Sanding Hooves.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex

Reaction score
Tonight I sanded my sorrel pintos hooves for the first time. (We have a show tomarow) He has all pale hooves, and the were really easy to sand. Not very harnd but not "soft"

I tried next my stallion who has primarilly black hooves, but has very neatly striped hooves. I want to put clear polish on him Becaure I like the clear better than the goopy black look. When I was sanding (with sandpaper) I noticed his hooves were much harder to sand, it took a lot more power. Now is it becaue they are black, or is it just genetices that he has hord hooves?

THis sounds all really stupid I bet, but I was just curious...
default_laugh.png

I do think black hooves have a different texture than white hooves... but genetics plays a very large part.

There is an old wives' tale that black hooves are stronger than white hooves... but any farrier will tell you this is not true.

Andrea

It depends on the horse not the color of the hooves. I just did one that had white feet and they were like concrete! Linda

7 minis in our barn, and the white hooves are all easier to sand, and have a cleaner smoother look when finished. Genetics, old wives tale, or coincidence, whatever it is, I'd rather sand the white hooves.

I have yet to see a white hoof harder than a black one or dark one!

I have seen many of hooves in my day and I have always found that white hooves are softer than black. Black hooves are generally harder and stronger than white. Now I know there are a few exceptions but as a general rule white is softer than black.

I also, don't know a farrier that would tell me different either.

I am a farrier and have been for 20 plus years and do many warmbloods, minis and all types and breeds. Plus owning and working with horses for 40 plus years. Linda

Ive noticed the white hooves are easier to sand then the black hooves. I wonder if it has anything to do with the sun? Black absorbs the sun light ..so maybe that has something to do with it. Im probably pretty far off, but maybe.

Leeana

My farrier found trimming a new mare we bought had white hooves and was quite hard to trim.

He said sometimes it depends on the ground or stall there in.

The next year much softer hooves.

I've got a lot of white hooves here, and they don't seem to be any easier to sand. My husband was sanding feet last weekend and muttering under his breath about the white ones (I'm more particular how those are sanded since we put a clear coat on them). I'll have to ask my farrier when he trims next what his opinion is on this, but he's always raving about how nice my horses' feet are, I never thought to ask if one color was tougher than the other.

I've always found whites easier to work with, period.

Now, how do you get rid of or cover up the purpley bruises that come up, or do you just let them go?

Latest posts

Back