Sadie new mini mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystalsowner

Reaction score
I have been wanting to get Crystal our mini a friend for a couple month but it never really happened and I wasnt aggressively trying. Just looking here and there. A friend of mine found a couple minis mares for a good price and they were close. So we headed out to look at them. One of them was over sized and standoffish and the other wasnt much better. But one of the mini mares came right to me, and just rested her head against me and we both fell in love!! So I present to you Sadie. A 32 inch 12yr old mini mare. She is a bit rough in condition. But a real love bug, and soooo little. So eventually she will be buddies with Crystal. Right now she is away from her but I think they will be good friends. When we got her out of the trailer Crystal and her were talking

1086a83.jpg

2ccqwyq.jpg

She has lots of mane LOL

wgvlsg.jpg

Trying to tame it

1zw13y8.jpg

Tomorrow shes gonna get a good cleaning, but today it was to cold. Gonna have our vet friend out to check her over. She has some hair loss The lady said they were bites, but Im not so sure. And no idea why but they shaved her butt on both sides of her. And its a bad shave job like it was with dull clippers. Cant wait to see this gal in a couple months. Shes a cute and so sweet

Last edited by a moderator:
What a pretty girl - she will soon improve with your love and care and I'm sure Crystal will enjoy having a new friend.

Many congratulations!!

Congratulations on your special new girl. I know she'll thrive under your love and attention! Crystal will certainly enjoy her new friend!

She's cute! Congrats on your new girl! Crystal is going to love her new friend!
default_thumbup.gif

Her butt looks to me to be where she has rubbed the hair off rather than a clip. This is not unusual for this time of year. She's a pretty girl, know you will enjoy her!

lover her color too. and such a sweet face. i dont know about horses, but in dogs they tell you to let the puppies pick you out, sounds lik this mare picked you out. good beginning

Ugh a bit frustrating this little gal has some serious food aggression issues!! If shes eating and you get near her she is a kicker and a bitter!!! Even from outside her pen if you at all come up to her she kicks the pen over and over. Tried to bite me too!! We will give her some time to settle in, but the behavior is being dealt with. Just a bit of a surprise, shes so sweet when she doesnt have food.

Thank you, I love her color too.

I agree Jeannie
default_smile.png

Perhaps she was low horse where she was before, so now she's claiming her food more.

I have a mare that came from a larger herd with communal feeding only, and while she was/is chubby (so got plenty), it took her a bit of time to settle down at meal time and realize what I put out for her was hers and no one else would get it. My horses share hay, but get separated for their supplements and/or grain.

Yeah thats what Im thinking too. Poor gal. The people we got her from had her in with two other minis both bigger then her But they said they hadnt had her long. Shes actually switched homes twice in the last month. But she is home now
default_smile.png

I never call it food agression using instead the expression 'food protection' and it occurs with many horses from dubious backgrounds/treatment. Time and a quiet, safe, private place at food time usually sorts the problem out. Good luck, she's such a sweetie so I'm sure that as she settles and grows more confident that the food given is hers and hers alone, this little blip will soon pass.

Yep, she eats all by herself and I will continue to do it that way so she feels safe Glad we have that shed row of stalls I dont use much for the big horses Seems it belongs to the minis LOL.

Thank you for the info. I know we will work through it. Just a bit sad/frustrating to go from her picking me and everyone saying we bonded to know shes kicking and biting at me.

Back