SAD WEEKEND

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAILS

Reaction score
LOST ONE OF MY MARES SAT. FRIDAY WE TOOK HER TO THE VET BECAUSE SHE WAS ACTING LIKE SHE HAD FOUNDERED, BUT WE HAD NOT CHANGED ANYTHING IN HER ROUTINE OR FEED. VET SAID SHE WAS NOT FOUNDERED YET BUT THOUGHT SHE MIGHT BE TRYING TO. SAT MORN SHE WAS WALKING BETTER BUT STILL STIFF. GAVE HER MORE MED BUT ABOUT LUNCH SHE WAS DOWN. WE RUSHED HER TO THE VET BUT SHE DIED SHORT TIME LATER. BLOOD WORK SHOWED NO BACTERIAL VIRUS, SO HE THINKS MAYBE SOMETHING VIRAL. ANYWAY, WE KNOW HAVE A 3 WEEK FOAL TO FEED. HE'S ON FOAL LAC AND DRINKING PRETTY WELL FORM THE BUCKET. ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE ON WHAT ELSE WE NEED TO DO? THANKS

So sorry to hear about your mare
default_no.gif
We were in your shoes in 2006, lost a mare and had a week old orphan filly.. Best thing for you guys is that he's eating well from a bucket
default_yes.gif
Our vet recommended giving yogurt occasionally to help keep the tummy 'in balance'.. Ours was on milk replacer for a while, started her on foal grain and she got to the point where she'd rather have the grain and water then drink the milk, leaving us with left over replacer, so our vet told us to just add the dry milk powder as a topical on the grain for added calcium etc.
default_yes.gif
Ours is a fat, SASSY, healthy and happy 2 year old this year
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png
Good luck!!

Edited to add:

Also want to keep his hiney clean, milk replacer may give him the runs, so want to keep his hiney clean so it doesn't chafe (spelling?)

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry for your loss, sounds like the foal is in good hands and doing what is best.

Make sure the foal get any shots needed, and ask vet about deworming being so young, and a good foal feed with added minerals.

Good luck and keep us posted

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so very sorry you lost your mare
default_sad.png

{{{hugs}}} to you and her baby.

Very sorry for the loss of your mare.

As for advice for your foal. I would keep feeding him from the bucket and there is also a milk pellet you can give him. This I would just keep out all the time. Just a little in a bucket so you can dump it out and replace with new if it stays there to long. Also my foals love soaked beet pulp and soaked alfalfa cubes. You could try mixing up a little of that with some dry milk replacement on it and then start adding grain when he starts eating it. Free choice of a good hay and try to get him with some other horses that will show him how to be a horse.

Good luck and if he is drinking out of a bucket, it sounds like he will do fine.

Latest posts

Back