Scammers still trying...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGFarm

Reaction score
Received an email from a 'Kevin Smith' in CA, claiming he is an experienced rider and has learned all skills that can suit all animals. He wants to know my 'final price' and see pics. Oh he will be sending a check for the price of the horse and his 'personal shippers' pick up fee, and as soon as I get the check he will let me know his shippers info to send the extra money to. He wants my full name, address and my phone numbers. Oh and how kind.... he then claims I can come and see the horse in his barn any time I want and the travel expenses will be taken care of by him- isn't that nice?!
default_wacko.png

From 'Kevin Brown' - email address is [email protected]. Wonder if he's Kevin Smith's cousin? That was the name used on a previous scam just like this one.

They need to go get a McJob............... <sigh>

Oh then the next email is another one:

Dear seller, Good day to you..i saw your horse on equinehits which is for sale and i want to buy it for my brother as a birthday gift..i will like to know the present state of the horse and the last asking price for it.I will handle the pick-up/shipping via international shipping co.i am familiar because of the previous inconvenience encountered.Payment will be made via cashier's check cash able at your bank or cash point of your preference.get back to me so that the payment can be processed as soon as possible.My shipper will be coming to the location for pick-up after you have confirmed the payment .Hope to hear back from you as soon as possible.. Regards, David

Sender Information

Name: David

Email: [email protected]

Phone: NA

Last edited by a moderator:
I got one the other day about a car that I had for sale.
default_new_shocked.gif

I do not have a car for sale.

They will not give up until there are no more idiots out there that believe them.

LOL, they must have filled in the wrong word in the 'blank' on their generic 'fill in the spots' emails!! Well, shucks, maybe you could sell them something?! Hahaha

Gee, think I'll sell to the first guy since he has offered that I can come and see the horse any time at his expense, and the second one didnt offer that.
default_frusty.gif

Hee Hee, there is a website out there, wish I could remember the link where a lady posts all her scammer e-mails and just messes with their heads! If they try to buy a piano, refrigerator or car from her horse ad, she'll just string them along and pretend to sell to them it is absolutely hilarious!
default_laugh.png

I had one of those when I showed rabbits. I had 4 does and 3 bucks for sale. He said he wanted 2 does and a buck. I sent pictures. Oh, they were going to india. I asked him which ones he wanted. he would just repeat that he wanted 2 does and a buck. They were chinchilla mini rex. finally I got fed up with him and asked for a contact number and said I would not sell the rabbits unless I could speak to him. I never heard anything from him again.

This one wasn't a scammer (that I know of). But I've been advertising my filly locally. I get an email in complete spanish. I can pick out a few words like $500 and pick up tommorrow (sorry, but she's not pet quality and I have her advetised for $1000). And if you're going to email someone, how about do it in the language the ad was placed in??? So that was a couple weeks ago. Then a couple days ago, I get a spanish guy calling. He can hardly speak english. Asks if I have a mini horse for sale, I say yes. Then he asks how many inches, I say 36". Then he proceeds to ask if I have one 30" (which I have 1 ad for 1 mini horse for sale). Then he asks my bottom price. I told him $1000, she show quality, not a backyard pet. Oh, it just irritated me! Don't call me when I have specifically put everything in my ad, want a cheap horse. Hubby said that doesn't sound like a family we want her to go to anyways (I'm not racist or anything). And there are tons of pet quality minis on this local website for $500. Why bother me if you're not serious in buying a show quality horse???
default_wacko.png
Sorry, had to get that off my chest!

OMG, this is annoying!! I just got ANOTHER one! Note the phoney location on this one! Yeah, someone is going to buy a $500 horse to ship to Lebanon... right.

