Sadie the yo-yo's Daughter: Chloe owned by Viola **Update**

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gone_Riding

Reaction score
My mare's udder has begun her development, so marestare, here we come! Sadie is 289 days. Her mother always went late, so I was expecting Sadie to be a late one too. However, it looks like that is not the case! Her vulva is a nice pink inside, it isn't lengthening, and her tail still clamps down tight. Thankfully, because I'm not ready yet and it's too early.

These were taken last night. The pink spot is where she got kicked. She healed up well from that, thanks to laser therapy and Arnica gel. Baby is moving slower now that there is less room. I've absolutely loved feeling it move the last 4 months!
Day 288 (768x1024).jpg

Day 288 side (1024x768).jpg

Udder Day 288 (1024x768).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How exciting! What breed is she? It's hard to tell from pics-a mini, a shetland? She's very pretty! What does the sire look like?
default_xreiter.gif

Wow with a vulva that relaxed and that sized udder I would be watching her closely. Is she a maiden I can't remember? Please let us know as soon as she is on cam so we can help watch her
default_yes.gif

Are you sure you have your dates correct - from your pics I would say she's pretty close to foaling, and as Renee said, I would be watching her very closely!

Such a pretty girl, I'm really looking forward to seeing what she's hiding in there.
default_yes.gif

Are you sure you have your dates correct - from your pics I would say she's pretty close to foaling, and as Renee said, I would be watching her very closely!

Such a pretty girl, I'm really looking forward to seeing what she's hiding in there.
default_yes.gif

How exciting! What breed is she? It's hard to tell from pics-a mini, a shetland? She's very pretty! What does the sire look like?
default_xreiter.gif
Sadie is a 38" AMHR miniature that is 25% Arenosa (a top Shetland line), so she looks like a shrunk down Quarter Horse. She is a maiden, so I'm watching her extra close.

I'll try to get a picture of her from under the tail in the morning if not tonight.

I've emailed the sire's owner to see if I can post a picture of him. Diane, thanks for letting me know that I should do that first. I remember reading something about that in the rules, but the reminder is nice!

Daddy's a 32" AMHA & AMHR Silver Buckskin son of "Little Kings Russian Revelation".

Sadie was bred in April of 2012, but I got her down there when she was in heat and so she was only bred once. She came back into full blown heat the end of May and, luckily, was still at the stud just in case. I brought her home when she was still in heat but refused the stud that morning. She had been bred the three previous days, May 24-26. I'm going off May 24 when I say she's 290 days. She did not have any udder development five days ago. Three days ago, it had doubled from the day before. It grew that much that fast!

This morning, her udder was down a little, but I know movement can do that. I'm going to prepare her stall this week. I meant to do it yesterday. Luckily, she refuses to poop in her stall, even when it is storming. She has a 12 x 10 stall with open turn out to a pasture that is about 120 x 120. My hubby's going to make a door so that I can close it when she actually goes to deliver. She HATES being in her stall as she spent 5 yrs in an 8 x 8 stall. She constantly asks to get out and so I let her ALL the time. Now, I'm only letting her out when I'm home. She never leaves the yard, but I don't want her delivering in my yard without me home!

Here's a summer picture of her prepregnancy without being cleaned up:

483523_10200651609478603_972150826_n.jpg

OK, so I went out and took the picture tonight and I had totally forgot to put the memory card back in the camera, so I'll try again in the morning. Her bag is down a lot and her teats are at least facing each other again. In the picture, there looks like there is beads of white, like wax, on the tips. If she was bred on that first heat, she would be due March 21.
default_frusty.gif
Egads, it could be possible, but I'm not ready! That would make her 315 days. Huh.

UdderDay3911024x768_zps452fd625.jpg
UdderDay391back1024x768_zpsf30d9b6c.jpg

These are from this morning. When I felt her, I could tell her udder is down,
default_smile.png
, so yeah! I got to thinking about the relaxation of the vulva. She was kicked there in February. She has healed up well, but it's not as tight as she used to be since as she was REALLY swollen and needed laser treatment to prevent infection. I'm still keeping track of her on further relaxation though. She's in good spirits, but thinks she's starving to death. She is so fat (and pregnant fat) that I'm worried that I should stop giving her grain. She gets one cup a day.

I agree with Diane, if she is hungry then up her intake but remember to do it gradually. If you have good quality hay I would leave her enough to munch on all night.

Okay. I've been giving her two full flakes of good quality hay a day. One in the morning and one in the evening. She usually has a little bit left over when I feed each time. I know that the baby is pressing on her stomach and so it's taking her longer to digest it. The grain she's getting is whole oats, so 6-10 cups would be bad. She's about a 6.8-7.0 on the body fat scale for horses. It's good for feeding the baby, but I don't want her to get beyond where she's at. She normally sits at a 5 on 1/2 flake of hay 2x a day. I've let her eat like crazy due to the baby.

Some people are very much against whole oats. I've been slammed about them a lot but the locals here as they are all HUGE sweet feed fans. Oats are 12-13% protein, 12% fiber, and contain 70% Total Digestible Nutrients Horses that cannot chew properly do have issues digesting the whole oats, but she has no trouble with it and they aren't passing on to "seed the pasture", as I haven't seen any in her manure. The energy comes from fat and fiber, not sugar or carbs. Due to this, less grain is necessary for the same nutrition. That's why one cup goes a lot further than another grain.

Once oats have been processed (rolled), nutritional value dives. Sweet feed has a tendency to go stale quicker. The molasses disguises it. The more molasses the feed has, the more it's hiding. Some sweet feeds are even made out of last year's left over feed. I know that feed has to go through a tight inspection, but once it's past that point, processed feeds are only good for about 2-3 weeks before their value dives too. With whole oats, they are good for MUCH longer.

