Running big horses with minis???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suen

Reaction score
I have a very gentle, 23 year old gelding that acts like 90 now. Never has been agressive except when feeding time, then tends to make sure no one gets his food. He and the minis are all out on pasture, althouth separated.

My question is: does anyone run big horses with their minis? And if so, what sex, and any problems?

Twice now I have come home and found my (now) 3 1/3 month old filly in with my gelding. First time she was 3 weeks old, this second time she was 3 months old. We have a fence not even a small dog can get through, how she did I have no idea..we have checked fences..no way!!! Anyway....she just hangs with him, looks funny as heck...he is 16 hands...you can imagine how small she is next to him. Obviously he isn't going to hurt her. Wondered if possibly putting my mares in with him since he seems to be compatable.... They seem to be ok with him from across fence lines...

The quick answer is, NO. It's been done, sure, and many people will say that they've never had a problem, but it's always fine until one day it just isn't.

I personally know people who had a big horse and a mini together and they did great for years, utnil one day they went out to find the mini's hip broken from a kick. The size difference is so immense that a kick that would just warn a similar-sized horse will break bones or smash in skulls. Same with a bite, there can be some real damage. If you are willing to chance something horrific happening to your minis that could have been prevented, then go ahead, but most people will tell you it's an accident waiting to happen.

my friends mini was left crippled when her mini stallion and riding mare got in together , she was in season and in the excitement she tried to get low enough to mate and accidently laid on him , l know of another mini that was found with a broken leg after being turned out with a larger pony

I used to have a 12 hand mule that I kept with minis, so she wasn't all that much bigger than them. She actually fought off two dogs that got in the pasture and were trying to attack one of the minis. But, the very next week she attacked the same mini and I had to get her away from him!
default_new_shocked.gif
So, no I would not put another bigger equine with minis, things can change in an instant! Heck, I would not even let a big dog in with minis, like in Magic's avatar. I've seen the damage that a dog can do them.
default_sad.png

WEll, considering how I feel about my mini's, looks like they will stay by themselves. And... see if I can't keep "Houdini" on her side where she belongs!! May have to have put her in a steel cage!!! Thanks everyone

I have a mare that always seems to have Houdini babies, they are a darn nightmare
new_shocked.gif
This years filly got in with her full brother yearling and he kicked her, luckily I was stood right near but I have had to move all the boys away as she can get through anything, she now hangs out with my mare that lost her foal and even tries to feed. Her brother was the same last year.
no.gif
None of my other babies have ever been a problem apart from this mares kids, I guess she is just a modern mum ( or just fed up lol)

I would try and move your horses around for a while to make sure she doesn't escape again into the field with your big guy just to be on the safe side.

Good luck
wink.gif

My opinion too- big and little running together? NO! Everything is just find, until it isn't! Only takes once- even not a maliciousness by the bigger horse- just an accident. I have known of others who have had minis with broken bones, a fatality, etc... from doing this. Even sold one who was killed by a big horse reaching in over the fence and grabbed her by her neck and broke it. The horse was not even in with her but shared a fence- the big horse was 'just playing' but it killed the filly. Some big horses absolutely dont like ponies or Minis. I always kept mine seperated when I had the bigger horses- with a space between their pens.

we had a mare standardbred racehorse in with our minis with no problem.. in fact the only horses she ever liked were the minis. If your gelding is that gentle and acts that old I don't see a problem! If he is only aggressive during feeding time then just make sure there are several small piles of hay out so they each have their own(if you pasture with hay)

Add my voice to those saying 'Don't do it'. The bigger horse may NEVER show aggression, but can do deadly damage in play or mild aggrievation. It happened here about 20 years ago--I was gone for only about an hour, but in that time, someone was here, left two gates open(I KNOW it wasn't me; it was quite windy, and one of those gates would have hit me in the back had I not fastened it after doing AM chores)...but when I returned, my mini stallion had gotten out (through those TWO gates, and crawled through a 4 barbless wire fence into our adjoining pasture), where my 'big', and easygoing Paint gelding was turned out for a little grazing.When I drove in, I saw the both of them grazing peacefully yards apart, but when I immediately went to get and lead the stallion back to his pen, he could hardly walk. One hind leg was broken, the 'top' of the major bone of the lower leg literally 'snapped off'..I'm sure he 'challenged' the gelding, and in annoyance, "Jess Freckles" had kicked him.

