Rule change to stop shaving horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I guess I might as well throw in the towel as what will happen when I slip and take off eyelashes accidentally?

It is not my preference to do so, but on some horses, it helps to take a bit of the edges off the eyelashes, not all, but some.

Also, I like the look of some razoring. If it is against the rules, I will have to comply, but who's going to check the length of body hair?

After my #10 blades have been sharpened a few times, they clip closer. Does this mean I will be disqualified if I use them?

I just don't see this being enforceable.

Liz M.

Well I am just so sick of this subject (as it never seems to go anywhere).......

I don't see why people can't do what they WANT and not worry about others. No one is making anyone do anything they don't want to.

If you never want to bodyclip your horse - good for you. If you want to clip with a #10 - good for you. If you want to clip with a #15 - good for you. If you want to clip with a #30 - good for you. If you want to clip with a #40 - good for you. If you want to razor - good for you. If you want to Not razor - good for you.

That is my perspective plain and simple.

Now - just for reference, I clip all my show horses with a #10 and #15 on body, #30 on face and razor the face, but I do NOT take off eyelashes (unless I have a slip)

But I don't critize those who don't follow my path, I just do what I like.

Amen Erica...

I am so sick of people criticizing those who choose to shave with a 30 or ...even dare razor their horses. It’s getting old...and I for one am oh so sick of the comments.

Bre

Sorry, but though I don't necessarily care for razoring/close clipping, I wouldn't ban it...its a choice.

Eyelashes...sometimes slips happen, however, how about, "Clipping of eyelashes is strongly discouraged".

As far as I am concerned, it is cruel to shave a horse with any blade closer than a #10. Really in winter a #10 is to close, but that would never pass. All minis will appreciate you writing to AMHA for a rule to be established regarding grooming of horses for 2006.
Cruel to use a 15??? Or a 30 on bridle path and muzzles?? Bad - and incendiary - and frankly - insulting choice of words. Well, lock me up then. It is indeed VERY tiresome the way some decide what is cruel and what is not.... and then try enforce their way upon others... why only contact AMHA about it?? Go after AMHR too...

After their recent photo shoot - the mares here went outside and rolled and played in their shaved 10 and 15 coats and 30s on their faces. They have their eyelashes, thank you very much. I did keep the one pinto in for a few days - poor thing - an entire arena to bounce around in...
wacko.gif
.. as she had lighter skin across her back and I was cruelly keeping her out of the sun... SHAME ON ME!! - but she was happy. No one told her she was abused, I guess. A SALES board should not be the forum for such a petition anyway.

And how on earth would you enforce such a thing?? Microscopic hair examinations??? A SWAT team?? (Shaving With A Ten)

I'm with Erica on this one... well said, BTW...
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe there should also be a rule that exhibitors can not shave any part of their body nor wear makeup. It is not natural.

*LOL* Neil, that would be interesting/scary, indeed.

I'm glad everyone is speaking out against this ridiculous idea.

It is not that I agree getting overly extreme with the grooming is the way to go, but to try and make rules against such arbitrary practices is silly.

I had visions of people going around w/calipers and determining which horses had too little hair, etc.

I've seen the horses that have been groomed "to the extreme" up close, and nothing really suggests to me that they are unhappy. Yeah, they have a lot of oil/makeup on, etc., but ultimately, it wipes off right after the class and they are done.

I guess to me it should be a choice, and I have overheard a few judges this year grumping about too much makeup/grease, so food for thought.

I usually do razor and have clipped w/a #30 on the body, as well. I also try to keep the makeup to a minimum, opting for a slightly shiny look, but not dripping.

My horses do ok.

I highly doubt this kind of thing would pass a vote.

Liz M.

I think Erica said it beautifully.
yes.gif
aktion033.gif
yes.gif

Robin

Oh come on seriously???? Cruelty??? Uh open your eyes! There are horses tied to posts in dusty junkyards with no water, there are horses being starved, beaten, and other CRUEL things, this is real cruelty and what we should be trying to stop. Not a little niggly thing like clipping/shaving. Sorry but i just dont see this going anywhere.

