Satellite Web Service

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bess Kelly

Reaction score
I've had it with dial up
default_new_shocked.gif

There is Verizon DSL on both sides of my little town, not here!! So, only option is 1)satellite or 2)a wireless connection via Verizon.....ok, still a type of tower/satellite.

AgriStar offers, $249 for disk, free install....monthly fee, contract req'd

Direct TV has a disk thru Blue "??" Blue Ray?? Blue someone -- haven't ck price prob similar.

Anyone use any? Opinions? The techies, what are the issues with satellite/wireless that may not be so rampant with DSL/dial ups? Hot spots, stolen transmission info, such as that.........

Have AOL now, will a new provider be part of these deals? Want to put up a website, so will I need to do/consider provider for this effort -- why can't this be as easy as a road map & phone book?
default_laugh.png

Help, PLEASE
default_wacko.png
I'm not fully literate with this -- just hate dial-up!

Thanks, to all

I have the Verizon wireless card and love it. I have had issues twice and they were solved quickly and the tech support was great. I can use it on both my laptop and desktop. They have specials all the time.

Arlene

Around 2000 I was working remotely from home. My dialup just wasn't cutting it. I had to transfer large files and I remember one file would take me from 10 to 12 hours to transfer. Had my connection dropped at any time durning the transfer I would have to start over.

I researched several options that were available to me. DSL never was one and eight years later still isn't. Several options that I considered were via satellite. As I recall DirecTV and Hughes Net were my two options. As I said I needed to transefer very large files. My research showed that with satellite the speed was very good in one direction but slow in the other. At the moment I can't remember which way was faster but it was well documented and consistant. Since I both sent and received large files the speed needed to be fast in both directions.

I ended up opting for ATT cable. Because it was hardwired into my office in my home the speed was fast in both directions. My problem with them was a year or two after I started with them they were transfered to Comcast. Comcast immediately raised the cost by $10 a month and right after called me to welcome me to their service and asked me if I had any concerns. I really unloaded on the poor woman for the raise in cost. I was very pleased with the connection and it saved me some extra trips into work. To drive to my office was a 300 mile trip. I ended up keeping the service for several years after I retired.

I recently decided to upgrade to a faster service than my dialup. Although you can get good rates with DSL DSL is still not availablef in my rural area. I use Verizon for my cellphone and although I could get good service with them their Broadband service stopped about 3 miles from me. When I retuned from the World show last October I noticed that I was getting Broadband bars at my home. After some checking I oped to go with them. One of the reasons was that I am able to use the service when I am on the road in my RV as long as Verizon is available.

So I guess what I am saying I guess the satallite is ok as long as you are not transfering large files in both directions.

Good luck

Bess what you are thinking of is Wildblue

that is what i have and love it

only down fall is if you have bad storms

stays on longer then satelite tv does though

Like Bess, I'll be most interested in all replies from those with experience in this area, as I would also be VERY interested in a change from my SLOOOOOWWWW dial up!

I am in a rural area also, and have found that several 'usual' options aren't available here. I have Dish TV, with two receivers, one goes back 10 years, the other about 4 years. The NEWER one lost service recently; had to call for service.( After I hit the ceiling over the stated COST of the service call(only one I've ever had), I was offered it at 'half price',basically, BTW.)

Long story short,the problem arose because the coaxial cable to the second receiver, laid along the ground next to the house(installer's idea), had been damaged by the roots of GRASS that grew up in this summer's rains(Heck, if the guy had MENTIONED to keep growth away, I could have sprayed and kept the grass 'at bay', but he didn't TELL me that! Anyway, the coaxial is now up under the eaves.

When I mentioned that the signal seems to 'vanish', nowadays, EVERY time there is a little shower(when earlier on, it took a MAJOR thunder, or snow, storm, for the signal to be lost), the installer said it was due to the age of my equipment, and that it would be MUCH improved if I 'upgraded'...so I am mulling THAT over. My point is, I wonder how often getting your internet via a satellite would lead to these issues in bad weather? (In winter, I have to go out and 'swipe' the snow off my satellite dish w/ a 'car washing' thing w/ a long handle; it is VERY precarious, don't know if I'd want to "double" having to do that job!

Keep the input coming, though!!

Margo

If interested here is Wildblues number

866-945-3258

i have used them for almost 2 years and they have been great in all my moves

I had Direcway/Hughes for a long time and HATED their customer service. It was awful to say the least. They put me through 15 months of waiting and then told me my warranty had expired (about four months before they finally decided to replace my equipment, the source of the problem nearly two years previous, which then it WAS under warranty).

I switched right then and there rather than spend money with them to replace the equipment.

I am now with Wildblue/Dish Network and it works great.

it is still rather slow and prone to some weather outages (snow and heavy rain or hail are the worst), but far better than Hughes and the prices are very comparable.

We have no other option other than very slow dialup and this is far more acceptable to me.

Liz

I have wildblue and I HATE IT. It can be bright and sunny out and it doesnt work. IT has terrible connection. Winter is even worse, so much as a snow flake gets on it it dont work. IT is also very slow. I so cant wait until our contract is up.

Wild Blue user here....a lot of people in my area use it too. Haven't had any problems, but I don't need to upload or download large files.

Yes, Satellite Internet is expensive, but it is well worth it to me compared to sloooooooooooooooooooooooow dial up. I do believe my blood pressure has lowered since getting it....LOL

It probably does depend on your area and the Installer. We can get a bit gusty here at times so my Installer made doubly sure that the Dish is attached very well. And we don't have a snow issue. I totally expect to get rain fade during a heavy rain so I don't stress out about it, it will come back as soon as the deluge lets up
default_smile.png

We use DirecTV and have the same Rain Fade issues, so no big deal.

I also turn it off every night...not sure if that makes a difference.

I would like to get a card for my laptop so I can get on the internet anywhere. That would be nice.

Sue
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also very interested in this topic. We are on dial up with a average 26.4k connect. Amanda is in collage and there is lot of the work she needs to do on the net. With what we have now you cant even think about doing any of it. If we go with Satellite internet we will probably cancel the phone and go with voip. I was looking at wild blue and they offer 149 start up and about 60 a month. The only thing that concerns me is the 7500mb download and 2300mb upload threshold. what happens if you go over that?

Mike

It slows it down mike to slower then dial up

you can get the bigger package

but the uploads and d/l are more then you think

hahler do you mean that those amounts are a larger then I would probably use or are you saying that I would use them up pretty fast each month?

Mike

larger then you would use unless you are d/l video games and such

my old house mate did that to me that is how i know

it took him almost the whole 4 week time playing all the time to use it up

so i wouldnt worry

call me at the 918 number and i will explain

Like Bess, I'll be most interested in all replies from those with experience in this area, as I would also be VERY interested in a change from my SLOOOOOWWWW dial up!
Margo, I can tell you that you do NOT want the Verizon Broadband that I have. I travel through New Mexico several times a year in my RV and know that when I stop in New Mexico I can not use my Verizon service. New Mexico is very Verizon unfriendly. I can use my cell phone because of roaming but nothing digital like my laptop. As much as I love the state I don't stay long if I want Internet service.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back