scammer?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevann

Reaction score
I noted a request for surgery funds on the saleboard for Alfina a severely neglected Mini mare.Note said all funds went directly to Cornell where surgery will be.When I tried to donate note came up that funds were going to someone with Welsh pony site.E mailed person who posted-no response.I would like to help if this is legit, but don't want to give money to a scammer. Any way moderators can check out this request?

*This fund raiser is a legitimate request, approved and running as a Feature Ad. on our sales board ... and Not a scam. Personal fundraising is not allowed on the forums. -admin

Last edited by a moderator:
Post deleted , It was not directed to the currant owner only the previous owner who treated her so badly.

Horse had been severely neglected when it came to them from FL.Tooth issues I think that had existed for a long time.Vet from previous owner had signed off as horse being healthy.From photos posted it is obviously NOT Yearling filly weighs only 76 lbs.surgery is $3000.to be done at Cornell which I know is excellent.Wish the original poster would respond to my e mail.

I know this person and this horse, and this is legit. Cornell has been very instrumental in helping this little one, whose doesn't just have tooth issues, her face is severely broken in several places that caused the infections and tooth issues, and all the treatments they've tried are only keeping this little one going. She has gained some weight, and was being kept with alpacas, that had attacked her and broken her. This horse came from Georgia, not Florida.

This ad went through Debby Bowen here on LB, and she knows about this poor little thing too. They've spent over $1,600+ dollars, and now Cornell says this is the only way to really save her from this continuing infection and pain. The money is going to a person, Deb Robison, who will be taking her to Cornell for the surgery, and yes, she did own a successful Welsh Pony farm, and has now gone into Falabella and American miniatures.

If you have any questions please call the vet, Dr. Ashley Branich at Perry Vet Clinic in Perry, New York, who has been taking care of this horse, and is coordinating the care with Cornell University. Her number is: 585-346-2140.

Bevann, Deb has not received your email, as I just spoke with her. If you PM me, I'll confirm the email address for you.

Last edited:
Glad to know this is legit.I will be making a donation.Sounds like this poor abused baby needs all the help it can get.Thanks for clearing up the confusion.There are so many scammers out here today on the internet it is sometimes difficult to know what is real.

Hi Bevann,

I checked my email after I received a call from Diane of Castle Rock Miniatures. I did not see your email you sent me today and after I spoke with Diane, I found your email in my junk mail. I only check "Junk" mail each evening after dinner, or I would have responded to you.

Yesterday, I was contacted by a lovely woman named Judy from a reputable mini farm and she was so helpful and supportive. It really helped to speak with Judy and I enjoyed her input and advice regarding our very ill filly, Alfina.

We have been working very closely with our vets at Perry Veterinary Clinic, Perry NY and our main vet, Dr. Ashley Vranich is the vet in charge of this case. She has been working with doctors at Cornell and we received an estimate that the initial work up will cost around $600 for X-Rays (our vet took X-Rays in the field already) and blood work,etc. Then the estimate for the surgery is between $3000 to $5000 depending on what they need to do to clean out the dead tissue, pus, decaying teeth and roots. We are not sure how long post-op will be for, nor the additional cost if there is any.

So, we have put a lot of money into her already and are saving up as well towards this surgery, but we are not able to reach our goal without the generosity of others who want to help, or offer assistance for Alfina, which we greatly appreciate.

I had also contacted Debby here at Lil Beginnings and she is well aware of our poor baby, and helped us put this ad together to help raise funds for Alfina.

Over the past several months we have had Alfina, our goal has been to try and control the swelling and infection and for her to gain weight, strength and stamina. It is difficult for her to breathe keeping her in a weakened state.

We are trying our best to help her as she is a pure Falabella filly and being that there are not that many of these little miniatures in the world, euthanizing her is not something we really want to do. She also deserves to live as she has struggled all of her life where she was born and has survived in spite of these hurdles she has had to try and overcome without meds, vet care, or loving care by her breeders and former owners.

The worst part about this poor filly is that the sellers' vet actually signed a health certificate for this filly right before she shipped, however this vet failed to mention the animal's condition, poor weight, upper respiratory infection with foul smell, and that she put her on antibiotics that the sellers didn't bother to inform us about, nor hand them to the shipper for the filly that their vet prescribed.

