?s about raising my filly now is a month old!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joann

Reaction score
Well little Summer is a month old and doing very well. I just want to make sure I M doing everytrhing I am suppose to be doing for her. and at the right time.

Tommorrow I will worrm her for the first tine using safeguard . and once every month until 6 months when I will use Ivermectrin. then will continue monthly worming rotating uses safequard and ivertmectrin

till one year.

vacinations start when she is 4 months starting with E/W. Then will need rabies, tetanus and west nile.

Questions I have:

DOES SHE NEED A TETANUS NOW? SHE HAD ONE AT BIRTH.?

WHEN DO I START GIVING GRAIN? SHE HAS BEEN EATING SOME THAT MOM DROPS WHEN SHE IS EATING. HOW MUCH DOES SHE GET?

WHEN CAN WE USE SHAVINGS AGAIN? WE STILL HAVE HER ON STRAW.

thanks everyone for helping me with all the questions i have. As i have written before we havent had a foal in years and i cant find all my notes or my bible" Complete book of foaling! Just want to make sure I am not forgeting anything.

For grain, let her eat with mom. As she gets older, she will eat more. Just give mom extra, per instructions on bag, as baby eats more.

The foal only needs to be on straw for birth. Within 24 hours, you van switch to shavings. They only recommend straw for foaling because of the shavings will stick to foal and they can inhale it.

Depending on your setup, baby doesn't really need bedding and can be turned out majority of the time.

Our babies are out with the herd with shelter. No bedding.

Ditto to Magic Marker's post....

We feed extra to moms and the foals share it....both hay and grain. By this time our foals and moms are outside with shelter too......

(We use grass hay instead of straw in the birthing stall. It's not so "pokey". But then it gets raked out about 24 hours later.)

You don't need to give your baby another Tetanus shot until she gets her 4 month ones. (We give a 5-Way as our standard shot.

It covers everything needed for our area.) One thing we are careful about is, we don't give any extra shots all on the same day.

It's easier on their systems.

OMG we have had her on straw since she was born!! my husband will be thrilled we can use shavings again. her and mom out side all day but we lock in at night. they have access to stall all day though. They are in an area by themselves with their own shed and our stallion is in area attached to the barn. Mom doesnt like Dad any where near her little one.

So I will give a 5 way at 4 months and then rabies around 5 months. and she will be good to go!!

Thanks for all the info.

Unless you can weigh the horse, you have to estimate.

We have taped our adults, so pretty much k.ow their weight.

As for foals, depends on size of baby. Our babies tend to be small. Our filly now, at 8 months weights less 100 lbs. We would give her wormer at the 100 lb mark. Doesn't hurt to give extra.

Latest posts

Back