Only vet around here did surgery on him, repaired the leg as best possible,and he lived on to breed mares again(siring some National AMHA winners), and had a life of normal length, but he always had a severe limp, and as time went on, the tendon shortened on the back of his pastern, pulling his hoof back until he ended up walking on its front surface. I has to 'saw' his hoof growth off periodically w/ a hack saw.

Margo

You've gotten some great advice. Many have done it with no problems, but it is all about the sheer size and strength difference. An innocent "warning" kick from a big horse only smarts on another big horse, but can kill a mini. I had a baby, Poopy actually, that got away from me and got under the electric fence and with my riding horse before I could catch her. She probably was about 15" tall at the time and just a few weeks old. My riding horse was a 17.1hh, 2100lb palomino belgian. FORTUNATELY, my riding mare just pinned her ears and walked away but it could have been disasterous in just a split second.

I always wanted a picture of them together since they looked like twins - both that white palomino shade, but it was never worth the risk to me.

I have had three different acquaintances have experiences with minis and large horses...and not one of them was good.

1/ She ran them together for years, tried to tell her not to, but she "knew better"...until one day as they were running and playing, the larger mini bucked and kicked her reiner in the knee. There ya go, $14,000 reiner 0 - mini 1...the FORMER reiner is now a cheap pasture pet.
default_sad.png
default_no.gif

2/ Minis kept separate, but one day the mini stallion ran through the fence, and with one kick, her riding gelding broke his neck...that is how fast it happens.

3/ Gal puts mini out with super-kind 30 year old former riding mare. they got along great. One day, the old mare simply drops...and falls smack-dab on top of her companion, almost breaking his back. They ended up putting the old mare down, and almost did the same with the mini. He is very slowly coming back, is able to get up and walk now, but is not "out of the woods" yet.

I would not take the chance.

You always get some people who have done it for years and it's OK- to that I will say "So far"

The problem is it does not matter how gentle the big horse is, horses kick, it is their nature, it is their way, simple as that.

A fly kick, at nothing, a "joie de vivre" kick on a spring morning, a "hey get away, that's MINE" kick just a gentle one, mind. That is ALL it takes.

So, basically if it hasn't happened, it just hasn't happened...yet.

I think it's like deciding to ride in a car without your seatbelt. You might be okay for years, or even always... but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. Sometimes "you" get lucky, and sometimes the law of averages will factor in.

I think it depends on the horses (both the big and little one's) personalities. I have a mini that is a companion for a big mare that had to be separated from the herd for dietary reasons. They get on great. BUT this big mare has been a mom, is super gentle and had shown me that she would tolerate my little dog barking and nipping at her heels without kicking her. All the warnings about aggression or playful kicks doing damage can also be said of foals in with their moms and other horses. Your old gelding has proven himself gentle with the little one already, but would your mares tolerate him? My friend had a mini that absolutely ruled her herd or all size horses! So, I think you have to judge your situation and decide for yourself. Oh, and yes I have a mini in with a sweet mare but I will NOT let the mini in with my main herd because I have a young very playful gelding that I would not trust with her; so obviously there are situations where it's not a good idea.

I have my 14.2hh stock horse with my mini and he loves her!! he is a gelding she obviously a mare... my best friend also has her gelding in with a mini pony mare ( and the gelding is only real young) both boys love their girls!! we both seperate them for feeding in my friends case the mini is too busy bossing the gelding ( trying to get his food Lol) in my case, my stock horse can't work out which feed is better, (even tho the mini's is definitly less.) sometimes my stock horse can get a little cranky with Penny (my mini) but she is as quick as lightning and gets out of there, the only thing he ever does is put his ears back saying give me some space... lol and she does very quickly.

I think it depends on the horse and the mini, I had them next to each other for 2 months before starting to let them in, under supervision then in all the time (except for feeding.) and obviously the gender, no probs to speak of, know of another breeder who has their mini's in with their arab and yet another one who can't even put their mini's in the paddock adjacant to... it really depends on the horse.

I think it depends on the horse and the mini, I had them next to each other for 2 months before starting to let them in, under supervision then in all the time (except for feeding.) and obviously the gender, no probs to speak of, know of another breeder who has their mini's in with their arab and yet another one who can't even put their mini's in the paddock adjacant to... it really depends on the horse.

I think if you read all the posts here again, you will find that it isn't always A/ the mini that gets hurt, and B/ it isn't necessarily a fight that causes damage to either.

It will work very well...until...it doesn't.

totally agree with you, you have to know what both mini and big horse is capable of, and if you notice any sign at all then seperate them, cos it isn't worth it for the mini, the horse or youself.

just my views on the topic anyway.

Latest posts

Back