Sand clear and choke?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlenicker

Reaction score
Well per my vets instruction I am feeding sand clear, started it yesterday, needs to go on for 7 days. Today is day 2, my pony HATES it and she's acting like I put peanut butter on the roof of her mouth. I mixed the sand clear with her grain, she literally gets two handfuls of grain for PM feed but with the sand clear I switch out one handful for the sandclear... one handful is her IR pellet feed and the other handful is a half scoop of sand clear. She gave up on eating it half way through, looks like she struggles to chew it as though its very chewy. She left half of the sand clear and grain in her bucket and went to eat hay. She started eating her hay but still had the peanut butter stuck to the roof of her mouth look. Shes not choking, but im worried it could lead to it! Is this a normal reaction with sand clear? Had anyone had a horse choke on sand clear? Should I soak it?Perhaps I need to try something different. I feel like im going to be worried all night about her choking. I watched her for a little bit, she continued to eat her hay but didnt look happy about having to chew it like a rubber clam.

If you have ever tried to 'eat' psyllium, you know how she feels! I would not have cut her usual grain ration-- I would give her full ration as usual and add the sand clear to that. More grain will make the ratio better and make it easier for her to eat. IMO half and half is much too high a ratio for that stuff!

We never give less than normal grain sometimes one of the horses might leave some in the bottom of the feed bin but when they get their breakfast feeding with no sand clear (we only give 1x a day at night) they usually finish what was in the bottom of the feed dish

We have used on miniatures since 2003 never a choking problem. But can you give a little extra grain at least during the sand clear week? That is a small amount to mix it with.

Not sure why you cut her grain ration? Sand Clear isn't feed, so think I'd add the grain/feed back to her bucket... Other than that - sounds like she's just one that doesn't like additives in her feed. I can't really blame her - I don't like added fiber products either
default_whistling.gif

At the time I started using Sand Clear, we had always fed our feed wet. Sand Clear used to say to feed it dry, not wet - so during the week it was fed 1x daily, our ponies ate their feed dry for that feeding... They didn't like it, but in our case, all ponies ran on pasture together or in some smaller paddocks but with more than a few horses/ponies in each pasture. They always got caught to be fed - tied up at their feed buckets (no individual stalls) and if they didn't finish off their feed - I worried. I learned that if they got meds, the meds DIDN'T go in the feed (except Sand Clear). I don't really remember having any issues with Sand Clear.

I don't currently feed it to our stock as we didn't see any differences in amounts of sand in their manure from before we started until 6 months after we religiously followed the instructions - both on the Sand Clear bucket and thru our vet. Since neither the vet nor I saw any differences - it was one expense i joyfully cut out of our feed bill (we currently own 34 ponies/horses ranging from 36.5" at the withers to 15.3 hh & feeding 29 of them here at our place - caught and tied up 2x daily to eat their feed. They have hay free choice in the pastures).

I was told by one vet when I arrived in NC in 1997 to start feeding soaked beetpulp - for both helping with weight/fiber and also with sand/fiber - and wet. To this day, I still feed wet - and some literally get "soup" as they like it. During the winter, I usually haul hot water out to the barn and feed them their soup - HOT. They love it but this winter, since it's been pretty mild overall, I've fed just wet from the hydrant in the barn and I think they miss their "hot mash/soup". While hauling Wizard to IL to go back into fitting for showing this year, I fed him with hot water from the hotel br - he dove into his feed faster than I've ever seen him eat!! Of course, we went from almost 70* to only 28* in one day (it was just a wee bit cold).

I found it easier to feed Equi-Aid pellets - it doesn't leave that goo on the roof of their mouth and they eat it all.
default_yes.gif

That is a lot of sand clear! We allways give about a 1/4 scoop since they are about 1/4 the size of a big horse. Mine eat it with no problem. I mix it with the pellets and they hardly notice it. The scoop is pretty small to begin with. I am not sure a whole scoop would even be a handful.

You can try orange flavored Metamucil - NOT the no sugar brand. Found out the hard way Minis DON'T like Aspartame. lol! We mix it with their soaked alfalfa pellets. They lick the bowl and want more! (black bunk feeder)

About 3 tablespoons per Mini. We do it for seven days. Use the Equate brand from Wal-Mart. It's the cheapest.

Kari

You have to cut the dosage down to 1/4 or 1/3 which ever weight comes closest of your horse of the normal big horse dosage of Sand Clear to a mini. I have fed it for many years and never had a problem. They do not like it at first but will get used to it and eat it.

The problem with metamucil is there is no accurate way of measuring out a proper dosage for a horse.

After my first week of everyday metamucil (Walmart Brand Clear) I use 1-2 tbls every Sunday in 1 scoop of grain. I use a stickier grain..one with molasses he chows it down. I live on the beach and it's pretty important around here. Walmart brand is around $7 verses the horse brand $24

My minis would not eat Sand Clear,I tried Metamucil and they left too much in the bottom of the bucket.I now use Equus a licorice flavored psyllium pellet and they will eat it right out of my hand.If you PM me I can tell you where to order it-usually not available in stores, but well worth the cost.It smells great when you open the tub-flavored with anise oil.Alll my horses love it.Some of my horses get it 2 times daily.

I've used psyllium products for years and just finished a week long regimenof sand clear on my mini geldings. I mix in their dosage with their daily grain and mix it all with water into a soupy mash which they slurp down. But then I've always fed my daily grain, supplements, etc with water mixed into a soupy mash even for my big horses and no problem with choke on anyone plus it gets a little extra water in them.

I just finished a round of Tractor Supply's brand of sand clear, about half my horses turned their noses up at it. They eat it eventually but were not happy with it. Will look for the Equus licorice brand next time.

Jan

I would not cut the feed ration either. I use the Equus psyllium pellets... they like it better than the Equi Aid. Or, start yours off with a smaller dose of the Sand Clear and slowly increase it. Horses never like new weird stuff in their feed. I have seen many vets who prescribe a very large dose of psyllium products if the horse has a lot of sand.

I have never been able to find Equus brand pellets on the shelf in any store in my area.I order it online and NEVER let it run out.I woukld rather run out of bread or milk for us than be without Equus.I am quite sure it has prevented many sand colics for me having had so many before using it.I live about 5 miles from ther bay and our soil here is very sandy,.I even have little sand dunes on very windy days.I give it especially after a rainn since my Minis pull up the grass we have and get sand on the roots,I love the licorice smell when I open a new bucket,My usual order is 120 lbs at 1 time.Lasts me quite a while

Thanks so much everyone! I think going to switch her to something different, some of your suggestions sound a bit tastier. Sorry, I should've mentioned why I cut her grain ration. My pony has IR related laminitis and she had a recent flare up, I read that sand clear has molasses, normally when she flares up I cut grain out all together til her the flare up ends and shes sound again but since I needed to do the sand clear I didnt want to cut her grain out yet as she wont eat the sand clear alone, she really hates it. Ive reduced the amount of sand clear and added a bit more of her grain, seems to be a little tastier, but she still acts like it will be the death of her once she finished eating it. Poor girl! She has to eat this stuff til wednesday. Then im going to look into the other options for next month.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back