Sabino VS Grey ???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueStar

Reaction score
I have a dark bay mare that I posted about on the photo forum that a few people thought may have sabino. Now I bred her to a silver grulla stallion with the greying gene...yea I know lots of genes working here. The pairing produced a beautiful "RED" filly who got her first clip and was intermixed with white hairs everywhere. But here's the thing....her mane and tail are turning silver as well but her body is getting darker like her dam but still has white hairs everywhere and she has dark eyes and the hair around her eyes is also still dark. Is it possible for her to be only sabino or both or is she greying? Either way is fine with me, I like both and think she is stunning. See pics below.

Thanks in advance.

Dam and filly June 2007

IMGP0671.jpg

tootsierun.jpg

Filly first clip July 2007

horsesjuly07_035-323x233.jpg

Filly last week-end first clip of 2008

Bodycrop2-237x216.jpg

bodyshot3-264x236.jpg

Here is a link to my first post about the mare on the photo gallery forum that has more pictures.

Post on the Mare

Thanks~

I see the Sabino there......but not the greying gene. At least not the TYPICAL greying gene because there isn't any white hairs around her eyes. She's growing up very lovely, btw.

Huh. Now I was going to say she was DEFINITELY graying as that body color seems exactly typical of a rose gray to me! Silver and grulla don't develop over time and sabino wouldn't be bleaching her mane and tail like that. She certainly has sabino, but she's graying out to boot. Pretty girl, by the way! I wouldn't mind having her in my pasture.
default_wub.png

Leia

Huh. Now I was going to say she was DEFINITELY graying as that body color seems exactly typical of a rose gray to me! Silver and grulla don't develop over time and sabino wouldn't be bleaching her mane and tail like that. She certainly has sabino, but she's graying out to boot. Pretty girl, by the way! I wouldn't mind having her in my pasture.
default_wub.png

Leia

Ditto.

Is her dad Harley?

She reminds me of him! Very pretty girl...

I think she looks greying to me....

No matter, greys are sure pretty!

Liz

Thanks guys. I figured she was grey but another opinion or few doesn't hurt. She is beautiful either way, at least we think so. Thanks for the compliments, and I too LOVE grey.

Liz,

Yep, she's a Harley daughter....we thought the same thing, she looks like him...WOOHOO!!
default_wub.png

I still don't think she's graying in the usual way.......something else is going on. Normally a horse will start graying out on their face......... But! Only time will tell, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Miniv said:
I still don't think she's graying in the usual way.......something else is going on. Normally a horse will start graying out on their face......... But! Only time will tell, right?
MA, at the risk of reiterating something I'm sure you're already aware of I've learned on LB that minis do seem to gray out differently from their larger counterparts. I don't know why that is but it seems to be true!
default_wacko.png

I believe I see at least minimal "goggles" on her foal pictures and her mane and tail are completely typical at this stage for graying. Her body color also looks like other young body-clipped gray minis I've seen. Again, different from big horses for whatever reason but fairly standard for a gray mini. I don't think I've seen one yet that grayed out first in the face, flank, throat, behind the ears and in the tendon groove on the cannons like big horses almost always do.

Leia

Definatly grey.
default_yes.gif

You could already see the dark shadows in the foal pics, wich are typical for a grey foal.
default_wink.png

I have a 2yo liver chestnut (but greying) tobiano Arab Pony filly.

She's greying but not as much around the eyes, well in saying that she only has the dark colour around 1 eye, but it doesnt look like a normal grey, greying.

She's greying similar to the mini above.

I bred a Tb x Pinto (born jet black tobiano, has a grey tobiano sire), he started greying out (obviously on his black patches) around the hocks, knees, NOT his eyes!!

Latest posts

Back