The only comment made by the sellers when we questioned the condition of this filly upon arrival was that she left "just fine" and she must have gone down hill on the "UNSAFE" trailer experience according to their vet!

In the end, we no longer care about the breeders of this filly because our vet contacted the proper authorities to report them as well as their vet and with a bit of pressure, this breeding farm, sold off their Falabellas at ridiculously low prices and shut down their website, email, phone and now they are no where to be found. Hopefully, they will not resurface with another business name and start up another breeding business and dupe unsuspecting buyers and do wrong by their own bred animals!

What we care about is getting Alfina better by providing her with the life saving surgery she desperately needs. Thanks so much for being a concerned horse person, wondering if this was NOT a scam and then generously donating to Alfina after Diane answered your concerns and questions! Thanks so much from the bottom our our hearts. We cannot thank you enough for your help!

DJ

The solution, put forth by Jan BKS above, is the reason I never donate to rescues. They are always in a state of a pity party, using the animals as a way to make money. I take on an animal once in a while to help it. I do not make web pages or FB pages, begging for money to help an animal that I choose to help.

The rescues believe that they are the only ones with the right to take in sick and injured animals and ask for help to take care of them. If an individual did the same thing, they are looked down on and told to let a rescue do it as they know what to do.

If I had any extra right now, I would surely give it to help this single person who took in this filly, not knowing it's condition till it arrived. She is doing what is right for the animal. To say that she should just "give it to the rescue that CAN help it is pure foolishness.

Sorry for the rant, but I get so sick and tired of people thinking the only ones that have the right to ask for help is a rescue, that no-one else is deserving of help.

We appreciate all the support here. We were duped by the sellers of this filly and had to act quickly and depleted our funds to keep this filly alive. She is a pure Falabella and there are only just over 2000 of them worldwide. Alfina is therefore one that we could not just euthanize or give to a rescue. We have done our best to put weight on her, and care for her. Our vets have done a great job rotating meds for her to keep the swelling at bay and the raging infection to a manageable state.

Surgery is her only option to remove the damaged tissue, bone, teeth and roots that are compromised and embedded in her nasal passages. She has suffered her whole life as this infection has been present a very long time and her condition upon arrival was horrible. If it wasn't for Alfina's fighting spirit, and will to live she would have died months ago.

So happy we have the opportunity to do right by her and with the help and support of caring horse lovers out there, it will happen. Everyone is rallying around her and we are getting closer to our goal of raising the rest of the funds to help her. All monies raised go directly to Cornell and her care.

God bless all who have shown support and have donated, we thank you!

The Robison Family

You are welcome Debbie. I hope and pray for good results for your little girl.
default_pray.gif

Please keep us updated on Alfinas surgery and care, I pray that she responds well.

As I indicated in the beginning we don't allow personal fundraising on the forums so no mention of soliciting funds. I know I would like to know how she is doing so please when you have some updates start a new post with updates and photos of her journey.

The original question has been answered. -admin

-

In reading the posts about Alfina, I also believe I purchased two horses from this GA seller last year. They were my very first minis and I know now I didn't ask the right questions, however, I had a vet appointment set-up upon their arrival.

The mare was quidding food and had extreme steps and ramps that had cut into her cheeks and an infection had become pretty serious. The four month old filly (a pure Fallabella) had/has an extreme case of "monkey mouth" or a sever under bite. She will have a life-time of special dental care needs.

When I contacted the seller about how I felt duped, she said the mare's teeth had last been floated about 2 years prior. That as a pasture broodmare, she was never caught, but since her weight looked ok, the seller felt she was in good condition. She admitted that she should have told me about the filly's bite.

I was beside myself and angry that she was so nonchalant about the situation and suggested giving me a weanling for free, as a good gesture, as long as I paid for the shipping. Suffice to say, I did not take her up on the offer.

I tried to leave reviews about this seller everywhere I could to warn others. I looked for her website yesterday and could not find it. The last entry on the business' FB page was in Aug 13. I too hope they never open another business. The positive in all this is that they are both in a loving home where they want/need for nothing. I feel like I was able to rescue them before any more damage could be done.

