Saddled up my mare tonight--**Pics** Aug/4/08

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kootenay

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if I should post this here, or on my blog.

After all the support I have had about selling Honey, I was sold--literally. Thinking second thoughts based on progress with her.

This horse must be able to feel my thoughts, as she has had a 100% turn-around. I can lead her well--(when she gets antsy I just tap on the leadrope a bit--and she complies). I've been ground tying her to brush her-fly wipe-(no spray yet)-pick her feet out--more leading around as far as ground manners.

Today i saddled her for the first time i've owned her. She was 'girthy', as a horse of her lack of training should be. She was great though. I rubbed the girth against her tummy--(loud buckle clanky english girth), and she took it like a pro. It's too bad that one didn't fit, as I had to run to the tack shop and grab a size 54--(yep--she's a moose)...lol. She took to the saddle like an old pro as per usual. I led her around for about 15 minutes, and then called er' a day.

I left the barn tonight with a big smile on my face. It was a darn good day today.

: Kim

(Edited for girth size).
default_blush.png

**New Update**--August/4/08

Hi everyone.

Just thought i'd give an update on Honey. I saddled her up again tonight after it cooled off . She did about the same-(maybe a bit calmer), but all went well. I do notice that she is not used to my loose ring snaffle bit though. I think it may be that it is a tad on the thick side. I'll probably switch to a D-ring after I get her teeth checked though.

Anyways, here quite a few pictures of our session together this evening. I couldn't decide what pictures to include, so I put in all 10 of them
default_biggrin.png
. Not our most flattering shots, but hey---we had a great time
default_aktion033.gif

Augustfourthsecondsaddlingandbri-9.jpg

Augustfourthsecondsaddlingandbri-8.jpg

Augustfourthsecondsaddlingandbri-7.jpg

Augustfourthsecondsaddlingandbri-6.jpg

Augustfourthsecondsaddlingandbri-5.jpg

Augustfourthsecondsaddlingandbri-4.jpg

Augustfourthsecondsaddlingandbri-3.jpg

Augustfourthsecondsaddlingandbri-2.jpg

Augustfourthsecondsaddlingandbri-1.jpg

Augustfourthsecondsaddlingandbridle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Now what are you going to do? I apparently need to search back posts, what is Honey? That is a huge girth. My new mare only takes a 30!
default_smile.png
Going to search the archives now!
default_smile.png

[SIZE=12pt]Yay!
default_laugh.png
I'd been following your other post & I had been looking for an update of some sort.
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

Hopefully all goes smoothly, & keep us updated.
default_wink.png

I remeber seeing pictures of her, she sure is a pretty little thing
default_wub.png

Reading this thread put a big smile on my face, too!
default_yes.gif

Being one who encouraged you to work with Honey while waiting for a buyer, I was wondering how things were going with you two. It's wonderful to hear that you are feeling a bit more comfortable with her.

A famous trainer (can't remember who!) once said, "Horse training, done right, is really boring to watch. To an observer, it looks like nothing is happening." When the horse is calm, and the handler is calm, a whole lot of learning can take place. That goes both ways!

As I said before, don't rush things, and don't take unnecessary risks. We certainly don't want you to get hurt! But it sounds like this is turning into a positive experience for both of you, so I say, good for you!
default_aktion033.gif

Great job.

Slow and easy is the way to go.
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back