'Saddle' bags for Miniature Horses??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewToMini's

Reaction score
Are there 'saddle' bags for Miniature Horses? I'd like something I could clip onto her surcingle to carry things in during our walks, and I'm not sure how to search for that, or if it even exists...

If you have a roller, just get a plastic bag, tie some hay thread to a two snap clips, hey presto.

Alternatively you could pay for someone to make one a little more aesthetically pleasing :D

I have tied plastic bags to the surcingle to pick up trash off the side of the road, but for going for longer walks and carrying lunch and supplies, I think I'd prefer something a little easier on the eyes XD

I think I could make one myself, but it would be easier to just buy one online.... although, if I did make it myself I could make it actually look pretty instead of just solid colored canvas....

I'm having trouble envisioning what you're looking for. A surcingle only gives you one mounting point?

I got a pack saddle and a set of panniers for Baby from a place in Idaho. ...but the panniers require two mounting/attachment points. I haven't seen anything that could be attached at one point and distribute weight evenly.

Good question, I looked for one for Seven and thought the one Ozark sells was a little to pricey for what I wanted. Didn't think of making one for myself.

It wouldn't be holding anything heavy. Just a long rope, possibly water, and maybe a sandwich or book. Just to make it so I could walk her to the lake (only a mile away), take it off her and put a longer line on her so she can graze while I eat lunch or read a book. I don't need anything fancy for long trips carrying heavy gear. Something small that attaches to the surcingle, I think would be perfect for my purposes.

Why not just traditional saddle bags for a saddle horse? For what little you wish to carry, they would probably work.

Check out llama packs, they might work, I've not see one personally, but know I've seen them advertised.

Regular saddle bags might work. Would they be too big, though? I don't really know how big saddle bags are, lol

Saddle bags come in all different sizes depending on what they are made out of and what they are actually made for/to do.

There are also "horn bags" which are significantly smaller than saddle bags (meant to hang from the horn of a western saddle). My mom actually uses a horn bag as her purse and loves it!!

I went to the tack store to look around today, and they had a large nylon horn bag that would be perfect. I didn't look at the price tag, but it didn't look too expensive.

They also offered me a job while I was there XD Full time with regular hours, so definitely better than what I have now. I filled out an application and he told me to call when I get my schedule so we can set up a time to see how I do XD Wish me luck!

Good luck with the job possibilities! Tack Store jobs are always fun.

Let us know what you do about your saddle bags, panniers ect! Spring is on it's way and "walks" & picnics are on standby.

Depending upon how much your horse will carry, be sure to consider balance. Equal weight on each side is preferable.

Thanks for the tip
default_smile.png

This is kind of spendy but it's the cutest thing I've ever seen. I may have to get one!!!
I didn't think we were allowed to post that sort of link. I bought Baby a similar pack saddle/panniers from a guy in Idaho.

http://www.bantamsaddletack.com/Sawtooth-Leather-Mini-Horse-Packsaddle_p_21.html

I think it was oak/poplar though. What was nice is that he "built/adjusted" the frame to Baby's dimensions. The guy was hugely patient putting up with all my questions. He required detailed measurements, and when it arrived it fit Baby like a glove. I was especially pleased with the "slant/angle" of the crossbars and those flat side thingies. (forget what they're called.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back