My very best to DJ and Alfina.

Cyndi

Yes, their website is gone. And these sellers admitted that they didn't vaccinate their horses, or give them ANY dental work, so the last time the mare had dental work was probably when they purchased her -- 2 years before you purchased her.

Their non-vaccination policy caused several other health problems for Alfina and 3 mares she was purchased with, and hopefully Deb will share.

So sorry, you, too, had a bad experience with this seller. Luckily, most breeders CARE about their horses and do the best for them.

It's so important for horses to be vaccinated at least minimally, and dental care is so important for their health and well being for eating just to stay alive.

KUDOS for you taking on these two and giving them a loving and caring home.

Last edited:
Hi Cyndi,

I feel for you after reading your post regarding how the sellers in Evans, Georgia poorly treat not only their animals but their customers as well. I am happy to hear that you took them and have given them a loving home. Kudos to you. I wonder if the "free" filly that they wanted to give you was possibly Alfina!!!

Alfina was a last minute addition to the three pregnant mares I got from the sellers. I was contacted by the sellers via email and was asked if I was interested in taking a "very thin" filly and the seller also stated, "I wish she could go to a farm that can give her more attention." That's why I took her. I thought she was just skinny and since she passed the "health" exam with their vet for transport, I could offer the filly a loving home with food to fatten her up.

What came out of that trailer was what everyone saw in the pics, a poor baby in desperate need of care. Both the sellers and their vet blamed a very "UNSAFE" trailering experience as the cause for Alfina's condition upon arrival. Yes, they passed the buck to the poor shipper and his trailer stating that it "harboured dangerous diseases", and that is why she arrived on death's door. They stated when she left their farm she was, "just fine"! Yet, the sellers were present during the loading of the four minis heading to my farm. If they were so concerned and willing to blame the shipper for his "UNSAFE" trailer, why then did they load the four mares onto the trailer? They stated that they loaded well and were heading up to my farm. No concerns from them regarding this very "UNSAFE" description of the trailer.

Alfina's mouth was a mess too. My vet was examining Alfina's teeth and was appalled at her condition. She had lacerations on her cheeks and tongue and when my vet showed us how badly her mouth was cut up, my kind neighbor (who spends time everyday visiting with Alfina, giving her treats and loving her) reached into her mouth to feel the points on the side of Alfina's teeth and cut her finger open. We were all stunned on the overall condition of this mare, but upon viewing her mouth we fully understood why Alfina suffered so much. My vet ranked her on the scale at 1-1.5...emaciated and starving to death. In addition to not being able to eat, Alfina was suffering from a raging infection of her face. This poor thing was near death upon arrival. We worked so hard to bring her back from near death, and continue to monitor her daily.

I was treated horribly by the sellers, calling me "frivolous" and accusing me of reporting them to several state, local and national authorities. But, the truth is my vet reported them for neglect and cruelty, and their vet for examining Alfina and signing a health certificate. Their vet did not list any of these issues on the state health form, yet when the NYS Attorney General's Office contacted them, their vet wrote these concerning descriptions of Alfina's condition on her written report to the NYS Attorney General's Office: "Quite thin", slight snotty nose with odor,slight heart murmur, upper respiratory infection, possible parasitism, dwarf characteristics, started on oral antibiotics. The sellers never stated in their description nor did their vet list these findings to us, so they duped us and sent us this very emaciated, ill baby. And, they DID NOT include her oral antibiotics for the trip up to our farm! It would have been nice to know these things prior to her leaving, especially since their vet stated not once but twice on her assessment of Alfina that she had dwarf characteristics. We are a breeding farm. We were purchasing three pregnant mares and a young filly for our breeding program. We would certainly not have considered a filly who had "dwarf characteristics" for breeding.

My three pregnant mares upon their arrival looked "excellent" compared to Alfina. But, upon my vet's examination of the three pregnant mares, under their shaggy winter coats, were three thin mares, too thin for their third trimester. Again, nothing was mentioned on their vets report upon her inspection of the three mares being thin. She signed off that they were healthy and ready for transport. My vet looked at their teeth and was disgusted with the condition of their teeth and cut up mouths. Our vet assessment was that the mares had poor oral care, poor body condition and poor, dull coat condition. They were loaded with dander. Our vet had us increase their feed intake gradually to accommodate the mares' growing fetuses.

