Sanibel and Captiva Islands and/or Fort Myers Beach....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacks'thunder

Reaction score
I'm wondering if any of you have been there for Vacation or live near there? If so could you please tell me alittle about the area and if they would be a nice place for the 3 of us to relax for a week?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a very nice place. We were there about 2 years ago. There are alot of retired folks there, so it's quiet and slow paced, very nice for a relaxing vacation. Even in the bars it is more of an older crowd, when I say older, I just meant there aren't many 21 year olds clubing it up...it will be more middle age group. We loved it. It is not as "happening" as alot of coastal places in FL...but for a family it is perfect. Have fun.

my sister and brothers family are at captiva island right now. They have been several times and love it. Wish i was there with them!

It is a very nice area. You will probably find better value at Fort Myers Beach rather than Captiva or Sanibel as they can both be pretty expensive.

If you would rather go to Siesta Key, I can hook you up with a place to stay. Siesta is one of the country's most popular and prettiest beaches (white powdery soft sand that doesn't get hot under your feet!). Let me know.

I have not been to the other places you mentioned, tho...maybe I need to check them out now that I live here...LOL!

Thanks everyone! Well we booked a place on Sanibel Island for a great price for 7 days. We'll be going when it's summer so the prices were cheeper. I know it's super hot in July/Aug but thats when hubbys vacation is so Flordia here we come! Hubby has been to Flordia twice when he was younger but has never seen the ocean
default_new_shocked.gif
. I'm hoping he'll enjoy the quiet down time and the beauty! At least it was beautiful when I was there 20+ years ago!! LOL!

Thanks again for your replys!

Linda- I looked at Siesta Key and it looks fabulous! Maybe next year same time!!!
default_yes.gif

I haven't been to Sanibel or Captiva, but just spent a couple of days in the Tampa area, and anything around Sarasota, including Siesta Key, is beautiful. We took a day to drive over into Clearwater and down to Sarasota. If you get to the area, take a few hours to see the Ringling Museum & grounds...very interesting, circus museum with authentic old circus cars & memorabilia as well as a complete miniature version of the circus that took 50 years to build. Fabulous!

It is self guided, you can take as much or as little time there as you like. The grounds are beautiful, as is the old Ringling mansion.

Jan

I haven't been to Sanibel or Captiva, but just spent a couple of days in the Tampa area, and anything around Sarasota, including Siesta Key, is beautiful. We took a day to drive over into Clearwater and down to Sarasota. If you get to the area, take a few hours to see the Ringling Museum & grounds...very interesting, circus museum with authentic old circus cars & memorabilia as well as a complete miniature version of the circus that took 50 years to build. Fabulous!

It is self guided, you can take as much or as little time there as you like. The grounds are beautiful, as is the old Ringling mansion.

Jan
Ahhh...too bad you didn't come say HI...hope you at least waved as you drove by....LOL!!
default_wink.png

We came pretty close lol, I know we drove past Bradenton. Only had a couple of days to sightsee, and stayed in Tampa the second day as I had some minor surgery there early the next morning.

Jan

Have a great time on your vacation and even though it is hot in July and August.....................It's still beautiful and by then the water is warm. We will be at our beach house in New Smyrna for a few weeks in July and the water will be so warm you can just hop right in.

I think Sanibel Island is gorgeous but went there as a kid and got the worst sunburn of my life and was miserable. Be sure and lube up often.
default_yes.gif

Have a great time on your vacation and even though it is hot in July and August.....................It's still beautiful and by then the water is warm. We will be at our beach house in New Smyrna for a few weeks in July and the water will be so warm you can just hop right in.

I think Sanibel Island is gorgeous but went there as a kid and got the worst sunburn of my life and was miserable. Be sure and lube up often.
default_yes.gif
Thanks! I can't wait! Were all darker skined and tan easy but you better believe we'll get some heavy duty sun screen! The last thing I'd want is for someone to be miserable because of an evil sun burn!!
default_biggrin.png
I'm so excited to go I'm making a list to get ready!

Any one have some fun things to do down there? Must haves for my list?

yes, definately use alot of sunscreen. We went in March when it's not so hot and we tanned a couple months before going as we didn't want to burn and we were both pretty dark when we got there. I ended up with sun poisoning...our lily white Michigan skin couldn't handle that FL sun...lol. I didn't burn per say, but had more of an allergic reaction to the sun.

We stayed at Ft. Myers but we visited Sanibel. It was more of a relaxing vacay for us...we didn't plan to go see anything...mainly we just relaxed on the beach with lots of cocktails. We did parasail while there and went deep sea fishing. We rented a boat one day too, saw tons of dolphins...they would come right up to the boat.

Be sure to put sunscreen on your feet, too! Deb burned her feet pretty badly when we went to the beach awhile ago...basically the one spot she didn't put anything on...and with bare feet and/or flipflops the sun beats right down on them!

Thanks Ladies! I promise we'll bring sunscreen! LOL!!
default_laugh.png
Actually sunscreen and flip flops are the only thing on my list so far! LOL!!(hubby said I had a HUGE list going!!!) As for things to do, I just want my hubby to have a nice time. I have been begging to go to Flordia and he always said he does not like Flordia. My thing is I kept telling him that the ocean is so worth going just to swim in it and enjoy the breeze and just relax. I have told him many times that were going to be beach bums and I'm not visiting or running in circles, were on vacation! He said no problem, but I'd like to maybee rent a jet ski or get out on the ocean some how for him.. rent a fisherman for a day??? lol!!!
default_wink.png

The place we rented the boat also rented jet skies I believe. To go on an individual charter is very pricey...hundreds. We went on a head boat which is just a huge troller w/about 30 guests. They take you out and you fish off the side. They supply the rod/reel/bait and help you land a fish if needed. You get to keep your fish and they even gut/skin it for you. We had a little kitchenette in our hotel so we fried it up...it was delicious. I believe the trip was only $40 per person for all day...they have snacks you can buy and beer. There is a sitting area too. It was alot of fun and a very cheap day, I would definately recomend it.

I do not like ocean water...too many creatures and I don't like the salt. It is pretty and all but to be honest not near as pretty as the waters/sand of Lake Michigan. You don't have to go far, it's in your backyard. The only thing the great lakes lack is the beachy shops/bars, but the waters are gorgeous...I think we are going next week.

I did like Ft. Myers and would definately go again. I like going in the late winter, when I've had too much snow/cold of Michigan.

Thanks Sonya! If by some strange chance you find the name of the fishing company you used let me know! Also I do agree! The Great Lakes are beautiful so my first choice for our family vacation was Mackinaw(sp?) Island. But we could not touch a place that was reasonable for the 3 of us. So what we found in Flordia has great reviews and it's a condo unit so we can easily bring 2 other family members! Were so excited! As you know, late winter or not this weather is COLD here! 48 this morning!!! No way, really!! I can't wait for hot weather!!! LOL!!
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back