Sadie the yo-yo's Daughter: Chloe owned by Viola **Update**

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my mares were all very good about me touching them everywhere but they did get snotty about it when they were about to foal so who knows
default_smile.png

We have never tried to express milk so not had your experience or type of reaction, thankfully. All our mares are happy to have us gently feel their udders daily and have always relied on this feel, plus other signs to tell us when they are about to foal. Just one of our girls wont allow us to feel her udder if we approach it via her flank and tummy, but will happily allow a feel if we go via between her back legs - go figure!! LOL!!

Did have one of our girls who required us to express her milk for a short time immediately after foaling, but she was very good about it and no trouble at all, bless her.

Have also had a few mares who suddenly became very over-loving and clingy - they foaled within 2 days!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have also had a few mares who suddenly became very over-loving and clingy - they foaled within 2 days!!
Well, she's definitely gotten clingy. When I go out there, she doesn't even stop grazing to nicker. If another horse would have been in the vicinity, I'd thought it wasn't her! She comes to me immediately when I go out there, so I had to wait forever to get a side shot of her. I took the shot of her from behind while I was on the porch. When I walk away, she walks with me. When I run, she runs with me. If I stop, she stops. If I try to look at her tail or udder, she immediately turns into me so that I will pet her face. It's adorable! I'm just not used to it!

She was easy to express yesterday and enjoyed me rubbing her udder. It was like scratching her belly to her! Not today. I have only gotten one picture of her udder and it's blurry and aimed wrong.

Sadie let me express milk today, but only after I got her cornered in her stall. She kicked me twice yesterday over it, once in the arm and the other in the leg. Luckily, it wasn't bad, but I don't like her kicking. Today, she wanted to get me with both hind feet, but by the time she tried, I was too far away. I had seen her clues that time so I got out of the way in time. Once she was in her stall, she didn't even swish her tail at me! Figures...

Her milk is light yellow now with lots of white "flecks" in it and not as sticky. My hubby brought me home a ph testing kit this morning when he got off work, since I hardly slept last night. Her hardness is at 200 and her ph looks like it's 8.4. Her hooha is half red. She pooped all day and night IN her stall yesterday. I've been keeping it cleaned up. She FINALLY pooped OUTside this morning. I hope she keeps that up!

That sounds exactly like my mare! 200 and 8.4, but her milk is like a "clear" white, if that makes sense...skim milk??

What a cutie! Hard to believe something that looks so sweet can behave so snarky! ;)

Yup! Makes total sense to me.

Tonight, she can't clamp her tail. I was able to braid it easily with no resistance. I actually chuckled when she did try to resist, 'cause she couldn't. The muscles are turning to jello and I now understand the "blood streaked" look of the hooha. It actually looks like she's a little bloody in there, but she's not! Her poop is still firm and all she's done is graze. She never even went into her stall for her grain. I'm going to put her back in soon and test her milk again. I let her out in the front yard in hopes of her NOT pooping in her stall and it worked. It's still clean!

Well, she hasn't pooped in her stall since, but her progress also seems to have reversed. She's firmed back up, her vulva seems tighter, and her bag is smaller. She's also testing -0- on calcium hardness! She was at 200! On one hand, I'm so mad at her, but on the other, I'm relieved. It's been 26-28 degrees F at night.

I'd love the baby to be born on the 29th. It will be warmer and it also the 18 year anniversary of my hubby and my first kiss! We were 16.

awww how cute! here's hoping for a baby on the 29th for you!
default_smile.png
sounds like she well could give it to you!

naughty girls for trying to kick you!

I have yet to catch her laying down, but my hubby has seen her lay down a couple times. I know that she laid down while I was inside and testing her milk, but by the time I had come back out, she was up again. I know, 'cause she had straw hanging from her belly that wasn't there five minutes earlier. Her hooha is back to a dark pink.

RearDay305_zps43b8be8c.jpg
SideDay305_zpsfb72020a.jpg
Day305_zpsedb06058.jpg
UdderbackDay305_zps18246395.jpg
UdderDay305_zps64ece678.jpg

Her tummy has moved forward which is a good sign baby is getting ready
default_thumbup.gif

/monthly_03_2013/post-45081-0-18729100-1362852287_thumb.jpg

and I can see a little more filling of the udder, she is looking good
default_smile.png

I would say another week... but she could go before that given the V she has.

Sadie's Tummy changed today... I can see where her ribs end and baby begins on her left side. And her flanks are hollow. I haven't been able to feel the baby move at all today. She doesn't want left alone. I'll test her tonight and see if I can get some sleep. The first photo was the one that I took this morning and the second one was this evening. Am I imagining it?

DSCN5105_zps76db6ffe.jpg

Her hooha looks more towards red than pink to me, can we see a profile shot and an udder shot from in between her back legs as it is hard to see due to the colour.
default_smile.png
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a shot of her udder from the rear. I always forget about that angle! It really is the best angle as it shows when it is inflated or deflated best. It's smaller than it was over a week ago...

DSCN5218_zps9a9c2e2f.jpg

By the way, the milk was salty yesterday, but it doesn't taste salty or sweet to me today.

Back