Sandy and Bonny

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious, How many of yall have had mares that bagged in the front first then later in the back?
All of our mares swell in front of the udders before filling in the back, it's the milk vein expanding.. My appaloosa mare is a "funky filler", she swells a lot in front, last year it was about the size of oranges, before it started filling into the actual udder.. She's done this with both colts she's had for us but last year it was MUCH more noticeable than the year before.. These pics below were taken from about 2 weeks prior to foaling to foaling, but she did get the swelling like in these pics before she started filling udder..

Here's a few pictures of her's from last year (2007 colt)

DSCI0007.jpg

DSCI0009.jpg

DSCI0090.jpg

One directly above was the day before she foaled

DSCI0009-1.jpg

Last one above is the night she foaled, and I actually caught her milk change to white, but still missed her foaling by 15-20 minutes!
default_rolleyes.gif

And this is what the poor gal looked like the day she foaled, she was miserable and around 355 days
default_wacko.png

DSCI0081.jpg

Can see that the baby's dropped giving her the 'V' look, has some edema along her belly, and can definitely tell she's dropped off at the tail head

Great pictures!!! Thanks! Wow! Thats an udder! lol!

Body wise she looks about the same as Sandy does now but Sandy's udder is not nearly as full-YET! The laying down continuously is her positioning the foal...keep watching, sounds like she is getting close
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious, How many of yall have had mares that bagged in the front first then later in the back?
All of our mares swell in front of the udders before filling in the back, it's the milk vein expanding.. My appaloosa mare is a "funky filler", she swells a lot in front, last year it was about the size of oranges, before it started filling into the actual udder.. She's done this with both colts she's had for us but last year it was MUCH more noticeable than the year before.. These pics below were taken from about 2 weeks prior to foaling to foaling, but she did get the swelling like in these pics before she started filling udder..

Here's a few pictures of her's from last year (2007 colt)

DSCI0007.jpg

DSCI0009.jpg

DSCI0090.jpg

One directly above was the day before she foaled

DSCI0009-1.jpg

Last one above is the night she foaled, and I actually caught her milk change to white, but still missed her foaling by 15-20 minutes!
default_rolleyes.gif

And this is what the poor gal looked like the day she foaled, she was miserable and around 355 days
default_wacko.png

DSCI0081.jpg

Can see that the baby's dropped giving her the 'V' look, has some edema along her belly, and can definitely tell she's dropped off at the tail head

My mare didn't get that big even after the foal was born!

Ever since you started posting all these mare udder pictures I've paid closer attention to all of my mares' udders. One thing I've noticed - I've got a 4 year old mare that I'm pretty sure has never foaled before, and is NOT pregnant now - but she's always got a somewhat developed looking udder.

Kinda interesting!!

Want to let yall know we are in the path of Ike. Most likely we will be with out power for a while. I will update asap after the storm is past and power is returned.

Pray that Sandy doesnt foal before or during the storm!!

Bonny,

Did you see the other post on the Texas Rose Horse park taking in evacuee horses? Are you close to Tyler and could maybe take your critters there? Especially Bonny and Sandy as they are EXPECTING?

Back