Sabino or appy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
This is one of our 2008 colts, he's starting to get white hairs in his black areas around his flanks.. Is it sabino or is he starting to appy out? He does not appear to have any other appy characteristics, no striped hooves, no mottling (that is visible) around mouth/privates..

Here's his pics:

His sire is a black near leopard overo-appaloosa, bald face, blue eyes, OLW negative:

His dam is a silver dapple/black (we think) pintaloosa:

HGFarm

Reaction score
It appears he has white sclera in the picture.. that can be an appy characteristic that would encourage coloring out. Some of the Minis dont have heavy mottling, etc... to go with it, and still color. I have a couple like that.

crponies

Reaction score
Given his parentage and his white sclera, it could very well be appy. However, it could be sabino too. I guess time will tell!

Miniv

Reaction score
At this point, considering his pedigree, it's a crap shoot!

AppyLover2

Reaction score
I've looked and looked and have to ask you guys where are you seeing white sclera on those pictures??? I know what it is but which picture do you see it in??

rabbitsfizz

Reaction score
Skipping right to the end here...

I do not see any Appy characteristics at all.

My own Pinto foals, NO Appy, have that little white bit in the corner of the eye, one has full "sclera".

I see Splash and Sabino (maybe).

No Appy.

I think the dam is Sabino too, again, no Appy.

AppyLover2

Reaction score
I may be mistaken but I think you can see a bit of white in any horses eye....just depends on the position of the eye when you're looking. Perhaps she can take a picture of his eye so we can get a better look. This is my big leopard's eye - full sclera here.

He's definitely a cute little fella - appy or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
Here's a few more head/eye shots, none that are super close though..

I think the dam is Sabino too, again, no Appy.
There's definitely no question about his dam being/carrying appy, she's got the dark appy spots within her pinto markings, striped hooves and mottling galore! She's produced a leopard appy filly by a non-appy (no appy in his pedigree either) stallion.

Here you can see her mottling on her mouth and eyes:

Joanne

Reaction score
I think he is a black tobiano pinto. I see no other white marking traits.

ohmt

Reaction score
I think he COULD be appy...it's a possibility. We had a solid bay filly born last year by our few spot and were really disappointed as we thought he'd throw 100% color and this filly had NO characteristics at all except some sclera. This year she is finally shed out and she has a bunch of roaning and it's getting to be more and more as time progresses. Last year I couldn't count one white hair on her. She doesn't have mottling, striped hooves, or any dark spots. But she's definitely appy now!

Latest posts