Sabino questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brookhaven

Reaction score
I have a foal that I'm pretty sure is Sorrel Sabino. Both parents are pintos. The foal has roaning throughout, two high socks behind (one being pointed), a wide blaze that falls off to the side, a white/pink bottom lip and chin spot. AMHA still has her papers and for color I put "sorrel." I'm getting ready to do AMHR registration. Can I, or should she be registered as "pinto?" Should I call AMHA and have a color correction done? I also understand there is no genetic testing for sabino but since both of her parents are pintos, could she be homozygous? And if so, would she throw sabinos, tobianos or both? I also have a colt that has a minimal amount of roaning throughout, both parents again are pinto, but he has no white markings. I understand he could be a minimal sabino, but registering him as a pinto might be pushing it. But, can he throw pintos? Thanks for your input.
wacko.gif

I don't remember how R vs. A lists their colors, but I know if the world matched genetics a pinto horse should be listed by their base color and then pinto pattern. Like "Sorrel tobiano," etc.

It sounds like your filly probably is a sabino, but would likely be listed as a solid color since her markings do not occur on the body. The colt would not be listed as a pinto. He may have the genetics, but "pinto" traditionally describes white markings on the body.

JMHO

Leia

I have a little mare who was registered as a Red Dun. She is not. She is a minimal Sabino. When I took her permanent, I explained to AMHA that she is definately NOT a Dun and described her Sabino roaning that is equally spread throughout her body, face, and legs. I also sent several pictures of course. They changed her color to Red Roan. She is not that either. They simply do not have a catagory for Sabino. Pinto would not be accurate either (visually) unless there is white on the body. Sometimes you just can't win.

nash003004.jpg

In regards to the question, "Would she throw Tobianos?", Not unless she also has the Tobiano gene. Sabino and Tobiano are two entirely different genes.

Latest posts

Back