Safe Arthritis Supplement?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeeOkie

Reaction score
Does anyone know of or has used an effective arthritis supplement on a pregnant mare? I have a young mare (6 y.o.) that I would like to breed again. She got kicked in the shoulder which resulted in arthritis (as x-rayed) . I have had her on supplements for a year (which she needs) but I would like to try breeding her this year. Most of the supplements say not tested on pregnant mares, or even don't use. Surely there is something that can be safely used during pregnancy.

Rita

Thanks, Becky. I'm not sure MSM is strong enough - sure isn't for me!

Does anyone else have further suggestions?

Rita

[SIZE=14pt]Rita,[/SIZE]

You might want to consult your vet about using Equioxx!
default_yes.gif
But, I don't know if it's safe for breeding mares or not!
default_rolleyes.gif
Just a thought!

Bill

I use Next Level joint fluid on my older pregnant mare who has an old stifle injury with arthritis. She has had no problems getting in foal, and her foals have been fine.

Hi Rita,

I use adequan on my mare. Her condition has been improving all thru her pregnancy. One would think with the increasing weight of the pregnancy that she'd get worse (hip arthritis), but has actually gotten better. Her troubles escalated after cover, or I would never have bred her to begin with and will never breed her again.

The package does state that it has not been tested on breeding animals as most don't need this type of medication, however after looking over what is in it, my vet feels very confident that it is ok. This foal should have no joint issues. She's due in a few weeks. I trust my vet and her confidence in this product is very reassuring to me.

Hope this helps,

Latest posts

Back