Salt?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crimson Rose

Positive Reinforcement Pony Trainer
Reaction score
I am curious as to how everyone provides salt for their miniatures/ponies? What way do you think works best? Easiest? Most cost efficient? I am currently using a seven pound block of Himalayan salt in a feed pan. My ponies like it, but I don't think that it will last very long for the price.

I buy the big blocks of salt, usually the blue ones because white isn't always available. I tried loose salt in the past but it didn't work. They didn't use it, so it got dusty, then no one was going to use it. Tried it in a pan on the floor....and then they peed in it. The block works much better!

Hi, I use a 4 lb. Red Trace Mineralized Salt Brick ($4 each). I don't know how many minis you have, but I have 4 (2 donks, 2 horses) and they each have a salt lick in their stalls and then there is one in their outside stall. Each of the blocks have lasted over a year now, but I did notice that I will have to replace one of them soon.

I have salt bricks out for mine in their paddock. They all also get the apple elite electrolytes in their feed, 1/2 tsp each daily, so 1/4 tsp twice a day. If their poop seems dry then I might give an additional 1/8 - 1/4 tsp or so depending on the situation for a few days.

F66DC49C-7A53-4423-8560-A2655D8BA5EC.jpeg

Last edited:
We have 3 different salt sources. More just for stimulatation variety.

(all of these are shared with the goats)
Standard cattle trace minerals block
2 buckets with granular trace minerals salt (they like this in the summer after exercising)
2 hanging natural salt rocks (these seem to be everyone's most favorite)

each one is different size and texture. they go through all of them, so I think they like the variety

Hi, I use a 4 lb. Red Trace Mineralized Salt Brick ($4 each). I don't know how many minis you have, but I have 4 (2 donks, 2 horses) and they each have a salt lick in their stalls and then there is one in their outside stall. Each of the blocks have lasted over a year now, but I did notice that I will have to replace one of them soon.

I expect you meant a 40 pound block?

I put loose salt into his feed bucket. For whatever reason none of my horses have ever really gone for the blocks - tried big ones and small ones, wall mounted and in a ground pan, indoors and out - nope. 🤷‍♀️

Yes, I did mean 4 lbs. I only have 4 minis. I watch them use the salt daily and like I said, only one horse has almost completed the block in his stall. I put the salt blocks in their stalls when I got the boys (horses) last October and they still have some left. My girls (donks) also don't seem to eat a lot of salt.

I know! It's ridiculous....but, that's the going rate around here apparently. I couldn't believe it myself....and I got the last one on the shelf!

After I bought it (I'm not gonna lie...it hurt to pay that much for SALT)! I thought I should have bought it from Amazon...it would have to be cheaper, right? The cheapest I found on Amazon was $7.29 for 2.2 lbs!

I use table salt, appoximately 1/4 tsp mixed into their mash at night for the minis and a scant 1/2 for the welsh. At this point I've been giving it so long I don't measure it, I just dump it into my hand and then into the feed. That way I know they are getting it. If it's hot or the weather is about to radically change or manure looks dry I give a wee bit more. For some reason I have never had a horse that would use a salt block.

I know! It's ridiculous....but, that's the going rate around here apparently. I couldn't believe it myself....and I got the last one on the shelf!

After I bought it (I'm not gonna lie...it hurt to pay that much for SALT)! I thought I should have bought it from Amazon...it would have to be cheaper, right? The cheapest I found on Amazon was $7.29 for 2.2 lbs!

Online is not the way to buy big blocks - stores with farm supplies, like Atwoods, Tractor Supply will sell 40 or 50 lb mineralized blocks under $10 - BUT they are HEAVY! though they last many months put down outside.

I use table salt, appoximately 1/4 tsp mixed into their mash at night for the minis and a scant 1/2 for the welsh. At this point I've been giving it so long I don't measure it, I just dump it into my hand and then into the feed. That way I know they are getting it. If it's hot or the weather is about to radically change or manure looks dry I give a wee bit more. For some reason I have never had a horse that would use a salt block.
I am probably going to have to use this approach the most as my ponies are outside 24/7 and we get so much rain.

Mineralized salt blocks are normally left out in the weather (but not in water) because they are rain resistant.
I might have to buy one of those as well! I thought that I remembered salt/mineral blocks lasting longer when I had horses and ponies before. LOL!

Latest posts

Back