Rule Change Proposal - process and input?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying minis

Reaction score
So I'd like to put a rule change proposal in, but not sure how to do so (AMHR), and not sure if it maybe has been discussed before and not done for some reason. In Showmanship, I think it would be better if the pattern were worked from the gate, and the exhibitors would be released after the pattern. It would speed up the process for local shows (which they would like), and would allow release of exhibitors from the arena at Nationals (which would mean not standing in the arena for an hour!). Ribboning could be done just like the other individual work classes, coming back in as you are called for a ribbon (Nationals) or ribboning at the gate (local shows).

I have to admit I have a somewhat selfish reason for wanting this changed. I can not physically stand for that long, so at Nationals I'm likely to show PMC in Showmanship. I would prefer to show Open, but I know that my MS literally would not let me finish the class at Nationals if I have to stand that long. I know that bringing in the class and lining them up at local shows doesn't take that long per class, but with the number of showmanship classes offered, and most local shows trying to save time wherever possible, those extra minutes saved would, I think, be appreciated.

So my questions, what do you think? Worth pursuing? And if so, what do I do next? I'm a technical writer (my job) so I think I could put together a good proposal. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I am totally with you at Nationals, local shows really isn't that big of deal but at Nationals you are for sure standing there for an hour. I showed in Showmanship at Nationals as a youth and could not stand it, I went back into showmanship last year and I felt like I was going nuts. I love the class with the new patterns but I really questioned going back into it at Nationals this year but probably will.

Not sure it would save time for shows doing it this way but would for sure be a relief to exhibitors at Nationals. Sorry I can't help you out on the rule proposal I know there is a form on the site for rule proposals and its due by July 1st.

I'd support this proposal. The "in and out" format has been done at almost all of the open and 4-H shows in my area for the last several years. It's nice not having to try to stand and wait next to a horse that's doing circles, rearing, etc....and a real plus if your horse does those things that you don't have to stand in line.

I think it's a great idea, are there any downsides from a judges point of view?

Considering that most of the judges I've shown to this year wanted to run from the gate, I'd guess not : )

I think the only thing would be that for judges who like to walk the line-up, there'd be no line-up. Having said that though, of all the times this year and last that I've shown (probably at least 10 shows with over 25 judges) NOT ONE has ever walked the line-up.

Could this also be the time to change the inspection "movement pattern" to coincide with most other breeds.

Looks good to me. Hope the board accepts it and brings it forward at Convention.

I've had 1 show where the judge worked the line up this year. What they can easily do is if the judge wants to work the line they can always call back the exhibitors back in the ring once everyone is done and line up and let the judge work the line, just make the exhibitors stay in order but don't have to show the whole time. This proposal will not only help the exhibitors but also the horses so they don't have to show for over an hour.

Latest posts

Back