Scammers!!! Using OUR e-mails!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horsefeathers

Reaction score
In the past few days I have received several e-mails from different Miniature horse farm's e-mail addresses containing "documents" which I am certain (because Norton scanned them) contain viruses. Now, I am sure that none of these miniature farms intentionally sent me a virus. I know this because this morning I received a "mailing failure notice" saying that an e-mail I had supposedly sent to another horse farm failed to go through. I never sent an e-mail to them....upon reading all the information, it once again contained a "document" which I'm sure contained a virus... If you have received an e-mail from me containing one of these "documents" I'm sorry...it wasn't me... I am SO sick and tired of all the SCAMMERS and HACKERS... I am currently running a spyware and adware program to search and destroy whatever they put on my computer... ARGGGGGGG it just makes me mad.... Sorry just had to vent.... Please be careful...
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
torch.gif

I have had those come to me as well. They usually end up in my bulk mail box so I am assuming that the mail program is recognizing them as not being individually sent from the persons the email claims. I also would never open any document that I didn't know was coming, from ANYBODY. And it also shows the odd suffix at the end .pix or something like that which is VIRUS...

If any of you receive anything like that - first off, if it has my email on it, I DID NOT send it, lol... secondly DO NOT OPEN IT.

If you are in doubt-about any attachment, which in these days there is a good reason to be... I allways go to the breeders connect and find the farm that "so called sent it to you", and ask them if they sent it to you before opening it... I get at least 3 virus attachments daily, to delete, from places that claim to have something to do with members password, or notification, or something official sounding... Once they find you, it is hard to get rid of them,
wacko.gif
so they try new tactics to get you to open them.

I think they've used MINE too-- I was contacted by someone saying an email I sent them had a virus, but I'd never sent them an email.
ohmy.gif

What do we do to get out of these people's clutches????

This is not the result of scammers but it is the result of a virus. A virus will harvest the host computer for e-mail addresses and then sends out e-mails that appear to be from that address. So if your address was ever part of a group e-mail then it will be ripe for the plucking. Basically someone you know has a virus and it might take some work to track down who.

To prevent this from happening, when you are sending out group e-mails send it to yourself and then (BCC)blind cc it to everyone else. The same applies to forwarding an e-mail on that has been through many forwards before. Always strip the old e-mail addy's from your forward.

I had this happen a couple of weeks ago. You need to go into your email account immediately and change your password. Someone now has that information and is using it to spam other people. My internet provider told me what happened is I was pinged while online without my firewall and they were able to obtain that information. That is why I now have 2 firewalls active at all time. Hope this helps.

yes.gif

I do that too EMB.....any forward I get I use the BBC to forward it so no one else can see anyone's e-mail address. And before I send the forward I delete out the e-mail address' of all the others. I don't know why others don't do that. Or you can cut and paste the forward onto someone else instead of just forwarding everyones e-mail address' that are on the forward. That way it keeps others address safe.

Magic said:
I think they've used MINE too-- I was contacted by someone saying an email I sent them had a virus, but I'd never sent them an email.  
ohmy.gif
What do we do to get out of these people's clutches????

458773[/snapback]

First thing you do is STOP posting your email address on a "PUBLIC FORUM". They have "robots" out there, and that is what they look for (email address'). Set up a yahoo or hotmail account that you can use for junk mail and keep your private one private. Give it only to people you know you can trust. Never use the preview pane in Outlook Express, if that is what you are using. If you are on a POP3 server, you can get a program called JBMAIL that will look at your mail while it is still on the mail server (before you download it to your computer). You can delete unwanted stuff without downloading.
yes.gif
(It is a free program)

You can't stop someone from spoofing your address. You can't stop a virus

from doing this if they got your address from an infected computer that has

your address in its address book. Anybody can spoof a sender, just as anyone

can put your return address on an envelope when sending snail mail. You can

look in the message headers to see the originating IP, and try to contact

the abuse department for whomever owns that netblock (see

www.arin.net/whois) but I'd probably get tired of doing that a lot and

simply delete the offending mail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts