Sandals and big horses...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mininik

Reaction score
So, all these years of wearing sandals around horses finally caught up with me a couple nights ago. After a long night ride (Tennessee Walkers are amazing), we were just putting the horses back in the pasture when one of herd bumped into the horse I was letting go, forcing her to sidestep onto my big toe, then put all of her weight onto it to turn and trot off. I don't think it's broken, but it's nasty looking and hurts to bend and walk on. I'm soaking it now in hot water with sea salt, hoping it doesn't continue to get worse. I know I've seen others here post pictures of themselves wearing sandals around horses, so I just thought I'd chime in and say OUCH... be careful!

Last edited by a moderator:
OW!!!!

BOOTS!!! Wear some paddock boots next time! (Ariats are awesome)

It's been a long time since a biggie stepped on my feet but I remember the worst time still
default_sad.png

I always wear flip flops...i mostly handle the minis though and yes i understand that is just as dangerous and i always get atleast one person on me about wearing flip flops when i post pictures. I just cannot stand shoes in the summer/spring, its so nice and warm...

I've been stepped on WAY too many times. I rarely wear sandals around the horses anymore. It just hurts too much when they step and then yes they have to make a turn before they move. OUCH OUCH OUCH!!! I hope your foot gets better soon.

All I can say is ...... OUCH!!!!! That has always been a fear of mine so I always wear shoes or boots in the barn. When my mom comes over to help and she has flip flops on I only let her water and hay in the barn! I go and do all the stuff that involves being near the animals. I had a girl whos horse I boarded and she would come here with flip flops on and kick them off in the pasture as she was playing tag with her horse
default_new_shocked.gif
! Yep running bearfoot in the pasture is pretty gutsy in my opinion!!! Needless to say she ghot her own pasture and now does what ever she pleases in it!!!! Yuck and ouch and a whole bunch of things come into my mind when I think of toes and horses!!! LOL!!! I have broken my toes before but it was because I was drinking playing vollyball not because of horses though!!!
default_472.gif
default_blush.png

I hope you heal soon!

Leya

YOWZZER! I dont remember the last time I wore shoes in the barn. Crocs. Thats all I wear around my minis and thankfully I havent gotton steppen on. Yet
default_wink.png

Oh yes, sandals and big horses do not work! I had a 16h half arabian mare step and twist on my foot and it ripped my big toenail completely off.
default_gaah.gif
It took a year to grow back. And yes it sure did hurt! Its sneakers or barn shoes fromnow on, no matter how hot it is.

Ouch.....

I will not wear sandals around the big guys...the little guys sometimes, but not very often. I had my little stallion step on the top of my foot, pop a blood vessel and cause major swelling and bruising (off work for 2 weeks because of it) and I had garden clogs on! My 2 other foot injuries were big horse related....once wearing running shoes, when a 17.3 hh Dutch Warmblood tripped and landed on my foot, then looked at me wondering why I was pounding his neck to move over....ended up with a broken big toe (it's still not right and that was at least 8 years ago). The other one was this spring, wearing Blundstones (not steel toed) and Anoki 'torpedoed' me....slammed the tip of his hoof straight down on my foot while I was picking out a foot.....broke at least 2 toes on my right foot....Both of the big horses were shod too.....

Soo, if it's going to happen, it's going to happen, but at least with your toes covered it isn't quite as much damage....

~kathryn

Geesh Nicole that sounds painful and a half!!! I've been there done that only with the biggies I was wearing boots...I can't even imagine the pain with only sandals!!! With the little guys....once I was wearing flip flops around them...just showing them to some people that came by to fuss over them....and out of all the times THIS had to be the particular day my cream puff stepped on the bridge of my foot....including my toes.....Yea...I saw stars!

l aways wear flip flops weither im cleaning out the barn or jumping Two Sox. My mom always tells me to put on sneakers but i really don't care weither in stepped on or not, horses should also learn not to get in your 'bubble' so sometimes when they step on you its their fault, not yours.

Last year i got stepped on by my heifer, Lucy. It hurt soo bad, I think she broke my toe, its fine now though. You'd think i'd learn by now.
default_unsure.png

Okay, here's what happens LOL. I am looking at foot surgery on at least one foot from many years of being stepped on, with and without boots. Had both feet xrayed a couple of weeks ago, and he said wow, it looks like that middle toe joint on both feet has been crushed and not healed properly. Hmm.....wonder how that happened.

I have been stepped on by my big horses over the years, but generally wore boots or at least real shoes. I think we tend to be less concerned - and more "up close" with the minis. I've been stepped on (in flipflops, I admit) enough to damage my feet. So think about me after World, I'll be hobbling around on crutches for about 4 weeks.
default_wacko.png

Jan

Ow, Nik, that must have hurt, indeed.

Hope it heals up, quickly...

I had my Arabian jump on my feet when we were wading in the surf together...she was going for my "lap" to get close in a 'save me' kind of gesture, and pounced with all four of them on top of my two (bare) feet!

LUCKILY we were on sand in the surf and it was not super solid, but she was shod and yeah, it hurt and I was lucky only to have bad bruises, no breaks.

It's a good idea not to be barefoot around the little ones, either...not quite as devastational, but still painful and possibly damaging for the long-term.

My thoughts are with you!

Liz

If there are horses in my barn NO ONE is allowed in with sandals on. Just to easy for someone to get hurt and it's something that is so easy to prevent. Hope your toe is feeling better soon and you get yourself some practical footwear. Ouch
default_sad.png

and I thought we were going to get to talk about horse poop build-up under toe nails.

Darn. Guess that's another thread..........
default_laugh.png

NC Roses said:
Oh yes, sandals and big horses do not work! I had a 16h half arabian mare step and twist on my foot and it ripped my big toenail completely off.
default_gaah.gif
It took a year to grow back. And yes it sure did hurt! Its sneakers or barn shoes fromnow on, no matter how hot it is.
Ditto!! Except I was wearing sneakers and didn't even realize what had happened until I hobbled in the house and took off the shoe and my mom noticed with some alarm that the entire toe of my sock was blood-soaked. There's nothing like having to fish in your sock for a toenail to convince you to wear BOOTS!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_smileypuke.gif
Now my toenail is this big thick ugly yellow thing so sandals are sort of out, period.
default_sad.png

The stories of jumping minis in flip-flops make me wince. I had Kody land on my foot at a clinic this spring and despite a good pair of Ariats it hurt so bad I was fighting tears and had to be helped back into line. I thought I'd broken something!
default_no.gif
There's nothing funny about 230lbs plus momentum landing on a 2" square area with the additional complication of skin abrasions. At least when you're wearing shoes the doc doesn't have to try and clean dirt out of the wound!
default_new_shocked.gif

Leia

Thanks everyone.
default_wink.png
My toe is feeling MUCH better today and yes, I'll be buying some appropriate riding boots ASAP.

Latest posts

Back