scary afternoon, came home to horse leg hung in fence

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
I came home an hr early today cause I went in a hr early today from work. I bought some new baby chcks so drove to barn to put babies in my chick brooder. As I pulled up I noticed my 5 yr old Zarie laying beside the fence lookin at me with her leg in the air about 2 squares high in my fenceing. I ran to her to make sure she was truely stuck as she looked like she may have just rolled and her leg was just stickin through a lil.

As I reached her I realized its way more serious then it appered. I tried to get it off but the fence was so tight around her hock above her hoof that it was starting to indent into her skin and was starting to swell. I ran to the barn and grabbed wire cutters and cut the fence way. I thought maybe she broke her leg struggling but as I looked her over it appeard not broke. She wouldn't get up so I grabbed her blanket and droug her about 5ft away from the fence.

I went to the barn and grabbed some banimene and gave her a shot of that for any pain. I noticed she started to shiver and shake pretty good so I think she was a lil shocky from this. I looked at where she was stuck and it dont look all torn up so im guessing she didn't stuggle much. I got her to her feet and looked her over and make her walk a lil. She limps but not super bad. I kept an eye and her till dinner time and she stopped shivering and barly limping now. Barly any swelling and shes eating and even caught her and her momma gromming each other.

I believe she may have only been there for approximately and hr as the min swelling and stress marks on the ground around where she was. She also was not all sweaty or breathing hard. I fig with all my horses except 1 being really laid back, including my Zarie, I think this may have really helped with worse injury then what I could have came home to. Im so happy that I went straight to the barn and even came home early also cause I dont think I could have handled mentally what I might have had to go through. This mare is my baby girl and raised her from birth and the only foal I ever kept. Imprinted her into my lil spoiled brat and love her to death. Im just so happly that this ended so well and that she did so well in such a scary situation.

I just wanted to say that I have used this fencing ever since I got into minis and always thought it was safe and that the squares are plenty big enought to keep feet/hoofs safe... well I really did get a wake up call today that its not as safe as I thought. I know not all fencing 100% safe and after 10yrs of using it without incident, I will not under estimate it any more. Remember folks anything can happen even if your totally sure its safe. It just might not be...

I thank my lucky stars I still get to enjoy my baby girl!

What a frightening ordeal. Hope it didn't take some years off your life! Thank goodness it turned out all right.

I was boarding a horse last year and some neighbor dogs chased him. He got his hoof caught in the V of two tree trunks. What are the odds of that happening?? The dog owner got there before I did. The horse stood calmly; I am thinking they sort of shut down, like prey, when they are in that situation? I was going back to the house for a saw as we could not get his hoof out; he had forced it down into the V. Finally, the neighbor was able to break off one of the trunks and we lifted the hoof out. I was so happy it was not broken! He limped home, and I ran to the house to call a vet and get banamine. When I came out, he was lying down. Really in shock. I gave him the banamine and by the time the vet arrived he was walking around. Luckily, no damage. They can sure get hurt in strange ways.

So glad your baby is okay. You are absolutly right, no fence is 100% safe.

Happy to hear your girl is ok!!

May I ask what type of fence you have? I will keep it in my mind when I go to replace mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! That was scary! I'm so glad you came home and saved her when you did!

That's so scary! I'm glad shes ok!

Last edited by a moderator:
So glad to hear she is ok (and so are you!) Sounds like you handled the situation well & didn't panic. She's just as lucky to have you as you are to have her.
default_smile.png

Thanks guys

This morning all was good. Zarie has a slight limp to to being sore but no swelling and shes seems all good otherwise.

As for the fence, it is field fence from Red Brand. With the 4x4 squares and at the bottem where she was caught is 2x4 and 4 ft tall by 330 ft long. Im still gonna use it as it has been a good fence however I wont underestimate it anymore as being bombproof. Accidents can happen with any fencing and I was very lucky in this case to have not had a worse outcome then what could have been.

Latest posts

Back