Running out of ideas on aggressive mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
I first posted about Ruby back in November when she quite suddenly changed from a sweet, do-everything, go out with anyone mare, to being aggressive to other minis and people. The first thoughts - which forum members agreed with or suggested - were hormones, ulcers, or Lyme Disease. In the intervening months she has been treated with Gastroguard (months at a time), hormones (Regumate and/or shot, also for month plus) and Doxycycline (for Lyme, full month treatment) with no improvement from anything. She was also treated by a massage therapist who found all the muscles on her left side to be sore, which she often sees in Lyme. Note that Lyme is EXTREMELY common in CT where the disease was first discovered, and Ruby's first test in November showed only a moderate titer. Her latest Lyme test, just when treatment was started, actually showed improvement indicating a case that was "resolving" but we kept up the treatment anyway. Ironically she ate better while treated, and she was also on Gastroguard during that time.

The latest is that she is losing weight from an already thin frame (body score 4.5 last fall) and very thin now. She is kept in her own stall with outside run because we can't turn her out safely with anyone. She is next to the herd though, so not alone. Just this morning she tried to bite me when I reached in her stall to feed her. She acts like she hurts, but does not seem lame. It seems to still be the left side, since she fights/kicks when you lift her right hind leg. She has come after the stall cleaners whom she knows well. Her diet consists of free choice grass hay, soaked alfalfa cubes with soaked beet pulp, a cup of Nutrena Safe Choice, with Stomach Soother mixed in. She gets this twice a day plus more hay at lunch and more hay and soaked alfalfa cubes at bed time. Some days she eats well but many days she doesn't. We try to cater to her tastes.

The vet was here yesterday and took blood for a complete work-up but he really doesn't have any ideas. Maybe the blood work will suggest something. I think he is testing for Cushings, which I understand her dam has, but wonder if that would cause these symptoms?? One thing we noted yesterday was that the spot on her neck that was clipped for the blood test last November still has not grown back. It is not obvious because the rest of the hair on her neck is so long. She has had a sort of trace clip on her sides/belly due to the hot weather we are having but I don't dare body clip anyone this early. It WILL turn cold again.

Any ideas at all????

It sounds like you've covered all your bases, except perhaps trying an animal communicator while you wait for the latest blood test results. Did you have her ovaries USd to check for tumors or cysts, growth of either can cause problems (although, I'm not to sure that treatment with Regumate wouldn't resolve either issue).

I have a gelding that was diagnosed with Cushings at Thanksgiving time, and he's much improved on his pergolide. Considering that one sign of Cushings is an excessive hair coat, the weird thing about him, is the area I shaved right before his diagnosis, while it has grown in, its not near as thick or long as the rest of his coat (which he is slowly starting to shed thanks to his meds and proper diet).

I knew I forgot something - she wasn't ultrasounded to check for tumors, but we did have her blood tested for "inhibins" which I think is supposed to check for ovarian tumors. Good idea about the animal communicator - I will contact Bonnie Fogg!! I think she might have even met Ruby at a horse show long ago.

Good heavens you have done everything for this horse. You are amazing. Just going to throw this out there for the heck of it. The only thing I can possibly think of is that you said this came on her quite suddenly........So I'm wondering she could have had some sort of accident; perhaps she collided with something or had a fight with someone or even hurt herself in the stall somehow and maybe has a fracture? I'd say to go for an X ray, but then, which part would you X ray if she seems sore in different places? To me a sweetheart of a mare like this changing so drastically would indicate pain. Just wondering if you gave her any banamine if you would see a change. I'm sorry that is all I can come up with.

I was thinking along the same lines as marty- perhaps you can find a good chiropractor or someone who does body work.

Just a thought.

I hope you find an answer.

Thanks for the ideas! I did have the massage therapist - I know, not a chiropracter, but someone I know and she was to help . I can't imagine it is a fracture as she isn't lame.

Here is a recent very short video of her trotting: http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/targetsmom/?action=view&current=Ruby_trot.mp4

I wish my other minis could trot like that!

Actually, one more thing I just tried was a joint supplement, but her soreness seems more like she doesn't want to be touched, not like a joint or bone issue.

