safe or not ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibquackers20

Reaction score
I have these small white things popping up in my minis fields,they look like small white mushrooms - are they safe if they eat them ?

right now myself and the kids are picking them out.Will they hurt or make my guys sick?
default_no.gif

If they are what are commonly called "puff balls", they are not a problem. We get them too.

An old time horse person from this area told us once that they were edible for people too, but I wouldn't take a chance.

My Mother-in-law used to say that if you can peel them, they are safe and if not, they are not safe. Don't know how true that is, but I can peel the ones I buy in the store.
default_biggrin.png

We always were told those were 'toadstools' and that they were poisonous. When in doubt DONT eat them!! Your county agricultural agency may have more info on what is and what isnt safe.

if they are puffballs i read they are edible. mushrooms are a tricky thing as there are some that look similar but can be extremely poisonous. If i were going to try to eat one i'd make sure i had someone that was well versed in mushrooms. I do know that puffball mushrooms do commonly grow in pastures. I have a TON of mushrooms growing in my pasture this year and have had them in the past. i don't think the horses eat them.

Latest posts

Back