Sales/Auctions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EquineLover

Reaction score
How many have bought at auctions/sales?Where you happy with what you got?2/3 of our horses came from an auction.A foal and a gelding whom taught me to ride and show and has never been sick since i've had him.The foal is now a yearling and he's always been fine also except he colicked[sp?] once.

We have had very good luck buying at auctions. We have 5 that we have gotten from an auction, (Mt. Airy, NC) and have been very happy with them all. I think you just have to be careful and ask around about the horses you are interested in first, but there are some great horses at those auctions. Especially if they are put on by Trotting C Farm.

I've had both good and bad luck buying at auction; although the bad one didn't really surprise me (both full-size horses).

The good: Tango, now 3 year old AQHA dun gelding. I bought him as a weanling colt, excellent old-time AQHA bloodlines. He's a real gem. I need to get my rear in gear and get him started under saddle.

The bad: Black Jack, grade black yearling colt. I bought him as a yearling, wintered him and sold him again. He didn't learn much of anything no matter how much time I spent with him. He seemed to lose more ground than he ever gain. I only bought him, because I felt sorry for him. He was skinny and small, but had a kind eye. But, man oh man was he dumb. (flame me if you want for sending him back to the auction, but there are too many good horses around to keep a bad/dumb one).

We've also had good and bad.

The good was actually a mare that we wanted who was a "no sale" and Larry bought her AFTER the auction from Jon and Wade. She has proven to be one of our best producing mares in our "A" program.

The bad was our first auction experience. An older mare who ended up being infertile and having arthritis in her hip every winter. We kept her and gave her a quiet retirement until a friend of our's wanted her as a pet. She continued her retirement in our friend's back yard.......

MA

Nope, I've been sorely tempted but I really like to form a realtionship with the seller so I can be the best buyer I can.

I bought my yearling filly at the Fort Worth Auction. I normally don't buy at auctions but this one was well run, we were able to stand and watch as all the horses were measured and I had been to the farm that my filly came from the year before and liked their horses.......I love my filly!

In my limited experience there are different reasons why horses show up at an auction and there are different types of auctions. Many times you will see bargains that either the previous owner didn't appreciate, didn't market well, or needed to sell quickly. Sometimes this is a way to reduce a herd, get rid of those horses that don't fit your program, or cull horses with problems. If you go to an auction just be sure to do your homework and thoroughly check over the horses before you buy. When you buy a horse at some auctions you are taking a risk. That is why they often sell for good prices - because not everyone is willing to take the risk.

I have bought several horses at auction and have been well pleased with all of them. Of course, I have looked them over carefully and checked them out. I'm assuming you mean Mini Auctions and not just general auctions.

A lot of people just need to reduce their numbers and an auction is the fastest way to do so.

I always look forward to auction time. Two coming up soon are at Sulphur Springs, TX on October 8 and at Guthrie, OK on October 15. Even when I'm not buying, I love looking.

I bought my first mare at a local auction that is held every 3 months.

I wasn't "sure" about her, but she was in sad shape and very pregnant and in with 2 others, another mare and a stallion. 2 of my friends bought the other 2, and I bought my mare.

She aborted the baby she was carrying, had horrible horrible feet, and at first vet exam it was determined by horrible lumps and bumps that she probably had some kind of horrible cancer.
unsure.gif

We biopsied the tumors. Turns out she has a disease called Panniculitis, which is quite common in Morgans. We got it under control and fixed her feet. I bred her to my stallion and she had a gorgeous filly for me last year.

She turned out so well after recouping that I hardshipped her into AMHA and AMHR and she is about the prettiest mare I own.

So in the long run........no I don't regret it one bit!!!

Here's my Ruby girl......

29150J17wowRleft.JPG

I bought her in March of 2003 and I've only been to one of the sales since, it broke my heart. There is one coming up in October, and as usual I'm thinking of going, but I will probably talk myself out of it.

See my avatar. I bought this wonderful stallion at a Mini Auction! Love him to death! MCC Feathers Touch!
wub.gif

Viki

I don't go to big horse auctions, but have had great success at miniature sales.

For instance:

A colt at the Little King (silent Auction) sale for $900 - twice reserve champion

B Gelding at the Indiana sale - Reserve and grand champion

I'd like to clarify my above auction experiences -- They were BOTH at mini auctions.

MA

I know there is going to be one really nice appy filly at the Guthrie auction
wink.gif
If I had known BEFORE they consigned her, she wouldn't have been going.

I bought a mare at a Livestock auction. They have a 2 day auction, the first day being catalog horses, the second being whatever gets dropped off. They deal mostly in big horses but occasionally get a mini or two.

My mare was an eye catcher, an Isabella palomino with the most beautiful eyes. She might have been papered at one time but the guy just dumped her and her buddies off and said "get what you can". She was a little heavy, her feet were really long and she was shy.

I'm pleased with her. She has a sweet personality. If she were conditioned, she'd probably do good in shows but I bought her for a broodmare for mules. She is an excellent mother and produced a really nice mule foal.

yes.gif

I bought three at a Sweetwater auction and still have them. One is national top

ten several times over hall of fame many grands and just an awesome companion

for my daughter. The second one is an excellent youth driving horse, and the

third will be going to a little girl with cancer because he is such an awesome

little companion. Linda B
yes.gif

Fred said:
yes.gif

I bought three at a Sweetwater auction and still have them.  One is national top

ten several times over hall of fame many grands and just an awesome companion

for my daughter.  The second one is an excellent youth driving horse, and the

third will be going to a little girl with cancer because he is such an awesome

little companion.  Linda B
yes.gif

473409[/snapback]

Sounds like you did very well!!!
aktion033.gif
What auction,and how much did they cost?[i'm nosey.]
unsure.gif
biggrin.gif

I've bought several young minis at the Spring Bluegrass Miniature Horse Club sale in Shelbyville, Ky., in April of each year, and have been very happy with them, all healthy, well-bred individuals at a price fair to both buyer and seller. The past several years I've also bought at the Hoosier Classic sale in Indiana put on by Double Diamond Farm, and have been well pleased with my purchases and with the management of both sales. Plus, as an added benefit, I've met some truly great folks that I'm happy to now count amoung my friends
wink.gif

I only bought at one auction that was sponsored by our Club and bought a horse from a friend who entered one and of course had good luck but I would never buy from an auction that someone I didn't know had entered. JMO.

Joyce

I've had good and bad experiences- the bad ones were a mare I paid $3300 for that was supposed to be pure Falabella and in foal. Never got the papers no matter how much I called (and when I paid for her in cash they said they would send me the Falabella papers) and the mare turns out not to be able to have foals. Sold her for $800 after I also trained her to ground drive- she was a sweet horse to work with though. Another not so good experience was buying a tiny "weanling" filly that turned out to be only two months old. The friends shipping her home for me bought her from me that day and she is in a good home now. I also bought one horse at auction that was better in person than represented.

Tammie

I haven't bought at auction......at least not a mini........except for the LB AUCTION on line! BEST BUY I EVER MADE!

The year after she came here Red went PtHA World Reserve Champion and went to one big AMHA show and got 1sts and 2nds in a really tough class. this year we sold her first foal for many many times more than we paid for her! Can't beat a deal like that I say
biggrin.gif

Here is our lovely Red

RedHead.jpg

I like to go watch the sales though......veeeeery educational
yes.gif

Charlotte

I have bought many horses at auction and have had generally extremely good results with them.

Latest posts

Back