Rural King Brand Feeds (Senior Complete Feed)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been feeding and have been rather happy with the ADM Ultra Fiber that I have been feeding for about a year, however, i've become rather unhappy with the local ma and pa mill where I purchase it from. Its a long drive to, and I usually have to wait behind several grain trucks to get in line to pick up my feed, and the price jumped to just under $20/bag this week. I understand the price hike was to come, but for it to raise $6 in just about 5 weeks is a bit much. This mill is known for jacking prices all the time, I don't think they get much business as they are very small, but I love the ADM feeds and they are the only ones that have it.

Everyone does real good on the ultra fiber feed, even my growing ponies, but the broodmares that now have 3 - 4 month on foals on their side are doing so so on it. I guess I am to where I am asking myself....could I find a better feed for a little less or even the same price. A rural king just opened up near me, after looking and buying a couple bags of their Rural King Senior Complete feed, I am wondering if anyone else has tried it? I know most people have good luck feeding senior complete feeds to their herds. It is $15.66 for a 40lb bag, and doing the math it would = around $17.88 per 50 lb's of the senior vrs $19.15 for the 50lb of ADM. Would be feeding the same amounts of the senior as the adm too from what I have found. The rural king feeds are made by cargill.

I've not had anyone on it long enough to know for sure what I think of it. I have a friend who feeds the $9 rural king 12% sweet feed and her horses do nice on that, but i'm not sure that is the type of feed I want my horses on. I feel better with a higher end feed....

Not familiar with it but I know neutrena provides AWESOME feeds for the same price! That's all we use for our seniors, broodmare, foal, and show horses! They have safe choice for all ages, senior for the golden oldies, mare and foal for lactating, pregnant mares, and foals! It's wonderful stuff!! People always say how healthy our horses look and our farrier said they are the best lookin horses in the county!

I could never stand Nutrena horse feeds, and I know cargill mill makes their feeds which is why I am a bit leary about this rural king brand feed. Cargill also makes Purina feed, and I fed strategy for years and loved it but anymore I just feel like they have a quality issue. Nutrena just does not agree with my ponies, they never have looked how I expect them to on nutrena feeds.

The one nutrena feed that I liked was the XTN feed. I cannot even imagine what that price would be now, and the nutrena feed mill here would have to special order it in which would mean I couldn't count on it always being there. I've thought about just trying to safechoice performance feed, the original safechoice feed is crap in my opinion. But the performance feed seems like it would be okay. I think I am just getting to picky!

Oh no no...the safe choice is miracle!! Every professional horse person uses it here! They just changed their recipe! If you would like pictures of our horses just pm me your email and I will show you them! They get ridden about 3 days a week and are on a 6-7 acre pasture 24/7 and get neutrena feed! They are not blanketed or given any extra supplements. It is purely just pasture and neutrena safe choice and senior! We pay about $15-$17 for it at l&m stores!

Latest posts

Back