Satellite internet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya

Reaction score
I can't believe what I've been missing...now I can see everyones youtubes and pics. We are out in the country surrounded by woods, so have had every company out here trying to get us high speed. No DSL, no Cable, no Speednet, but the dish is working (directv wildblue). Between our tv satellite and the internet satellite our roof looks like we are trying to contact aliens but oh well!

I hooked up the wireless router yesterday for our laptops and laid in bed last night surfing the internet while hubby watched football...it was great.

I know it is the slowest of all high speeds, but compared to my dial up it is super fast...very pricey though. Yesterday we had a big snow storm and did not loose our connection at all, but I know snow will pile up on them (the wet sticky stuff) and cause interference, that happened before with our tv dish.

Just wanted to share. Merry Christmas to me!

Sounds like just what I need here! Our situation is just like yours...nothing available but S L O W dial-up! I have wondered if there would be enough difference in the speed to make paying those fees worthwhile, and the way you sound, it sounds like it is worth it!! What we have here, is Xplornet (www.xplornet.com). They have different "speed" packages available, and I would prefer the cheapest...how does it compare to what you have? Is this the same type of thing you have?? (only a different brand?)

Here's the details...CLICK HERE

highspeed.jpg

And of course, the "Fine Print""...

fineprint.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds very similiar Mona. Ours is through directv, but a company named wildblue is the installer/provider? It was $232 for installation/dish/modem. The packages run $39.99 up to $69.99, more expensive, the faster. They told me that the fastest runs at t1 speed....I have no clue what that is, that is the one I got. It is not as fast as my cable internet at work, but sure beats dial up.

They told me the cheaper speed would not be much faster than my dial up, don't know how true that is, of course they want to sell the most expensive. On dial up I couldn't watch a youtube, a minute youtube would buffer for about 20mins and then end up timing out. When someone would send me pics via email, it would take 20mins to download one pic and sometimes it would jam up in the process. Downloading a song from itunes would take about 15mins if it didn't jam up, now I can do it in under a minute. I have watched youtubes that are 8 minutes long with no problems with this new internet, a couple times it stopped briefly to buffer, but it was watchable.

It is expensive, so you have to look at how much you use the internet, we really don't use the internet a whole lot, but couldn't stand dial up. I don't know how this would work for gaming and real intense things. It is considered the slowest high speed.

You have to have a clear view of the southern sky for ours. It is ontop of our roof to miss trees, hopefully in the summer leaves will not interfere. I did have to sign a year contract too.

Right now, I'm loving it...but the novelty hasn't wore off yet if you know what I mean, plus I have yet to get a monthly bill...I'm hoping no xtra fees, etc...like the phone companies do.

edited to add: I just looked at the site you posted. This could be like "speednet" which we have in our area, but too many trees at our house to get it. My husband's work has speednet and it is much faster than the satellite.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Wild Blue satellite also. We have DirecTV also but got the satellite through Wild Blue and was lucky to get in on free equipment and installation. We had a blizzard here yesterday and overnight and it performed great. I started with the cheaper package also and i love it! There are 3 packages/speeds that they offer.

Welcome to high speed! It is so fun! I cant even imagine having dial up again-it really stinks..

Have fun playing on your high speed!!

Missy

Welcome to high speed! It is so fun! I cant even imagine having dial up again-it really stinks..Have fun playing on your high speed!!

Missy
My hubby asked me if i was bored with the high speed already because i don't spend much time at it. I told him no! but i get everything done so much faster that i don't spend half the time i used to sitting here at the keyboard.

We live rurally, too, and are lucky to have dsl, with a wireless modem. It never seems to be bothered by weather. Once in a while it will go down for an hour or two, but overall we think it is fantastic. We have the lowest-priced package, which is MORE than adequate. Original installation was $250. We pay $29.95 a month. The tower for our service is on top of a grain elevator 10 miles away.

Just checked our internet speed and it reads 5.88 mbps. Smokin'!!

Here is the link if you want to check the speed of yours.

http://promos.mcafee.com/speedometer/test_3000.asp

After the page opens, wait for a minute for it to read the speed.

We just got rid of wildblue. IT worked great for the first few weeks. Then worked like crap. Hardly ever any service. IT was a hassel trying to cancel with them. IT cost us $400 for the equipment. We now have DSL Light. The fastest there is out there. Its great!

I agree; if you have ANY option for internet other than Satellite that is faster than the usual dial-up, I would use it.

Our dial-up service out where I live is very slow, about 14 kbps and so since we are too far to get DSL or anything else, satellite is our only option for both tv and internet.

It's pretty terrible, though...but I would say I love/hate it because I would hate to go back to dial-up, but wish like heck I had options.

Congrats on being able to see more "stuff" though!

Liz

I've heard of people having problems with the satellite internet, so far so good here and we have had snow/wind storms for the past few days, I had one outage that lasted less than an hour one day and when I called she said it was a scheduled one. So I do anticipate problems, unfortunately it is my only choice other than dialup so hopefully it will be bearable...anything has got to be better than dial up. If I had other options I certainly would do them, number one reason would be the cost, it is expensive.

I've never had any inssues with my tv dish (I've had it 5 years)...occasionally during a bad storm it will act up for a few mins, but it has never went totally out except for the time when there was a foot of wet snow on it. After the snow was brushed off it was fine.

I hope I continue to stay happy with it, I did sign a year contract, so I'm stuck with it for at least a year.

We got satellite internet (HughesNet) back in the summer. It is much faster than dial up but I still have troubles once in awhile. All in all it is better than dial up and I too can get things done much quicker.
default_smile.png

After 12 years of ridiculously slow dial up, I finally have joined the rest of the 21st century with a broadband connection. My internet now is powered through my Blackberry cell phone. I had to add one more option to my existing plan ($15/month) for an amazingly fast connection. For those considering satellite internet, you may want to check into a similar option. It is much cheaper than purchasing the satellite equipment. Best of all, the connection is completely portable from one computer, or location, to another.

Latest posts

Back