Good idea about the Banamine - that would tell us it is pain rather than hormonal or behavioral.

Good heavens you have done everything for this horse. You are amazing. Just going to throw this out there for the heck of it. The only thing I can possibly think of is that you said this came on her quite suddenly........So I'm wondering she could have had some sort of accident; perhaps she collided with something or had a fight with someone or even hurt herself in the stall somehow and maybe has a fracture? I'd say to go for an X ray, but then, which part would you X ray if she seems sore in different places? To me a sweetheart of a mare like this changing so drastically would indicate pain. Just wondering if you gave her any banamine if you would see a change. I'm sorry that is all I can come up with.
Id have to agree with Marty , as this came on so sudden my first thought would be pain , if its central in her body such as the pelvis or back for instance , the lameness would not be as obvious because the pain is not one sided

I was also wondering about ovarian cysts. Also, have you done a complete lameness exam? Some horses are lame in more than one place and don't appear lame. It sounds like she is in pain, the trick is to find out where it is coming from. I had a jumper that started refusing and it took us a while to figure out that it was both hind ankles. He never 'looked' lame.

Other ideas are enteroliths. Maybe some x-rays are in order.

Hi Mary,

So sorry to hear that you can't figure out what is going on. I don't really know what else to suggest vet-wise, but will suggest more bodywork. I recently started learning/practicing the Masterson Method with my horses. It is sort of like massage. The horses love it and you really end up having a 'conversation' with them on what is hurting and helping them release.

You can find more info here:

http://mastersonmethod.com/

I bought the dvd and book and highly recommend both. It is a very user friendly method. The dvd lets you see it working and the book you can take to the barn. You can google youtube clips of him too.

All the best,

Angie

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read an article tonight in Equus magazine March 2012 issue that reminded me of your mare. She ended up being diagnosed with polysaccharide storage myopathy (PSSM). The mare in the artice was a Quarter horse.

OMG, I am so sorry! I sure hope they can find something and get her back on the road to recovery- I am stumped!! Please keep us posted on what they find with the latest blood work if anything. I've never known of a horse having ovarian cysts that would lose weight like that, however, I have never had any personal experience at all. I feel so badly for you, I know you are worried.

I too would think a chiropractor might be in order. My son's Welsh mare got very aggressive toward people and other horses right after we got her. I was ready to give her back to her seller and out of desperation, I tried a chiropractor--what a difference!!! OMG, she became soooo easy to deal with immediately before even putting her back in the trailer to go home, and within days she was the pony I was promised she was. I honestly had begun to wonder if she had been drugged when we first saw her and brought her home, but people who knew her seller said she wouldn't do that. She was just in extreme pain.

Just read an article tonight in Equus magazine March 2012 issue that reminded me of your mare. She ended up being diagnosed with polysaccharide storage myopathy (PSSM). The mare in the artice was a Quarter horse.
I read the same article and was thinking the very same thing.

Call Bonnie Fogg. She's amazing. I recommend her to everyone. I've had her do three 'trouble' mares and it gave me alot of insight into how to handle their distinct personalities. She's definitely worth it.

I third the "call Bonnie" thing- call Bonnie!

She will tell you what is wrong, and, I have to say, she is rarely wrong about it.......

Call her, please.

Yes, Bonnie is definitely next on the list. As I think I said, she may even know Ruby, as Bonnie has met me and some of our minis at shows. I plan to do it through her website and send her a photo and the background information. Will keep you posted!!

Well, I just got off the phone with Bonnie. Ruby has a terrible sinus headache that is also making her throat hurt, and she is REALLY mad at me because I haven't figured this out yet. Her other major issue is a vertebrae out of alignment in the croup area which is causing hind leg pain. So more antibiotics and a chiropractor seem to be in her future.

According to Ruby, I am not a good momma at all.....she has lost her patience with me.

According to Ruby, I am not a good momma at all.....she has lost her patience with me.
I shouldn't laugh, but that is too funny.

So glad you contacted Bonnie and she had some news for you, so you can get to work fixing Ruby up.

I am so sorry, but I may have giggled a bit at your last post too. You really are a FANTASTIC horse mommy! I hope Ruby feels better soon.

Latest posts

Back