Scales to Weigh Feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniWrangler

Reaction score
Hey guys, for those of you that weigh your feed, is there a particular kind of scale that works best? Where did you get it and (if you don't mind) how much was it? I'd like to get one but I really don't know what I'm looking for.
default_wacko.png
:

Thanks! :saludando:

I got my scale at Target. It was $15.95. It's got a stainless steel bowl that sits on the scale part. The scale part has a big round face with the weights on it. I LOVE this scale. It can hold up to a pound of feed at a time. That's what fits in the bowl. It will actually weigh up to 5 or 6 pounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine at Wal Mart in the kitchen dept it was 7 bucks.. it goes up to 3 lbs

Mine's actually a postal scale but it can handle more weight. I put a tray on top and zero it out, works great for weighing flakes of hay. I did a search for scales and bought it online....I don't recall the company though sorry.

Oh, I found the name.....Old Will Knot Scales, it was around $50

Last edited by a moderator:
We have several old "baby scales" which I've found at garage sales and flea markets, for $3-$5. They're larger, and can weight more than some of the smaller scales. We use the plastic lid off a storage container as a tray for weighing hay.

Go to eBay and do a search for postal scales. I've gotten some really nice digital scales that will weigh up to 300#s for less than $40. The last one I got only goes to 50# but I don't need more than that and the face plate comes off so you can put it somewhere else to be able to read it.

I also put a bucket on it and "tare" it out and then weigh my hay.

For weighing heavier things (such as hay) you can also use a fishing scale :>) They can be found in any sporting goods store or sporting goods department. To weigh feed with it, just put your feed in a plastic grocery store bag and hang it on the scale. To weigh your flakes of hay, get a larger plastic bag, put the flake in it and hook it on the scale.
default_smile.png

I use a "fish" scale. It was lying around the farm. I put the hay in a bag and hook it on. Not sure how much it cost. But...I'm pretty good now at knowing how much 1 or 2 lbs. is on my own.

Latest posts

Back