Hello Seller, Good Day...I am interested in finding out more information about your listing.I would like to know more about [describe any information or questions you might have here],Provide photos and state final asking price.I will like to hear from you as soon as possible.So that could process right away with payment. Awaiting your response. . Ryan

Sender Information

Name: Ryan Renee

Email: [email protected]

Phone: NA

IP Address: 80.89.176.36

A horse I used to own went to a new home. He didn't work out for that family so they decided to sell him. I told her to please have any interested people contact me for past history on the horse. So, I get this email from a prospective buyer yesterday:

Hi Martha,

**** told me that you could tell me more about **** ? Tell me what have you done with him have you show? what he have done? I want to buy him from her. Thank ****** (**are removed names)

So I email the seller, and suggest this might be a scam, because of the illilteracy. But, she said she has spoken to the person on the phone, who is hearing impaired. (Sorry, but I've heard that one before.)

I went ahead and sent the info as the seller requested--after all, maybe it is up and up. At least the email appeared to originate in the US. Supposedly, this person is sending half the money and will pay the rest when the seller travels 3 hours to meet her at a central location. If it turns out to be a real deal I will be surprised.

My cousin got an e-mail on a ferret she has for sale--she thought it sounded weird and when she sent it on to me I said it sure sounds like the typical scammer. The person was hearing impaired so couldn't phone, had to do the transaction via e-mail, wanted to know the last health and final price, and would pay by check. My cousin replied that she'd have to wait 2 weeks for the check to clear, and the buyer replied saying there was no need for that, it was an 'instant cash' check
default_rolleyes.gif
and so would clear instantly. cousin then asked where the person is located (I was sure it was going to be somewhere overseas) but it was Illinois. Cousin was fed up by then & wrote back informing the person that he/she is an a**hole and that there were ferrets in Illinois so he/she could buy one of those.

They are a pathetic bunch eh?
default_wacko.png

I get allot from other websites where i list horses...so far though, ive not received any scammer emails from dreamhorse or horsetopia...so i mainly stick to those now and do not both putting them on the other smaller website..

I always get a good laugh out of some of the emails...i mean could they be any more obvious??? They all must be using the same handbook
default_wacko.png
. Talk about lack of effort...

Keep in mind 99% of these folks are from Nigeria- no schooling, especially in English.

And yes, the 'hearing impaired' is a new scam they are using so they can get folks on the phone right there and seem more 'real' but then you can't hear the accent, etc... and what they are really like.... they are using that a lot now.

I got one the other day about a car that I had for sale.
I do not have a car for sale.
I got that same one and I, too, don't have a car for sale.
default_rolleyes.gif
Are people still falling for these scams? They've been out for so many years now and they all say the same thing, you'd think nobody would ever respond to them. Guess it must work some or they wouldn't keep doing it??
default_wacko.png

I just got one also. Wanted to know the lowest price on my "item" Whenever I get an email asking about anything I have for sale that looks suspicious, I send an email back asking for a name, complete mailing address and working phone number. If the person complains (and one called me a scammer) I explain that they have all that information from my ad and it is only fair that I be allowed to have their information if I am going to trust them and do business with them. I also explain that every one of my horses is special to me and I want to be sure they will be going to a good place. Usually don't hear from them again. If I goof and the request is ligitimate, they will usually send me an email with a phone # and an area they live in and we go from there.

lol one time i posted an ad on this saleboard asking for the e-mail addy/phone number of a lady i bought a horse from as i had lost her contact info and wanted to get a hold of her. I get one of these scam e-mails asking if they can BUY HER (they saw my ad and apparently thought she was for sale.....lol)!! i responded something like "well thanks for your inquiry. I'd be happy to sell her for 1,000,000. Although to be honest i'm not so sure SHE'D be too happy that I sold her.... please send me my money ASAP and i'd be happy to make the deal" it was something to that effect..lol Sorry but it's pretty stupid to send an ad wanting to buy SOMEONE..lol he should have read the ad just a TEENY bit closer...LOL nothing like a dead give away even if they were a bit less transparent to begin with..LOL

OMG Boinky, that is FUNNY!!!! Hey, I would have done the same! A million dollars is nothing to sneeze at- you can apologize to the lady later, LOL
default_new_rofl.gif

Yes, rather than goof, some want to know about the 'item'. And that is a good idea about asking for phone number and even a city and state. You can't be too careful these days.

Latest posts

Back