I like Omolene 300, but I don't use enough grain around here for it to stay fresh. I will be using it when I go to wean the foal as it will be allowed all the grain it wants.

Can a pregnant mare get too fat?

If you are concerned about it going bad then I'd get a mare and foal feed. That way when you are done feeding the mare the foal will finish off the bag. I would be concerned about feeding that may cups of whole oats. It wouldn't be balanced well enough and could throw her calcium ratios off I think.

Your little girl is looking in good condition, certainly not fat (you should see my blobbies around foaling time LOL!!) Please be careful feeding just oats to your mare at this stage of her pregnancy - I have nothing against them, but I do know that they are lacking in many of the extras that a mare needs at this time. Years ago when it was the norm to feed oats we were also to be sure to feed salt too as for some reason this helped to stop the oats from actually leaching the calcium from the body. If you are going to continue with the oats, then perhaps, as has been suggested, a good balancer added would help supply some of her extra needs. Also remember that the new little baby must not be allowed to sample his Momma's feed if oats are included, and babies start nibbling at Momma's food from a few days old. A good quality mare and foal feed would be your best option right now and can continue to be fed throughout baby's early months up to and after weaning.

I'm not saying that oat feeding is wrong, just trying to advise what is best for a late pregnancy mare and the health of her foal.

Gotcha.

Umm, how long can a baby be in position before foaling?

She looks different to me today. She's no longer barrel shaped when looking at her from behind. She's only sticking out from halfway down, like a pear? Probably sounds funny. I took a picture, but I forgot (again) to take the memory card out of the computer.

I got permission to post pictures of Daddy, sooo

DSCN40722_zpsccbe9848.jpg
DSCN4071-Copy_zpsd2b21e91.jpg

I resized the pictures, but they still look huge to me. This is him pasture state without being cleaned up. He shed out like this with no shaving whatsoever. These were taken April last year.

With two such good looking parents,this baby is sure to be something special!!

How's Sadie looking today - would love to see some updated pics of her soon if possible.
default_yes.gif

She's up a bit on the udder tonight.
default_smile.png
It's developing nicely with the teats pointing in. I got the rest of the stuff for her stall and the baby yesterday. Now, I just gotta get the stall all ready!

What a beautiful boy!!! This is going to be a gorgeous foal!!!

Well with this cross we are looking at about a 29% chance of a Buckskin or Bay baby, 17% palomino or chestnut baby and a minimal chance of Smokey Black or Black -- about 4% for either color -- and with/without some pinto coloring! This is going to be fun to watch!
According to http://www.horsetesting.com/CCalculator1.asp, my odds are 25% Palomino and 25% Chestnut. Other colors possible are Smoky Black, Black, Bay, and of course, Buckskin; these with a 50% chance of the silver gene. How were you able to figure out those percentages? I love genetics, so I'll visit any site on them to see any other odds! I've got a huge book on equine coat genetics that I've poured over too. I find it fascinating! I like your odds on the buckskin... Besides, I know that the website I used isn't totally accurate, because Kahlua's mom is out of two pintos and is pinto. That could be passed on too. Sadie is out of a liver chestnut and a black pinto. With this combo, even an appy is possible (doubtful, but Sadie's grandpa was an appaloosa). The only thing that I cannot get is a cremello!

Kahlua is out of a Homozygous silver buckskin. I know he's not, but a silver buckskin is by far my top choice to get. Sadie's mom has always thrown the sire, so we'll see...

When I went to the breeder, it was actually to buy a 2 yo pinto gelding to drive. I didn't even know she had a stud. The stud I wanted to breed too was gelded the month before, so I had given up breeding Sadie. The nearest quality stud that I knew about was over a hundred miles away and I didn't even know if Sadie was breedable. The previous owner had her for 5 yrs, had two studs, and never bred her "or so she said". I didn't know... I firmly believed she was probably sterile. I know mileage doesn't matter when it's the horse you want, but I figured I'd be taking multiple trips.

After I said I'd take the little guy, the woman opened a barn window and said,"And here's my stud." It was like a choir was singing. Literally. I heard "Hallelujah! Hallelujah!" in my head. I knew he was good enough for my Sadie. I told the breeder that instead of taking the gelding, I wanted to breed her to the stud and she agreed! She was only 40 miles away! The stud fee was exactly the price of the gelding, so it all fell together.
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

I get the same as Diane when i use the colour calculator, what colour option did you choose for the dam and sire?

I also don't understand what you mean by this

'Besides, I know that the website I used isn't totally accurate, because Kahlua's mom is out of two pintos and is pinto. That could be passed on too.'

Im a little confused at to who Kahlua is? Is Kahlua the stud?

Im a little confused at to who Kahlua is? Is Kahlua the stud?
I did forget his name! Sorry. His registered name is Flying G's Buck N Exotic, but his nickname is Kahlua. I don't remember what I put in on the color calculator, as I did it when Sadie was first pregnant. I went off the printout.

When i use the color calculator i get these results: (dam: chestnut/sorrel Sire: Silver Buckskin)

Palomino - 16.67%

Chestnut - 16.67%

Silver Buckskin - 14.58%

Silver Bay - 14.58%

Buckskin - 14.58%

Bay - 14.58%

Silver Smoky Black - 2.08%

Silver Black - 2.08%

Smoky Black - 2.08%

Black - 2.08%

I didnt put the pinto genes into the calculator because im not sure what ones the dad has, so the foal could be any of the above colours with pinto added
default_smile.png

Whatever colour its going to be quite a pretty little one!

Latest posts

Back