RV Toy Haulers used to haul Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky Horat

Reaction score
I've seen a few people convert a Toy Hauler RV into a "Mini Hauler". We would like to see pix and some info on how you did this. Thinking this might be a great way for us to go. Would also like to know the negatives of this as well. One of my main questions is how you tie the horses in the back. Wondering how much design changes that were needed. How do you tie horses to outside of trailer as well. We're thinking of selling our current 5th wheel RV and getting one of these for our long distance travels. We have a nice horse trailer, but wanting to find something for us to camp in while at shows, etc.

I'm not sure what you've seen or are considering. I personally would not consider putting one of my horses in a tow vehicle w/o two axles. Some don't have a problem doing so, but I feel it's a real dangerous accident waiting to happen...

These are not cargo trailers and have 2 axles. They are an RV with open space in back for hauling Quads, etc. We would of course make sure there is enough bracing and floor support, etc. These areas are usually designed to hold 3 Quads or race cars, etc. Quads can weigh as much as 2 or 3 minis. Thanks you Shana...that was the post I was looking for. I was going to email them with any questions. Also wondering who else has done this? We would not be going to that extreme....don't need to haul that many.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have seen two toy haulers converted in back for minis, and that is what we would like to do.

I converted a cargo trailer and it worked well for me, and is still working great for the lady I sold it to. It would be the same idea for a toy hauler. I built stalls using PE gates that are 4' long, and built in sturdy mangers to attach it too. did the same with every big horse trailer since.

rubyviewminis & ruffian - Have a question on tying areas. How or where do they tie horses to outside of trailer?? Were they able to weld tie rings on the outside? We are planning on making dividers of some type, but agin wondering if they were able to find braces on sides of trailers for tying while hauling...or did you just relly on the stalls/dividers? And ruffian....what are PE gates?? Thanks for the input.

Hi Becky, We have a Work and Play that we converted into a mini trailer. its designed to haul a Car so the back area would be longer than the toy haulers for the quads . Research the type you get to be sure the walls are thick enought to support tying the horses. All of them are constructed differently.You can ask the dealer for the schmatics on it. And like the previous poster said dual axels are a must . We actually cut windows in ours and placed them low for the minis. Ours is more basic and rustic than a lot I have seen and does not have the luxery of some of the toy haulers. However we have really enjoyed it.It does have the front living quarters with full bath kitchen and 5th wheel bedroom. What i like about toy haulers is the ceilings are taller, its wider than a horse trailer and you can install gates and still have room to walk behind your horses and feed them on the road . Ours will haul 8 minis , but we seldom carry that many. We can put in only the number of gates we need and use the left over space for carts etc.. We also installed a cart rack on top of the hauler. We can prep the horses in the trailer at one day shows by leaving out the last few dividers out . We can also tie them in the trailer between class so that they can eat hay . By having dividers that they can see through , they get plenty of air ,and can see each other and stay relatively calm..

What I don't like about it. Since ours is designed for a car its built lower to the ground. We would love for it to be off the ground more. As I said before the living quarters does not have as much luxery as I would like but we do have everything we need.Jim is getting ready to convert a friends beautiful new toy hauler soon. Hopefully we can get you some picutres of that one when its finished. Their horses will face the front and can be accessed that way to feed them. We have a couple pictures of ours at our web site at http://www.blueblaze...e.homestead.com I will try to post a couple on this post tomorrow.

Jim has bolted rings to the outside of the trailer to tie the horses. He also ran two aluminum bars and bolted them to the sides of the trailer inside to attach the gates too. This is stronger than just bolting the individual gates to the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back