Sandy and Bonny

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
Ok Shelly, here are some comparative pics of Sandy and Bonny. From this am.

Here is what I have learned so far, by comparing the difference in Sandy and Bonny.

I personally thing Bonny does have a ways to go after being around a mare pretty close to foaling. I didnt have anything to compare Bonny to, but now Bonny looks more like a 7 month preg mare to me.

Although some days Bonny looks much bigger than others, she is not nearly as big as Sandy.

although it does seem that Sandy has foaled before and Bonny is a maiden .

Sandy is much more mushy in the tail area. And her tail has much less resistance. Her udder is very full in the front and not so full in the back.

On with the pics

Bonny:

9-02-08005.jpg

Sandy

9-02-08007.jpg

Bonny

9-02-08003.jpg

Sandy

9-02-08010.jpg

Wow! They look awesome and it looks like Sandy will have a foal for you soon! I'd LOVE a foal right now so I could have something to show next year at my local shows! I can't wait to see what her baby looks like!!!! I'm so excited for you!!!!!!

Thanks Joyce. I know is sounds funny but I feel much better about Bonny now. Bringing Sandy home has taken away a lot of guess work about Bonny.

I really appreciate everyones opinions on Bonny and I have learned so much from all. Its hard to tell from just pictures, and for me never having had a late term mare all I could do was guess.

Dr Henderson with wee foal hasnt received the sample yet, seems like Bonnys wee is lost in the mail.
default_wacko.png

I will try to test Sandys milk when she gets a bit bigger in her bag to see where she tests.

I am also going to bring out my foaling books again.Joyce you dont have to send me the video, but thanks so much for the offer. I will also be doing a lot of mare stares to keep my mind fresh.

My neighbor next door has bred horses ( biggies) and he is on call for me.

I also talked to my vet and he will be calling me back to set up an appointment to check them over.

Bonny, there is a farm less than 20 miles from me that is on mare stare and has 3 mares on cam and DUE!!! It's "Tiny Tails". You should be watching!!!!! LOL!!!!

Thanks Joyce, I will check it out!

Also if anyone wants to throw some information my way on foaling please feel free! Any and all advice will be appreciated!

I will be studying my books but experience is golden!

Now that I can see them side-by-side, so to speak, you are right in thinking that Sandy will foal before Bonny!!
default_wink.png
She is much bigger bellied!!!!! From the first pics of Sandy's udder, it looked like it had no development, but with the second pics next to Bonny's I can see that Sandy has lots of milk in front and Bonny has it too, just not as much...I don't know why Sandy's hasn't gone back yet but it should soon if she is to foal within a week or two. Do you have any breeding dates for Sandy at all?
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Shelly, nope! LOL! I just love the pain I guess! :DOH! That or no one here likes to plan for things like I do! hahaha.

I dont know when Bonny or Sandy are due and now I have no clue if Ginger is even preg although she may be it would be early. I just guess that Sandy is due soon from what I have learned of tail mush and udder development. I will try to get video of the squishiness so yall can see what yall think.

Oh I measured Sandys tummy it is 61 inches where Bonnys is 58 inches.

Question...

I dont thinl Sandy is used to doing much of anything but grazing. I think she is very out of shape. I know she is preg, but would it hurt to walk her a little bit? I am thinking it would be good for her to take a few short walks each day. Nothing strenuous not fast, just at her pace, up the driveway and back. Maybe 2 or 3 times a day.

Bonny,

I just can't wait to see your new foals this year.

As far as walking in my opinion I would.

In fact, if they don't have much room while you have them in quarantine I would walk or trot both mares each day. I think exercise is good for miniatures. I probably would not start them running or jumping, etc. But, I can tell in your post you wouldn't anyway.

The hard part is going to be holding her back. I don't thinking running would hurt her personally. But, to keep her from getting away from you and touching your other horses, be ready for her to want to run.

I took her for a walk down the drive way this morning. Austin walked Ginger and I walked Sandy then we traded. They walk soooo slooowwwww.
default_rolleyes.gif
It took us quite a while to walk 200 ft down the drive. They are able to be led but they are not used to it at all. They are patient though and getting better daily.

I am going to walk her a few times a day then go a bit further each day.

Holding her back??? LOL, it was all I could do to drag her down the drive(jk) They are so used to just wandering at a slow pace around a pasture that getting them to actually keep a pace is tricky.

Sandy seems to have takin quite a liking to Austin. He to her also.
default_wub.png

My mares' udders started filling out and looked much different than the pictures here starting about 2-4wks (depending on the mare) prior to their foaling dates.

Bonny,

Sorry about the PM...I told you I was half asleep...LOL. There it is right in my face...LOL.

Wow - that was FAST- talk about a noticable change...I think you will be having your first foal before you know it. Well, you know what I mean - each day you think you are going to go crazy..LOL. But, she is defiently getting closer.

If she makes changes that fast - I would sure keep an eye on her.

It has finially stopped raining - we have even had tornado warnings, flash flood warnings, etc.

Thankfully today so far we have sunshine. After I get home this afternoon I will try again to get pictures of my mares udder.

Yep, I think she is starting.
default_smile.png

I would love to see pics of her side and udder!

Glad your weather is clearing!

My mares' udders started filling out and looked much different than the pictures here starting about 2-4wks (depending on the mare) prior to their foaling dates.

Hi Jill. I was wondering if you could post a picture of what you mean. I may be able to understand better if you could.

Latest posts

Back