Sad news

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAPfrosty

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I haven't been on here in a while, I'm sure most of you are new to the board since I've been gone and others have probably forgotten me but I just wanted to share my sad news with some horsey people. I found out today that Fever, my 5 year old mini (in my avatar), either fractured his hip or it moved out of the socket and the vet said that either way, there is nothing that can be done and that the only thing we can do is put him down. I'm so sad, Fever was my baby. We are going to wait a week or two before we do anything since he is otherwise happy and is in no pain and I'm not quite ready to say goodbye. Thank you all for letting me share my sad news.
default_no.gif

Sorry for your trouble. How would something like that ever happen?

THinking of your little guy and hoping he is comfortable.

I am so sorry. Have you gotten a second opinion? I would do that before you make 'The Decision'! Hugs to you!!

If he is happy and in no pain, why would you have to put him down? Couldn't you keep him as a companion or pasture ornament? Is there any other option? It sounds like this is a heartbreaking situation and you will be in my thoughts. What a sad situation for you.

I think we are getting a second opinion sometime this week, we aren't going to rush into anything. We aren't sure exactly what he did to his leg but this all started after he was brought in from the pasture and was limping so it must have happened playing out in the field.

If he is happy and in no pain, why would you have to put him down? Couldn't you keep him as a companion or pasture ornament? Is there any other option? It sounds like this is a heartbreaking situation and you will be in my thoughts. What a sad situation for you.
He can't walk, so I guess in reality he's not completely happy. I meant more that he is still himself and eating and drinking and everything.

We have a very special mare who broke the end of her femur ( ball that goes into the hip socket) almost 3 years ago.

And it is true, there is nothing that the vets can do to repair this type of fracture - and we had our mare seen by some of the top university and race track vets in an attempt to repair the fracture - However in the case of our mare - a 34 inch 6 year old mare of normal weight - after 4 months of stall rest and rehab of 3 months of short stays in the paddock, she has been able to adapt very well and is able to even gallop ( on three legs) and does well in the herd - the damaged leg is 2 inches shorter and it has rotated out about 50 degrees. The muscles have adjusted. The top of her hip is atrophied slightly. It has been 3 years since this accident happened and the various vets who first treated her and recommended she be put down - are amazed at her recovery - ...............as are we - miracles can and do happen. I hope this information is helpful. We have CDs of her initial injury and I'm glad to share additional information about her case - just email me.

[email protected]

That is just terrible! I'm so happy to hear that you are getting a second opinion. Maybe there's hope for the little guy yet!

I have been thru this also - Rose dislocated her hip. We opted to have the femur surgically removed and with a lot of physical therapy & TLC and her will to live, she has adapted very well - you would hardly know that there was a problem except for the limp.

I would be happy to discuss our situation if you are feeling like talking about it. My home number is (425) 788-5184 pacific time. There are several members on our LB board who have been thru similar situations - each case is unique, but in a lot of instances your horse can live a quality life.

Stacy

Sorry to hear about your boy!

The filly in my avatar was born with a dislocated hip and fractured femur. She had surgery at 3 1/2 days old and is doing great today. Yes, it was a long recovery, but she had a strong will to live and I didn't mind taking care of her.

Dreamer at Rockin R also had hip surgery and is doing fine today. She isn't a really young mare either.

If you want to talk let me know.

Good luck with your boy!

Barbie

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry you and Fever are going through this. I hope it will turn out he can recover enough to have quality of life. Lots of miracles on this forum with other forum members! We lost our junior stallion in Jan09 to a broken pelvis/tibia after months of trying to save him and I understand how you are feeling right now.

My thoughts are with you

Shauna

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds positive that there maybe some options. Fever will be in my prayers that he can be healed and live a fufilling life. It sounds like you love and care very much for him and that you take good care of him. Sending prayers.

Happened to us too last year with a 12 yr old mare. Our mare had the surgery also and while she didn't recover as well as we had hoped, she has finally come back into her own. She has the run of the place and grazes around all day - and will, if the urge strikes her, kick up her heels and run from you.
default_smile.png
Would I do it again? I'd have to give it a lot of thought, it's been a tough year for her - and for us watching her. She abscessed at one point on her "good" rear hoof and we nearly lost her to that. I think now though she has a pretty good quality of life. The light never went out of her eyes, and that in the end was the determining factor for us. I didn't feel I could give up on her when she wasn't ready to go.

Get another opinion before you make a decision and please feel free to email or call me anytime too. [email protected]

Jan

I am so sorry. When its good, it good, and when its bad, it makes you rethink every little thing you have worked for.

I am so sorry you are faced with this right now.

I didn't forget you.

Oh no! I'm glad you're not rushing into anything. Was there an X-ray done? I would want to know exactly what is wrong. What if it's just a badly pulled muscle?

I'll be praying for you and your boy! {{{Hugs}}}

I've known 2 different people who had this same injury or at least similar

1 gelding about 5 years ago we didn't see him when he was first injured

she had no idea what happened was just that way in the morning

and the vet wanted to put him down she brought him home and kept hi on stall rest

for 4 mos with hand walking each day to prevent further problems

He was here for a couple mos while she relocated and he could

run and buck and was very happy just looked a little funny when he ran

And another more recently same thing just that way in the morning

she is coming near the end of a 6 month stall rest with hand walking

then she will be allowed in a small area alone for awhile

She is feeling fabulous it sounds and was always as sweet as before the injury

never off her feed just a sweet heart with a big personallity

she is a 2 year old coming 3. She also has a limp but never in pain after the initial injury

I am fairly new here, so sorry to meet you under such sad circumstances.

I wish there was atleast something I could say to make you feel a little better.

My prayers are with you and your baby.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. My parents have an OLD (going on 40 now) Miniature Mule that about seven years ago I rescued from an auction for $30. He had a horribly dislocated hip. The injury was too old, and we weren't able to really do much about it. We had him in a sling for quite some time, until his muscle formed a 'false joint'. I'll tell you what, that little dude is the FASTEST thing in the pasture! Doesn't slow him down one bit.

Back