Say Prayers for my Skittle!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayla221444

Reaction score
Every one please say prayers for my little 2008 filly. She is nearing two months and tonight she had a tragic accident... It was grain time and skittles and her mom are out with another pregnant mare and another mare and foal, well they all came running into the barn at the same time, and all started kicking and kicking at eachother well skittle knows better so she reared up to get away and fell over backward and banged her head(right in between her ears) hard enough that I heard it it...right on the cement isle way
default_sad.png
She got up pretty quickly and ran out doors shaking her head (but she does alot b/c of the bugs) but tonight she is constantly shaking her head ever since, other than that she is acting like her normal lovey self. But I am so scared because I have heard of alot of babies hitting their heads like that and getting skull fractures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are some of the signs????????
default_unsure.png
She is the best filly ever and I would hate to see her leave this world knowing the great possibilites she will near in the future!! I am so upset and feel that it is kind of my fault I wasnt there to stop the mares from fighting!
default_no.gif
I havnt called the vet yet but am keeping a very close eye on her she seems tired but she always is at night from a long day of playing around with the new colt. So I ask everyone please pray for my sweet little silver bay filly. I will keep updates!

I sure hope she gets better for you and nothing serious happened. I don't know anything about head injuries. Sorry.
default_pray.gif

Im so sorry!! I would get a vet out asap. That is a very bad spot for a horse to hit especially a foal. Sending prayers

Typically it is an instant death. I have had one that knocked himself silly, layed quietly for a few minutes and then got up and was fine. I also had one who did what your filly did, shook her head for a while, but she too was fine.

Here is keeping your filly in my prayers.

If she has brain swelling (and I am not saying she does), then every minute counts. Personally, I would be concerned if she is 'sleepy'. Brain swelling can be treated, if caught in time. One treatment is IV DMSO. You might want to have her checked out if she acts sleepy or lack of energy.

Keep us posted.

Peggy

www.albahurst.com

Hope Skittle is ok this morning. Good luck.

Barbie

She seems to be a bit more energized. But still shaking her head alot, and has been staying away from the others including her mom and hanging out in the barn...but thats normal for her. Besides shes not playing wih the other foal today. I called the vet and they said to just keep an eye out for swelling on her head anywhere.

Latest posts

Back