Satin Balls for dog weight? Anyone use them?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Amy went out very late Friday night for her nightly potty in the yard but she saw something behind the garage and took off down there after it. The light is out down there so it was dark and we didn't see or hear anything happen but she took an unusually long time, so Hus was calling and calling her. He started part way down there after her and as she came back, she wasn't limping but her front leg had some nasty wounds on it. I have no idea what could have caused wounds like that. She tangeled with something. I cleaned it all up, applied some first aid medicine, used gauze and wrapped it up real good. Thought she would be fine with bedrest. She seemed really sore and hurting and just laid down in my room all day and all night, came out periodically for attention then went right back. She seemed better this morning and its not her leg that seems to be bothering her, but now as of tonite, she seems sore all over.I even checked to see if there was a BBgun shot wound or something. Still not limping but she is hunching up her back and standing with her back legs splayed out. Her vet is excellent and I have used him for a great many years for our dogs and cats, and he is especially great with GSD's so I can't wait for him to take a look. Please keep us in your thoughts that this doesn't turn out to be anything horrible that I can't handle.

Amy is also skinny as a rail yet again because she never stops running and playing, so I am going to make her some satin balls and see if I can get a few pounds on her. I found so many receipes I can't tell which one would be the best for her. Which one do you recommend?

Thanks to all!

PS Heidi I know you are reading this so gimmee a call later on!
default_wub.png

I have used satin balls for many years with my dogs. I dont have the whole recipe in front of me, but it consisted of raw hamburger, eggs, wheat germ, molasses, total cereal, oil and ?? I also used to add kelp and msm to mine. Make a batch, freeze them and the dogs love them. I have BullMastiffs, so a batch doesnt last long.

Do I make these things about the size of a meatball?

Do you feed them raw or cook them before serving?

I have used them in the past but found just adding cheap ( fatty) raw hamburger helps put weight on.

Make sure your gal is current on her rabies shot and you might want to check with the vet to give her a booster just in case.

(not sure if Rabies is a prevelent there as it is here)

Satin Balls are fed raw.

We use them here.. infact are giving our 13 mo old Great Dane, Spice, some not just for weight but to make her coat nicer (because of the fat & oils).

Amy and I just got back from the vet. MY POOR BABY! Dan and Hus are going to have a heart attack when they hear this. I already put a call into them.

She has injuries that are consitant with being hit by a car, like she was bumped and then rolled which twisted her up, but there was no car in sight so we are at a loss of what really has happened to her behind our garage. Its like she was slammed around hard. Nothing is broken and her disks are all ok and in place, however she has trauma to her pelvis, neck, back, and her leg that I already had medicated, and apparently did a good job on that part. He gave her a lot of shots and sent me home with antibiotics for the leg to avoid infection, pain meds, anti-inflamatories, you name it, I have a full bag. She's on bed rest for a good ten days then we will do another vet check. I fixed up her bed and made it really extra soft. She's there napping already. I'm going to get her a warm bath later if she feels up to it.

I showed the vet some of the Satin Ball recipes and we went over them. He told me to pick out whatever I thought she would like the best, but try to keep the sugars, such as mollases down to a mild roar. I stopped at the store and got some ingriedients and I am basically going to develop our own recipe customized just for Amy. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Wow Marty,,,

Wonder if a deer or something could have rammed her? Weird. Glad she will be okay!!! Poor Amy. The things these animals put us through!

Wow Marty,,,

Wonder if a deer or something could have rammed her? Weird. Glad she will be okay!!! Poor Amy. The things these animals put us through!
This was my thought, after reading this morning about what the vet thought.

Good luck customizing some satin balls for miss Amy, I'm sure she'll be right as rain in no time under your care.

Marty, if you go back through some of my old posts you will find a recipe I have used in the past for our Danes, and also for one of our standard poodles..for satin balls. They do put weight on fast, so you do have to watch that some. They are fed raw. Give me a jingle if you need to talk. I am at the store during the day, but you have my cell number. I feel so bad for Amy, but at least she is in the best of the best care. (YOU)

Corinne

Marty-

Just requesting an update on Amy. Hope she is well on the road to recovery.

Barbie

Latest posts

Back