This reminds me so much of the rules in the Arabs, you are not allowed to ginger or clip off eyelashes, but guess what they still do, so even if the rule passed it will still go on.
wacko.gif

I'm with Erica on this one.
aktion033.gif

While I don't bodyclip other than for early shows, and personally find razoring repulsive (I clip but never shave the muzzle and clean up under the chin), I would rather change people's opinion by showing how other approaches can look great and win, not by legislating such a change.

On the other hand, anyone who gingers should have a piece of that stuff shoved up under their tail!

I think this rule will fall at the first jump because it suggests cruelty in something that a lot of people have done, without really even thinking about it , for years. If it is going to be put forward with any hope of passing it has to be broken down into it's components. For example I have not see anyone come on here and down and out say "Eyelash clipping is really good for the horse" So...start there-

"This society , on Welfare grounds,strongly discourages the removing of horses eyelashes"

then...

"This society strongly discourages the razoring of horses muzzles" (That one will never get off the plate)

If the eyelash thing were passed it would go in the rule book. Judges would read it. They would still make their choices, and it is unlikely that a horse would win because it's eyelashes were missing (I just cannot BELIEVE that would happen now- such a thing would actually be illegal here!!) but the Judge, when faced with a decision between two horses, would have to take it into account. Thus I would think, the practise would die a natural death, especially when a few sheep- who do it because they think they have to in order to win, see horses with eyelashes , winning!!

The clipping?? I think it's a nonsense, sorry. If you really disagree do what Susanne and I are doing- go out and win with a horse in full coat!! I've had more than one person say they probably won't bother clipping quite so often- they actually preferr the depth of colour my horses have!! The thing a lot of people do not understand is that we who choose not to clip still have to put all the work, possibly more work , into the presentation, as those who choose to clip. Of course you cannot goop up an unclipped horse, but there is lots else you can and must do if you wish to win. My Arabs were never clipped- English Arabs are not clipped so they were always shown au naturel- so this is just back to basics for me, and FAR more fun!!!

I agree with Erica that it's a choice to be made as to how we groom a horse for show.

What I am most definitely opposed to is invasive and surgical procedures to enhance conformation, specifically electric accupuncture and liposuction.

There are some horse pracitces that are cruel. Gingering, soring, and the ol' tie the stock horse's head up for so long that when you take them into the ring they just hang their head. These all cause the horse some pain.

Balding? I don't know. To me it is one of those iffy ones. I know that, from personal experience, growing out hair on some parts of the body after it has been shaved is irritating, other places it doesn't matter.

Personally I don't want to do it and it makes me a little nervous when people say that if they slip they cut of the eye lashes, what about the eye? But that is just me I would be too worried about cutting the eye. To me... I just don't like it, but to each his own.

Well said Becky! I think electric accupuncture and liposuction are truly cruel! And, I havent seen a rule passed against THAT.

Everyone contact your Director and see what kind of a response you get on THAT one!

Viki

Well I am just so sick of this subject (as it never seems to go anywhere).......
I don't see why people can't do what they WANT and not worry about others. No one is making anyone do anything they don't want to.

If you never want to bodyclip your horse - good for you. If you want to clip with a #10 - good for you. If you want to clip with a #15 - good for you. If you want to clip with a #30 - good for you. If you want to clip with a #40 - good for you. If you want to razor - good for you. If you want to Not razor - good for you.

That is my perspective plain and simple.

Now - just for reference, I clip all my show horses with a #10 and #15 on body, #30 on face and razor the face, but I do NOT take off eyelashes (unless I have a slip)

But I don't critize those who don't follow my path, I just do what I like.
I couldn't have said it better!!!
aktion033.gif
As for it being cruelty, I think that many of us that show pamper our horses more than ourselves.
wub.gif
I clip exactly the same way Erica described above and I also put sunscreen on my horses if we are showing outdoors.

Liposuction????????electric acupuncture???????you've got to be kidding?????Are you saying that there are people in the miniature horse business doing this to win?????????Please say no..
no.gif

This topic is getting redundant. If you really want to make progress, stop shaving the silly little v on their rearends. Like judges can't tell the tail set or conformation of the croup. Or even better, stop soring horses backs so they scrunch down and measure shorter. Now that would be a lively topic.

Latest posts

Back