Sad News

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHANA

Reaction score
Well My mare, E & J's Precious By Design foaled early this morning but had problems foaling. One hind foot was forward, the other back. Even though we pulled the foal the foal died anyway. It was a gorgeous sorrel and white pinto filly. Would have been a keeper. The worse part is I was hoping for a filly as it was not related to my stallion and I cannot afford to buy any mini mares. With this filly I would have had 3 female minis, a mini gelding and a mini stallion.
crybaby.gif

I am so sorry to hear this!

That same scenerio happened to me a couple of weeks ago too. This filly would have been a Mime granduaugher out of a son of Mimes that I sold and out of one of my best Champion producing mares!

My heart is broken as I know yours is!

Beth

How sad.
sad.gif
I'm sorry you lost the filly....but hope your little mare is doing OK?

Thanks, in the years of breeidng and raising arabian foals I never lost one, my first foal was in 1994, then one in 98, one in 99, 2 in 2000, 2 in 2001, 2 in 2002, one in 2003 and one in 2004. My first mini foal and it dies. I am sad. This is my only foal this year 2.
crybaby.gif

The vet is coming to do a coggins and worm my new filly, Sky today so I will have him do a complete check on her. She is a bit stiff in her back end, but is eating hay, walking a bit though as I said she is a bit stiff in the hind end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry you lost your little foal...but prayers for your mare that she is okay and will give you another beautiful foal.

Shana, I am sooooo very sorry to hear about your loss. We had the same tragedy here this year but not because of a malpositioning but the foal, also a filly and our first ever mini to be born here, never got out of the sac. I understand very well the pain you are going through
no.gif
It just doesn't seem fair does it. You wait all this time with excitement and jubilation, especially when it's your first and then something tragic like this happens. Hugs to you my dear. Don't give up whatever you do. Many breeders have gone through the same things and surprisingly many with their firsts. Hugs to you and your mare. Hope the mare is doing well.

im so so sorry. this is exactly what happened to us last week with our beautiful colt. He had one hind leg up to the front. by the time we knew it was too late.

Kay

Shana, I also have arabians and minis. I noticed in your picture album the pictures taken at the Tulip in 2004. Were you there this year as well???? I live just outside of Kemptville and was at the show this year as a spectator.

I'm very sorry. There never seems to be a reason for these things, and that makes it even more painful. As you've found out the hard way, minis are much more prone to problems than their larger cousins. Our first year foaling out we lost two of three foals and it was devastating. Hang in there.

Shana

I am so sorry about the loss of your filly. It is never easy to lose one. I to hope

your mare will be fine. Did you give her anything for the after birth pain. You

may want to ask your Vet about it. I am sure she is just really sore and could

have some brusing. Maybe check with your Vet about giving her some Banamine?

Spend lots of time loving her, she to may miss her baby.

Hugs

Vicky

vet came and Des has a shot nerve in her leg but vet said it will heal. He has seen worse. That is why she is a bit stiff in hind end. He cleaned her insides completely out, gave her a shot of cordizone and a shot on penicyllian. She has to have another shot of cordizone tommorow and is on penicyllian for 4 days, 10cc's twice a day. He is coming back wednesday to clean her out again then stitching her up(caslick). He said not to feel bad as the foal was stillborn and had been dead for quite some time inside the mare. He looked the foal over completely and said she was a huge foal for such a small mare. When I left Des she was laying down which vet said was fine eating hay, and was a lot more relaxed. I am to keep her in a few dasy until she is more steady on her back feet then I can let her out in her paddock. I can't breed her her foal heat but can her next heat the vet said.

Shana,

I am so sorry on your loss. It is really tough and many including myself have experienced what you have. Last year we had one present tail first and tore the mare up, but she didn't need any stitches.

Can I make a recommendation? Would you consider waiting and not breeding your mare this year? The reason I recommend this is that it would be better to give your mare a year off to fully recover from the nerve damage and the internal healing and so that you can get her cultured to verify no infections from this dificult foaling and re-evaluated for any scar-tissue that may cause complications with the next pregnancy, especially since this one was so invasive for her.

Try to take comfort in knowing that you couldn't have prevented this from happening and that you saved your mare's life by being there at her foaling.

Hugs to you and so very sorry!

Latest posts

Back