Salutations from Alberta

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Standards Equine

Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings and Happy Holidays all! I'm signing in from north-central Alberta. I'm a lifetime horse person but new to driving - very new to driving VSEs. We have 2 currently, a mini donkey (Phillippe) and a grade Shetland x mare (Jasmine). Both are around 3 years old and have been lightly started in harness and vehicle this past summer/fall. I'm looking forward to learning, sharing and growing in my driving education.
Next on the list to train to drive is an Arabian cross mare - but she's not a mini so not important ;)
Here's my daughter and Jasmine with the toboggan last month.

Attachments

• Ali Jasmine 2.jpg
    Ali Jasmine 2.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 13
Welcome! Driving is a lot of fun. Jasmine looks like she knows what she's doing and your daughter looks like she is at a great age to start driving too.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures and meeting Phillippe! Everyone here is really helpful. Do you have other people driving horses in your area?

Reactions: Taz
Welcome! Driving is a lot of fun. Jasmine looks like she knows what she's doing and your daughter looks like she is at a great age to start driving too.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures and meeting Phillippe! Everyone here is really helpful. Do you have other people driving horses in your area?
Hi Willow Flats, and thanks very much! I am fortunate to have a knowledgeable community around me. A lifetime of horsemanship (including trick-horse training) has really made the basics of driving (long lining, conditioning to shafts and pulling, etc) pretty straightforward but the acquisition of safe, fitted harness and vehicles was not so simple. It's been a steep learning curve but I'm really enjoying it!
I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone has for harness, vehicles, how they show, etc.
Happy New Year to you :)

Hi Standard Equine,
Thanks for sharing your photos. Looks like fun. I Don't drive , just enjoy reading all the advise on here. You will enjoy it also.
Thanks, nice to meet you! It's been a blast. I think it will be a good shift when my body is not tolerant of riding anymore. :)

Welcome! Your daughter and Jasmine make a cute team!

The tobaggan looks like fun! I’ve not seen a pony drawn toboggan before - very neat!

Thank you for sharing!
Thanks very much, nice to meet you as well. It's a fantastic little rig made by Kelly at Patty's Pony Place. It bolts to a calf sled, very sturdy, will last well past my (future) grandchildren! Happy New Year :)

Welcome! :) It's great to meet you, I'm so excited to see updates! :) Jasmine is such a cutie.
Nice to meet you as well! Thank you. I always worry about $50 kijiji animals, but I'll tell you, this little one has not made me regret the gamble at all. A couple of weeks ago we dressed her up and took her to the local long-term care facility to visit residents. She was phenomenal, even rode in the elevator (blindfolded and backwards, but whatever...)
I hope you have a wonderful new year!

Attachments

• Jean Cameron.jpg
    Jean Cameron.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 3
Welcome! Your daughter and Jasmine make a cute team!

The tobaggan looks like fun! I’ve not seen a pony drawn toboggan before - very neat!

Thank you for sharing!
Hi there! Well, it's called the "great-white north" for a very good reason. Best make use of the abundant snow!

Latest posts

Back