The first mare delivered a stillborn filly after suffering to expel the dead fetus for hours. The second filly was born with neurological problems of the back end (upon her day one foal exam, she was in excellent condition, but within a week we noticed that she had problems with her weak back end) which was possibly indicative of the Rhino Virus. I immediately contacted the sellers to ask if they gave the mares the important 5,7,9 month Rhino vaccines to prevent problems with the foals, and this is what the seller stated in an email to me: "I don't vaccinate for Rhino. Have my reasons for this." Unbelievable, and this was never disclosed to us prior to purchasing the pregnant mares!

We had one foal left to be born, so my vet made sure the third mare got the much needed vaccines and nutrition, and we ended up with a beautiful and healthy foal because we did right by the third mare and the end result was a gorgeous fully formed, healthy baby.

We had paid in full for the two mares who had difficulties with their foals, and we made a payment on the third mare. We owed on Alfina and the balance on the third mare, but after finding out from the sellers that they would not guarantee a live foal (even though we purchased and paid for the pregnant mares), and with the mounting vet bills that far exceeded the price, we wanted the sellers to send the paperwork on Alfina and the third mare in lieu of the expensive vet bills we were saddled with. The sellers promptly sent a nasty and sarcastic letter to us stating for us to "pay for the horses, or send them back". They have threatened to sue us for payment and for "stealing" them. Our vet bills for Alfina alone are triple what their price was for the mares.

The most important point to make very clear here is that after the pressure put upon them from the NYS Attorney General's Office, the ASPCA, The National Board of Veterinary Medicine and the Georgia State Agriculture Offices, the sellers listed their remaining Falabellas on Lil Beginnings Sales Board at rock bottom prices, took their website down, removed contact information and are no longer anywhere to be found. One wonders if they will resurface with a new business name and focus on their Appaloosa mini breeding program that they stated they wanted to focus on.

Hopefully this will not be the case, but they do have several appaloosa minis on their farm and at least three foals born this year.

Cyndi, so glad you posted on the forum and shared with other breeders your devastating experience. At least your babies are now loved and well cared for. Thanks for sharing.

Hickory Springs, I am so sorry for what you have been through with the horses you purchased from that farm. I made a mental note years ago to avoid that one as some of the pics I observed on the website did not depict what I considered to be horses with a good feed/health care program, and things didn't 'look right'. Apparently that was only the tip of the iceberg!!!

I am hoping that neglect charges are being brought against the breeder, or I fear they will just continue on? Have watched something similar here in the state just down the road, but finally now the horses were seized and charges have been filed. It took a long time for it to happen, and the horses were the ones that suffered- some died, in the meantime.

For those that purchased horses from the farm in GA, it sounds like this was their normal MO in regard to horses leaving there with problems. What a sad life- I am glad to hear that the ones sold are in good loving homes now!

Why I am responding...Alfina is damaged and needs your help to fix her. She was abused and neglected-we found that out in February 2014,

when she couldn't even walk off the trailer when she arrived. Her condition was awful. She was NOT a rescue but the purchase of "a little, thin" horse.

Since then, she is doing better under the care of Deb Robison and her vet, Dr. Ashley Vranich.

Today she needs surgery at Cornell University for the injuries she has suffered at the home farm in Evans, GA. Estimate for her surgery at Cornell is approximately $5000.00

I live next door and help care for Alfina and the other animals everyday. "Alfie" has come from a frightened little girl to a friendly little girl and she says. "Thank you for your help!"

Georgia D.

Bless you Hickory Springs for taking care of this poor little girl. I'm so sorry for your experiences. I had also spoken to these people in the past but their prices were so high and out of my price range. It's so sad to read of sellers scamming people and the heartbreak they bring to buyers let alone the suffering of the horses.

Once again Hickory Springs, I think you are wonderful and Alfina and the others are lucky to have you.

Latest posts

Back