Saleboard gripe

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boinky

Reaction score
Ok i never really gripe about dumb stuff on the saleboard..but today was posted one about a person in California that is starting to train mini's as service animals. I train service dogs and i've contemplated mini's.i'm not against them as a service animal (i'm skeptical about seeing eye horses though). What REALLY REALLY bothered me was that she was going on about how she only had one mare for breeding and a long list of people wanting them. well that's all fine and good.. but she asked for a free or cheap mare.. DIDN'T HAVE TO HAVE AN ON BITE OR STRAIGHT LEGS.. i'm sorry but i have a real big problem with this. a animal NEEDS to be sound to be a serviceable service animal! they need to have good legs to help support weight or whatever the individual needs. Why breed poor quality animals ontop of that? plus "the horse has to be registered so wtih this type of training if it's stolen the people need a way to proove it's theirs" bull. there are other way's than registration papers. infact i've always been told reg papers aren't always a good way of proving ownership because so many animals pass hands without them. i'm so skeptical of this!!

Maybe i'm off base but the way the post sounded it really sounded more like someone wanted a "free" horse..not tha they were really going to use it for service animal work.

Anyhow i'm very skeptical and wanted to mention it and i'd be very very careful about sending any of my animals there. If this is really legit i'm sorry but geesh..it bothers me!

Anyone else kinda feel this way?

and always ask for any appropriate papers from the state or whatever else they need to truly have a program like this , making sure they are qualified to even train animals to do these things.

I havent seen the add though

actually..in honesty you do not have to certified to train service animals legally and i wouldn't demand that myeself..but i'd certainly do more research on this individual..see what she's already trained and see if she's been sucessful with those previous animals...but it just didn't sound very professional to ask for something in that manner. anyone that truly know's service animals should konw and understand they must be healthy, strong and sound to be able to withstand the rigors of being a service animal..i think that's what gets me the absolute most! why breed animals that are not as close to perfect (which also probably indicates soundness) as possible? i'd really like to e-mail her (she probably reads the forum already..LOL) learn more about her and her operation but i don't know if that would be rude or not.

I am very skeptical also.I just sent her an e mail asking if she is registered as a non -profit organization.If not ,I suggested that she do that in order to get more donations.I think that a tatoo or brand is of more value to avoid theft.The fact that she wants only registered mares for breeding runs up a red flag.Most sincere honest therapy programs will take young non registered anaimals to be trained.If you have mares only that you are breeding it will be several years before there is an animal old enough to be trained.Too many things are not as legit as responsible breeders perceive them to be.Too many red flags.Maybe we can help educate this person and offer our help.I am in DE but maybe someone in CA who is closer could offer some help.Nice idea , but I wonder how practical it is.

i agree.. i'm not against a breeding program specifically for certain carachteristics..but witha horse it's differnt than a dog. a dog matures far faster than a horse. and as you said the fact that she only wanted a breedable mare.. doesn't sound right. I"m miffed i think because this is something im involved in myself and hate to see it "used" as a way to get free or cheap animals especially for breeding! (with bad traits!) i told my dad "my god..those traits she didn't care about are some of the worst problems in mini's..why would you NOT CARE?!?!"

You go Boinky!!!!

I feels good to vent!!

I haven't read the ad BUT you certainly make a good point!

I hate when people write looking for cheap horse with no other requirements listed other than CHEAP??????????

Yes that is what I meant i am sorry about being a non profit org.

no honestly though these people should if they are really getting into it be lisecned either non-profit org or a business someplace. What i'm not getting is... even though she's "giving the foals away for free" (which is a good ploy to gain sympathy towards your cause i guess) ...how is she going to be able to maintain this "business"... no matter what she does she is going to be putting out her own pocket money to breed (still fee's withowning your own breedig stock) and feed and train these foals. you NEED to have income someplace. and just because it's a "non profit" business doesn't mean it doesn't have money comming in nor that you don't get a salary or wages. Many times the Non-profits will have business's in the area sponsor each dog or individual the amount of the dog, training, upkeep ect..so money is comming in to produce these animals. something just doesn't strike me as being right about this!! maybe i'm just jumping to conclusions before i know the facts and details.

Frankly, if you sit down & add what it costs to keep a mare & stallion (properly) for a year, & what it is going to take to raise a foal to the age that it can be used in this manner, you are better off buying one outright & training it. Unfortunatly for the breed overall, there are a lot of minis out there dirt cheap, you just have to look. Seems like a more logical start to a program like this...

i agree white star. there are plenty of mini's out there that they could use to start with and then if they find a characteristic or trait they want later on in their program..THAT is the time to start breeding for it..but breeding ANY old mare is not what i consider breeding for a trait or quality. they'd definatly be better off to find a free, cheep or even pay good money for a young ready to train mini.

Fiona, it's a big disturbing once you've read it isn't it?!?! normally i'd laugh about stupid things like "want a free horse but MUST have XXX, XX , or XX and be X" tall ect" lol.

White star,

Love the aussie in your avitar. is it a full size or mini aussie?

[SIZE=14pt]Sounds like a play on sympathy to get a free horse to breed! or a few free horses. NEvermind that it would be 4 years before a service animal would be ready to work..... The only service I see a mini performing is stability work for a parkinsons patient or someone with ataxic disorders. This from a guide dog user for you new people that dont know me.There are official service dog schools, Paws with a Cause is one, the animals trained there AND their handlers become certified as a team when they graduate. Esther and I even have a photo ID that says she is a certified dog.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose this is about as objectionable as most of these type ads are. Nearly always, these people want mares. I saw one that wanted a free mare, "to keep their lonely stallion company" and I wrote them and pointed out a gelding was a better companion. In other words, most of the people who write ads like this are not honest about what they truly want. I doubt this woman is being honest either, but writing to her and pointing out some of the excellent points already brought up is a great idea.

Now, if she _IS_ legitimate, it is possible that she is not really good at math and has not figured out that 2 mares are not going to help out "the list" of people who supposedly want a horse. She may not be good enough at arithmetic to calculate gestation periods, foal growth etc. (Let's hope she knows better than that, but give her the benefit of the doubt.) In that case, educating her will do a world of good. Hey, maybe she does not realize that horses don't have litters!!!!

I always wondered if these ads actually work. I have always felt like putting one in myself - "Wanted, leopard mare, must be AMHR registered, and you must take in trade all my colts. Must also deliver the mare to my house."
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Think I will get any takers?????
risa_suelos.gif
risa_suelos.gif
risa_suelos.gif
risa_suelos.gif

Added: I just saw her second ad, and she says she is legit, so I guess I have to take her at her word. I guess I am glad she is at least telling the truth. I wrote her and suggested she look for COLTS. For her budget she could get quite a few! Then she would be set to go.

I still want a free leopard mare, though!!!
biggrin.gif
If anyone wants to take my colts and give me a leopard mare, feel free to PM me!!!!
biggrin.gif

humm just got home..glanced through the sale board..didn't see a second post..i'll have to look again. she obviously reads the board whoever she is if she know's we're questioning her legitimacy!

Edit: I just looked again and can't seem to find another post from her.... what number is the ad?

Latest posts

Back