding actually seemed to help it believe it or not. Since that first episode last year, I've had it come back for the 4th time last week.....after haying of course. This time it was very very painful....moving my right foot from the gas pedal to the brake pedal while driving sent shooting pain down my LEFT leg!!! I had dog shows that I was already entered in the beginning of this past week, so I didn't have a chance to do anything about it. I finally got in to see a physiotherapist on Wednesday. Yep, it's sciatic....and he sure found the spot in my back causing it!!!!
default_unsure.png
owwwerrs.....after some manipulation, then some accupuncture I left feeling FAR more relief and more appointments for this coming week
default_wacko.png
. But I realize how much my back does bother me, even though I'm not in 'pain'. I was soo loose feeling in my back after that one appointment...but the next morning I was far more stiff than I was before
default_unsure.png
Sciatic pain is less everyday (and I have exercises that I have to do to help relieve it), but my back is stiff....

Those with back issues, what do you do to relieve the tension in your back???

~kathryn

Back pain isnt fun For me, I have to watch how I sleep or just relax. If I use a recliner the pain is worse. I have to lay completely flat, usually on my stomach. The more I draw my knees up/in, the worse the pain will get. Riding helps, as does exercise and stretching. There are specific stretches you can do, just google sciatic pain and a bunch will come up. Good luck!

I was in a bad horse accident during high school (I'm now 26) and my neck is actually angled forward now. It is supposed to be angled back. I have avoided the darn chiropractor for awhile now because I HATE IT. But the pain just kept getting worse and worse. And I am so stiff. Some days I have a hard time turning my head to one side or the other. I can't put my chin to my chest without pain shooting down my spinal cord either. So I have started going. I can't say I feel better from the adjustments but they also do massage therapy and that REALLY helps! I would like to find someone in my area that does the hot stone therapy. I think I would really benefit from that
default_yes.gif
I have started trying to treat myself by applying a heat wrap around my neck when I am relaxing and I also try to lay with a towel under my neck. That takes the pressure off and makes my neck sit at the angle it's supposed to be at. I have also had to change pillows. I love hard pillows but they keep my neck at such a un-natural angel. So now I am using a very flat, very smooshy pillow that keeps my neck pretty straight all night. I think it has been helping.

I also get sciatic pain when I drive long distances. It's always my left leg. I can't even explain the pain but it gets to where I just can't take it. And then it bothers me for the next few days. I have never mentioned it to my doctor because it only happens once in awhile.

Sorry I don't have any other advice for you. I hope you can find something to relieve your pain
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had back pain since my early twenties. I went to a chiropractor and he relieved chronic low back pain I had for years. In the mid eighties I threw my upper back out lifting a 50lb bag of feed. Had pain like it was a knife through my chest. Went to the Chiro and he adjusted me and the pain was gone. I have had sciatic pain along with arthritis for the last 16 years. When ever the sciatica cranks up I go for a few adjustments. My one rule of thumb is if the chiro doesn't make a difference in a couple treatments then check with an orthopedic surgeon or rheumatologist there might be something else going on.

Home treatment I use moist heat and cold, stretching the hip area and leg lift exercises. Also get someone to pull your leg gently stretching the space in your hip socket.

Oh yeah be sure to do both legs evenly to keep your hips balanced.

One more thing, I recently had a knee replacement. They almost pulled my leg off I think. When I woke up I had screaming sciatic pain. During the following 3-4wks until well after I started physical therapy the sciatica was horrible. I told the therapist and she checked my leg length and my right hip was significantly higher than the left. The therapist gave me an exercise to do.It took about 2 weeks of doing this exercise for the pain to go away. You could try it and see if it helps you. I could email the instructions to you. When ever I start to get sciatica I do this exercise and it seems to correct it quickly.

Good luck I hope you get your pain resolved real soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom has had the sciatic pain and she was recommended to a chiroprctor that has a compression chamber!! It was a long process and she had to go I think3 times a week but it has gotten rid of the pain!! She had been to a pain clinic, tried the shots, a regular chiro. and nothing worked for 3-4 years!! She still goes to this dr but once a week or every other week. She feels so much better. Try doing a google search to find out about the compression chambers!!

Latest posts

Back