Scariest delivery of my LIFE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Destiny4ever

Reaction score
Destiny started pacing around midnight last night, at 1:37 she laid down and her water broke. She pushed for 10 minutes and I saw nothing emerging so I got a little nervous. Then what I THOUGHT was the bubble of the sac, emerged, but then I saw it was a hoof. Just one. Not two. So I freaked out. I let her push for 5 more minutes then rung my vet's answering serice.

I got her up and walked her a bit, hoping the foal would slip into the correct position. It didn't and she was still straining badly so after 20 minutes of pushing I reached in and tried to find the other leg. I could only feel the head and the one leg that was emerging. It was awful. The vet had been called at 1:55, he didn't get there until 2:30, fast yes I know but it seemed like the longest 35 minutes of my life. I kept her up and walking even though she kept trying to strain. Twice more I let her lay down and tried to locate the other leg.

The vet arrived and after sedating her a bit, discovered the foals' head and neck were pointing down and one leg was back. He seemed very reserved and said we'd try to move the head around. At this point I knew the foal had to be dead, and was just hoping that we could save Destiny. Poor Destiny was trying so so hard. After 30 minutes of manuevering he finally got the head repositioned and while Destiny was standing, he helped pull the baby out slowly. The nose came out and its nostrils were moving! BREATHING!

Finally around 3:05 the baby was delivered. He immediatly started scrambling around and snorting! Destiny just stood there, exhausted for like 10 minutes while we dried him off and cleared his airways. Before we could get a clamp on the cord he was scrambling around and getting half up. Destiny finally noticed she'd foaled and turned around to nuzzle him. We clamped and cut the cord. He was up within 6 minutes, nursing within 10!

This boy is A FIGHTER! Destiny was given a good dose of antibiotics, and made me promise to go get some sleep. Which I did, and came back this morning. She still hasn't passed the placenta so the vet is coming back out around 10:30-11am. Then Wednesday we are going to do an IcG on the colt.

I thought last night he was a sorrel, but this morning he is very very light colored with liver around the eyes and he has a pinkish tint to him. I sincerely think he's a palomino.

I'll have pictures as soon as I can post. Momma is doing good, and already eating her breakfast. She is a bit protective of him, but nothing like she was with Stormy. She at least lets me handle him. And boy is he inquisitive! Getting into everything, already running around his stall although he isn't even unfolded yet!

Whew what a night. I never ever ever want to breed a mare again. This is it. It was worth it in this case, but so scary. I could've lost Destiny as well as the foal. I'm just glad all seems to be going well. He's already pooped and is nursing up a storm. He's a very healthy colt!

Elizabeth

So glad you had a good outcome and that the boy is fine and hopefully Destiny will pass the placenta by the time you get to post pics. Bless her.

Gonna try some pictures..

Sorry they are so big I can't seem to get them smaller...

Here are pictures taken just after he was pulled free and while momma was bonding with him. Doesn't he look like a sorrel or is it just me?

The vet drying him off and checking him out..

DESTINYFOALEDOUT6-6-06002.jpg

Wobbly but wanting to get up..just a few minutes after delivery

DESTINYFOALEDOUT6-6-06001.jpg

Love at first sight!

DESTINYFOALEDOUT6-6-06004.jpg

It is scary when that happens, I'm so glad that everything turned out ok for you. I can't wait for pictures he sounds like quite the little man
default_wub.png
:

I'm so glad everyone came thru ok...........this, then, truly is Destiny's Child??? You could call him "The Kid" around the barn. I'm so happy for you.

I bet he ends up being a pretty golden palomino
default_yes.gif
:

Gald he ending up being ok!! :aktion033:

Glad it all turned out well and what a pretty colt you have.

Joyce

Wow, thank heavens the placenta stayed in there til you at least got him out. Congrats and how scary to have to go through that!! Glad it all turned out ok!!! Get some rest!

Good grief! What a scare and thank goodness your vet was so fast! Look at that little wooley mammoth!! Doesn't he know it's summer! He looks palomino to me too.

Congratulations on a cute colt! And surviving the ordeal! I know how scary it is when things aren't going right!

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

CONGRATULATIONS on your beautiful baby boy! And on getting through that very harrowing experience....but you did everything right and it all worked out right too!

From the pics he looks pally to me too.

Charlotte

I'm reserved on the colour but in these situations, quite frankly, who cares???

He is alive, he is beautiful, his colour will be obvious in a couple of days time anyway!!

CONGRATULATIONS thank heavens for your Vet, give him a BIG Lil Beginnings HUG from us all, he is a keeper!!
default_yes.gif
:

Congratulations on your colt!! :aktion033: I'm so glad that he and your mare are fine. When I looked at his pictures I thought the colt looked like a buckskin. Than seeing the dried off pictures I thought palomino. Does he have dark points on his ears?

I have seen foals of this colour end up a deep golden palomino, so that would be my guess. As rabbitsfizz said, who cares?? He's alive and safe :aktion033: :bgrin

WHEW! Thank goodness! Give your momma mare a big hug! He'll need quite a name now! Congratulations on your LIVE baby colt! Yippee!

:aktion033:

From what you describe, it could have so easily been a "WRECK"! Obviously your little guy was supposed to be born!
default_yes.gif
:

He looks like he could be palomino, but hard to say til he's dried off........He's a cute little stinker!

MA

default_yes.gif
: YEP! He definately looks palomino to me! CONGRATULATIONS, and so glad you were able to save this sweet boy!

Latest posts

Back