Sarcoids on an eyelid????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thelma

Reaction score
My vet was here to geld my yearling colt the other day and said "Ah, sarcoids, huh?". And silly me, here I thought the boy just had a case of warts...have had them on a horse before, they went away and never came back. So, in looking up sarcoids, they appear to be a whole different thing. Anyone got any remedies or suggestions? They are NOT pretty, look a little like stalactites protruding from his eyelid and they seem to be growing. Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a vet&not sure of the composition of a sarcoid.I had a mare with a squeamouscel (sp?)carcinoma(a type of cancerous growth on her vaginal area.1 vet suggested surgery which would habve been very expensive&not in a good spot for healing due to constant urine&fecal material passing over it lots.Another vet suggested a special ointment which had been successfully used around the eye of a Haflinger.The tube of ointment cost me $60(I still have about half of it&the growth is gone.As your vet about that&I can get info from my vet.

I would probably get it removed, I have seen a horse with a LARGE sarcoid on it's eye and caused lots of problems (ripping and bleeding) so I would ask your vet the best course of action.

Have seen a draft horse treated (had sarcoids all over it's body including places where the bridle and harness would go) with some sort of injectible. The stuff (probably the virus) was injected into the sarcoid spot, the area around the sarcoid swelled up HUGE for a few weeks and then subsided but the sarcoids magically went away too. Have also seen them surgically cut out. I think it would depend on the individual sarcoid.

At any rate, they are visual blemishes but may cause the horse future pain if it continues to grow.

Only your vet should advise.

Andrea

We had a jennet last year that had a sarcoid on her chest. One day it just appeared out of no wear. Our vet decided to remove it. It was very disgusting as she riped all the stitched out the next day and vet told me to let it be. It healed very nicely as the vet said it would. Today you would never know the jennet had it. No scar marks and all the hair has grown back.

If they were flabby on the eye I would also have them removed as it would cause problems.

Good Luck.

Traci

Thanks for your advice and suggestions -- Marty, thanks for the references! Guess my vet will be coming out AGAIN to see what we can do.........
default_wacko.png
:

I have first hand experience with exactly this with my Derby!

What my vet had me do was go to the drug store w/ a prescription from him and purchase a tube of this ointment called Effudux or Effudex, something like that. It was a SMALL tube, maybe 5oz and was $140 or so. I called it liquid gold.

The treatment for Derby was to apply this to his eyelid (once or twice a day, I do not remember) for something like 5 days, then stop. It kind of disolved the Sarcoid but it was painful, made a big sore basically on his eyelid but it did get rid of the problem, which my trainer also thought was a wart.

This was in early 2003 and have had no more problems with it.

Just coming back to say it really is something you need to consult with the vet about seriously because when my vet saw what was going on, he was ON IT and stressing it was really something to start treating as in that day.

Like I said, my trainer at the time thought it was a wart on Derby, and she put some kind of (human I think) wart remover on it. I didn't even know anything was up until the vet was out for other things and she happened to have him look at my horse. The sarcoid could have actually grown into his eye (like roots from it -- my understand is not in depth but it could have been very bad), and it was important to treat it. As my vet described it to me (I was really upset), we started with a very mild treatment, this effudex (sp?) ointment, and if that did not take care of it, there were some more agressive things to do and it was serious and important. Not to scare you, but it is important to treat and treat property particularly because of the location. You wouldn't want it to cause blindness and it was my understanding from from discussing it with my vet that that was a worst case outcome (but not likely because we were treating it). I'm always asking my vet what the worst possible outcome is so that I know how serious the situation could become.

I do think the location, on the eyelid, is a key point here. Maybe it is not so serious in other locations, but the vet was really stressing that we needed to get this prescription filled right away and also, had to wear gloves to apply and it did hurt Derby as it began to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoroughbred mare had a sarcoid on her chest when we first got her. Our vet gave us a medication to inject into the skin surrounding it every two weeks or something like that. I think I had to do it three or four times, but it did the job, and now all that is left is a small scar. I don't know how you would give the injections on the eyelid. I have a feeling not many horses would stand still for that, I got lucky and my girl was always really good, other wise it would have been hard, because you have to inject in different places all around the sarcoid, so you have several little pricks. I cannot remember the name of the medication, but I'm sure if you asked your vet he would know.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back