Sand Clear??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I found a health supplier that sells pure fresh ground psyllium husk in bulk for cheap. I paid 20 bucks for 5 pounds of pure ground psyllium husk in a grainy powder form. It sticks to the sweet feed very well, these picky ponies cannot sort it out of the feed so I know they're getting it all. It has already made such a difference. They all pooped out pure sand after the 3rd day of feeding it. Everyone's coat is already starting to look shinier as they shed out the dull fuzzy hair. The two who looked sooo bloated, spiny and ribby are already starting to look much better. Everyone's spirit seems to have improved too, they are more inquisitive now and move around more, before they were pretty depressed because their bellies hurt. As much as I wanted to try the Eqqus supplement everyone recommended, I couldn't swing it for 32 horses, it was just too expensive to buy enough to do the weekl long purge everybody needed and I feel that stretching it or not using it as directed wouldn't help any. This stuff has no fillers or addatives so I can feed less. I'm giving a tablespoon 2x day for 5 days then 1x day for 5 more, then we will take a break after the purge and repeat for 7 days in a month and adjust as needed. They were just so full of sand it was unreal. I used to not have any problems with the generic psyllium pellets but now my horses won't eat them and it has been so dry here that they just weren't cutting it.

so glad you found something that works for you.Sand problems are no fun and can be very costly vet wise.Keep us posted on the progress with your herd.sounds like you are on the right track

So I'm thinking I'm going to get the ground psyllium husk powder from amazon and am wondering if you get it wet then add it to their feed? could I add it to their beet pulp when I soak it?? I don't feed a sweet feed or anything "sticky" like that. I guess I could also add it to a bran mash or soaked alfalfa pellets??

Don't soak it with their feed, but mix it in right before you feed. Otherwise it turns to gelatinous goo if just soaked, that's part of how it picks up sand and moves it out. [And, why I feed the Equus pellets, they like them and just eat them with their pellets.]

Okay just ordered a 10# bucket of Sand Clear from ValleyVet since they have free shipping right now (got a bot egg knife too, they are BAD this year). I decided that since it's my first go round with the stuff I'd go the easier route and feed the pellets. I just want to get any sand purged out before winter. We get lots of snow in the winter so I don't worry about sand over the winter. Next spring I am hoping to get everyone on a better training/feeding schedule and may try just the ground psyllium.

I'll start both minis on the Sand Clear as soon as it gets here (first to middle of next week) and I'll let you know how it goes. After reading all the experiences on here I'm interested to see what comes out...

So the bucket of Sand Clear that arrived at my house was so dusty on top I'm sure it's been in a warehouse for years. However, I could not find an expiration date on the bucket (just a lot number) and I tasted it (yup, I sure did) and it didn't taste like stale grain... just bland. So I gave the littles their first dose.

They both dove in but quickly started making that "peanut butter stuck to the roof of your mouth" sound. I knew just how they were feeling as my teeth developed a nice gel coating after trying the sand clear. Major, however, was not discouraged and plowed ahead. Clementine was less impressed. I added a handful of oats to hers and that helped her get over her issues.

We'll dose twice a day this week to "purge" and see how it goes.

Back