Safe trees

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbiesshelties

Reaction score
Hello,

I live in western North Carolina and I would love to plant two or three fast growing but safe trees in my mares dry lot this spring. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Debbie

Hybrid Poplars are very fast-growing and safe for horses. So are cottonwood trees, but if you get those, make sure they are "cottonless" cottonwoods-- the ones with "cotton" make a huge mess every year, ugh! Though it does kind of look pretty as it floats to the ground, like it's snowing in the summer, it doesn't melt and you can't shovel it, lol!

Leland cypress is a good one too.

There are others but not as fast growning.

Try this link at: http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/

Hope this helps.
default_wub.png

Leyland cypress.They can grow very tall in just a few years.It doesn't hurt if horses eat the foliage, but you should protect the trees so your horses will not kill them.Minis love to chew on neat stuff like that.

Cottonless cottonwood. We have planted 7 of them to replace the shade lost when we had to take out huge black walnuts. They grow REAL fast and provide very nice dense shade! We mulch around the trees with stall cleanings and water like crazy.

Charlotte

Latest posts

Back